By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 sells 1.2 million over first weekend

curl-6 said:
Ucell said:

I didn't downplay it. Its the first Wii U game so far that I'm actually interested in! And I'll surely buy a Wii U once Bayonetta 2 and X arrive and its price reduces by $50. So I do care about it.

As for Watch Dogs, having actually played the game, I can surely say that it is a great game. So I am just saying its quality and hype would make it sell better.

Btw WD has had to have tons of hype and 5 platforms to barely outsell MK8. So thats actually praise for MK8.

Comparing a game on 5 platforms with an installed base of 180 million consoles to a game on one console with a 6 million install base is a rather moot comparison to make in the first place though. WD has 30 times as many users to sell to, and that's not even counting PC.

Oh Gosh... i have basically just posted the same... next time I should get to the end of the topic instead of letting my Nintendo fire overcome me )))

Switch!!!

Around the Network

On one side best for wiiu and impressive yet at same time extremely low for what is likely the biggest franchise and biggest release U is going to get. Call me crazy but this is the Halo Uncharted from Ninty for wiiu. If either of those hit such a number in such a time, impressive it would not be. All a matter of which perspective you roll with.

I think I said 600K. So wrong!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

BeElite said:
On one side best for wiiu and impressive yet at same time extremely low for what is likely the biggest franchise and biggest release U is going to get. Call me crazy but this is the Halo Uncharted from Ninty for wiiu. If either of those hit such a number in such a time, impressive it would not be. All a matter of which perspective you roll with.

Uncharted =/= Halo in this sort of context. If Uncharted 4 launches at over 1 million then that will be a great result, considering Uncharted 3 is the only one to break 1 million at launch and that was with a comparatively huge PS3 install base.

Halo 3, Reach and 4 all launched north of 3.5 million, so a <1.5 million launch for Halo 5 would be a disaster for the franchise. And not forgetting that 360 install base for Halo 3 launch (the biggest selling of these 3 halo games) was only 12 million, so even with a relatively low Xb one install base expectations for Halo 5 should be pretty big. All the die hard Halo fans, of which there are millions, will be getting a Xb one even if almost no one else does.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

fedfed said:
Ucell said:
curl-6 said:
Ucell said:
I think Watch Dogs on all platforms combined will have a higher debut.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Did I hurt your emotions? If so, then I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

I am not sure if you hurt his emotions but i guess that your comment is kind of obvious no? 1.2 milion Nintendo WiiU exclusive vs a Game out on 4 platforms that combined have sold more than 25 times WiiU...

At least I hope for Watchdog!

But you are forgetting that MK8 is well established popular IP and high selling game whereas Watch Dogs is a new IP which has seen huge criticism before the release about graphics downgrade and sold more than 50% only on small install base of PS4/xbox one.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
Ucell said:

You'd kind of hope that a big-name game releasing on 5 platforms for which (across the four for which install bases are known) there is a combined install base of over 175 million units would have a higher combined debut than a game releasing on just one platform with an install base just over 6 million. Especially when the former releases a few days earlier in the week, thus having more days to sell for.

Indeed, I'd suggest that, if Watch Dogs doesn't manage to outsell MK8 by a factor of 2 to 1 for the week across formats, then it has been outperformed easily by MK8.

And you're forgetting which game will have the best legs.

biglittlesps said:
fedfed said:
Ucell said:
curl-6 said:
Ucell said:

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Did I hurt your emotions? If so, then I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

I am not sure if you hurt his emotions but i guess that your comment is kind of obvious no? 1.2 milion Nintendo WiiU exclusive vs a Game out on 4 platforms that combined have sold more than 25 times WiiU...

At least I hope for Watchdog!

But you are forgetting that MK8 is well established popular IP and high selling game whereas Watch Dogs is a new IP which has seen huge criticism before the release about graphics downgrade and sold more than 50% only on small install base of PS4/xbox one.

I give you the new IP discussion but as we know critics and low graphic issues don't really matter for this type of  gamers... look at COD Ghost sales... but we will know soon enough!

Switch!!!

Aielyn said:
Ucell said:

You'd kind of hope that a big-name game releasing on 5 platforms for which (across the four for which install bases are known) there is a combined install base of over 175 million units would have a higher combined debut than a game releasing on just one platform with an install base just over 6 million. Especially when the former releases a few days earlier in the week, thus having more days to sell for.

Indeed, I'd suggest that, if Watch Dogs doesn't manage to outsell MK8 by a factor of 2 to 1 for the week across formats, then it has been outperformed easily by MK8.

Don't worry, it has done that. I'll take a stab in the dark here and guess that Watch Dogs PS4 will be the best selling game for the week.

BeElite said:

If Halo and Uncharted were released when there was a mere 6 Million consoles sold for each respective platform and they managed to reach 1.2 million in 2 days of availability, then yes, that would be impressive. 

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"