By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

RenCutypoison said:
Fusioncode said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Best controller ever invented.

Better than the 360 controller? 

Better say only nintendo controller adequate for fighting genre. (N64 is for 3 handed aliens and wiimote and whatever wiiU's controller's name is are not quite the best)

I agree. Though to be fair, if someone likes it, they like it. If they love it, they love it. People have different hands and experiences and preferences. If we were all the same it'd be damned boring.

That said, you sound like someone who I could agree with most of the time on this subject lol. The three handed alien thing made me lol.

Around the Network

I am all for experimentation with controllers and adore the Wii-U Gamepad... but The Pro-Controller is simply not as good as the Gamecube controller. Gamecube controller and Gamepad - Happy Twilord!

As a very critical fan of Nintendo I must say that Smash Bros in particular seems to truly be a game made for all the fans. They are incorporating lots of feedback and seem to be trying really hard even if they aren't 100% meeting all of our admittedly critical expectations. I think this game cube controller adapter is just one more way they are going out of their way to include and engage an audience whom might have felt left behind or slighted in the past. I can't see how that can be a bad thing and hope to use it in the winter to play the game.

Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Same reason why sony fans believe that their PS3 controller which is a 1996/7* PS1 design (= tacked on analogs without much thought put into it to counter the N64 controller) is superior to 360 controller.

People are simply used to the controller and it has better analog sticks than the WiiU controller. + no delay because of Wired. Wireless is just dumb for tournaments.

(*1996/7 because of analog stick version original was obviously earler)

The Gamecube controller is one of the best controller designs ever created. It was super comfortable and the button layout was perfect/gorgeous.

My only gripe is that when they went to Wii they completely changed the controller design and I never got the opportunity to see a perfected GCN controller design. I hope the next Nintendo console uses and updated Gamecube style controller. This is coming from somebody who thinks the 360 controller and PS4 controller are near perfection.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Same reason why sony fans believe that their PS3 controller which is a 1996/7* PS1 design (= tacked on analogs without much thought put into it to counter the N64 controller) is superior to 360 controller.

People are simply used to the controller and it has better analog sticks than the WiiU controller. + no delay because of Wired. Wireless is just dumb for tournaments.

I'm a Sony fan and I've never once said that the PS controller was better than the 360 controller. Stop generalizing. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Too many gamers are afraid of change, which is the same reason why, in 2014, we're still stuck with shitty circa-1997 dual analogue controllers.

Fusioncode said:

In my opinion, the gc controller is the single best and most comfortable controller ever. This is beyond huge. Beyond!

Fusioncode said:
JazzB1987 said:
Fusioncode said:

I'm a Sony fan and I've never once said that the PS controller was better than the 360 controller. Stop generalizing. 

I never said you said that so stop jumping to conclusions okay?

Its like saying "same reason german sounds angry" or "women buy shoes"  its common sense that not everyone does it  I didnt think I had to state the obvious....

Chill please.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Best controller ever invented.

If it were the best controller ever it would be able to play all genres with ease. Unless you have 7 year old girl hands, the d-pad is not going to work for you with any kind of precision. Playing THPS3 on that console was like trying to take a dump while standing on my head. The controller was also so gimped that one of their own flag ship games (Metroid Prime) couldn't even use both analog sticks due to the fact that the C-Stick was nothing but a little nub. The Z Button was also kind of iffy.

It was a very comfortable controller, but nothing even close to "best ever."