By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 sells 1.2 million over first weekend

biglittlesps said:
DolPhanTendo said:
Sweet! I wonder how many consoles were sold as well.

Me too, how many are MK8 hardware bundles from this 1.2 millon? Anyone can guess? If they are high numbers like 200+ then nintendo should have mintioned(like a % of hardware bundle contribution in this) i think, may be not and its been purchased mostly by existing base.

According to the UK's figures, 82% of all WiiU's purchased this week were MK8 bundles. So it will push the numbers up.

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
BeElite said:
On one side best for wiiu and impressive yet at same time extremely low for what is likely the biggest franchise and biggest release U is going to get. Call me crazy but this is the Halo Uncharted from Ninty for wiiu. If either of those hit such a number in such a time, impressive it would not be. All a matter of which perspective you roll with.

If Halo and Uncharted were released when there was a mere 6 Million consoles sold for each respective platform and they managed to reach 1.2 million in 2 days of availability, then yes, that would be impressive. 

Article says 4 days for Kart, and if either one of them dropped tommorow and did that it be a major disspointment on here. Espcially when a low end ps ip like Infamous does 1m in 9 days.  By the way is the 1.2m shipped or sold to customers ?, because UC3 shipped 3.8m units day one so next Uncharted doing 1.2m in 4 days would not be impressive to me given the current strength of the franchise. 

BeElite said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
BeElite said:WW

If Halo and Uncharted were released when there was a mere 6 Million consoles sold for each respective platform and they managed to reach 1.2 million in 2 days of availability, then yes, that would be impressive. 

Article says 4 days for Kart, and if either one of them dropped tommorow and did that it be a major disspointment on here. Espcially when a low end ps ip like Infamous does 1m in 9 days.  By the way is the 1.2m shipped or sold to customers ?, because UC3 shipped 3.8m units day one so next Uncharted doing 1.2m in 4 days would not be impressive to me given the current strength of the franchise. 

WW its 3 days with only Japan having 4 (Australia 2 days).

Also its still selling good, was just sold out on one of the european Countries Amazon today and is still ranked 1-3 in all countries on amazon now :)

Ucell said:
I think Watch Dogs on all platforms combined will have a higher debut.

Wow! A game that came out for the X1, PS4, 360, PS3 and PC has a higher debut than a WiiU game? Who would have thought?!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Ucell said:

Wow! A game that came out for the X1, PS4, 360, PS3 and PC has a higher debut than a WiiU game? Who would have thought?!

lol so true.

KArt vs PS4 watch dogs is the intresting sales battle. 

Around the Network

Damn. So, where are all the users here that said people who felt that this would happen were morons?? Hmmm?

Anyway, this is awesome. I will be picking the game up at some point. It will be nice to know I will be part of a massive racing community. :)

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

BeElite said:
AZWification said:
Ucell said:

lol so true.

KArt vs PS4 watch dogs is the intresting sales battle. 

Watchdogs(PS4) > MK8 FW but MK8 > Watchdogs(PS4) lifetime :0

Both really impressive non the less (Watchdogs as a whole and MK8 for a game on a Dead Console :P )

BeElite said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
BeElite said:
On one side best for wiiu and impressive yet at same time extremely low for what is likely the biggest franchise and biggest release U is going to get. Call me crazy but this is the Halo Uncharted from Ninty for wiiu. If either of those hit such a number in such a time, impressive it would not be. All a matter of which perspective you roll with.

The article is incorrect. 3 days of sales in Japan, 2 days in N.A and E.U. Sales data ends Saturday as Sunday is considered the first day of the week.

You are forgetting about the size of the install base when Uncharted 3 was released.  Uncharted 3  1.35 million sold to a consumer base of 55 million people. That is a drastic difference in comparison to the paltry 6 Million on the Wii U. I would be willing to bet the bank that 99% of Sony fans would be very impressed if UC4 moved a similar amount of units in the same time frame to an install base the size of the Wii U. There is no way on God's green earth UC4 could come close to shipping 3.8 million with only 6 million consoles in the market. 

As for shipped vs sold, people are specualting but there are no definitive numbers yet whether it is shipped or sold so for that we will have to see. Nintendo did mentioon that it included digital sales so it very well could be sold to consumer.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The article is incorrect. 3 days of sales in Japan, 2 days in N.A and E.U. Sales data ends Saturday as Sunday is considered the first day of the week.

You are forgetting about the size of the install base when Uncharted 3 was released.  Uncharted 3  1.35 million sold to a consumer base of 55 million people. That is a drastic difference in comparison to the paltry 6 Million on the Wii U. I would be willing to bet the bank that 99% of Sony fans would be very impressed if UC4 moved a similar amount of units in the same time frame to an install base the size of the Wii U. There is no way on God's green earth UC4 could come close to shipping 3.8 million with only 6 million consoles in the market. 

As for shipped vs sold, people are specualting but there are no definitive numbers yet whether it is shipped or sold so for that we will have to see. Nintendo did mentioon that it included digital sales so it very well could be sold to consumer.

Its a premier franchise, user base excuse goes out the window.  If Halo5 dropped tommorow it would still do millions on X1 even with its even smaller then wiiu user base.  People own xbox for HAlo, one would think given the popularity of the comment people own nintendo consoles for nitntendo games nintys biggest franchise would do impressive numbers for the market not just its console. 

Should also factor in how game starved people are right now, especially for a mega franchise with such quality.  This isent infamous or forza type franchise, 33m sold last gen iv read this plenty on here.  Id expect more from a mega ip on any console right now of similar user base.  But to each his own. 

It had better top 4 million by year's end! Certainly will at this rate. I mean, who amongst the people picking up a WiiU in the next 3 months would not be picking up MK8 with it? Not many you'd think.