By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

This new is big is because it's like I just got divorced and get to use my hand all over again. It fits like a glove.

Around the Network
Panama said:
Because the tourney scene has been using it for over a decade as a result of the Wii having less than stellar controllers for Smash Bros.

Had a good laugh at some of these comments though.

kinda funny huh :) Also these have wires, i dont thinksome people are taking that into consideration!

Arkaign said:

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better.

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to.

Better controllers objectively than GC :

NES, SNES, TG16, Hori Commander Series, Wii/WiiU Classic/Pro Pads, Xbox OG 'S', Xbox 360, DS2, DS3, DS4, XBO, etc.

EDIT : Forgot the DreamCast pad, which craps all over the GC controller as well. Silly me. Sega pads were usually awful, but the DC one was outstanding.

Aw, man, what a load of....TRUTH :D

It's what most people have been comfortable with since Melee.

4 ≈ One

if this doesn't embed can someone do it for me...the gif is great.  

http://gfycat.com/NeatHonorableAmericanblackvulture#?format=gif

Around the Network

Just imagine:

What the GameCube controller only needs to be perfect is a bigger D-Pad, like the one of the Gamepad or Pro Controller.

DevilRising said:
The answer to the OP's question is:

Because a bunch of whiny tourney nerds who think THEY are the only fans that matter when it comes to Smash, complained to the heavens that this new SB was going to be HORRIBLE, because they couldn't cling to their beloved GC controllers, because don't you know, Melee is the best game ever created.

And as we all know, the squeaky wheel does sometimes get the grease. SO much so that Sakurai is even bending over backwards to put a Tourney-Tard mode in the new game, with No Items + Final Destination being the rule. I'm surprised the mode didn't also include Fox Only.

Jesus fucking Christ. So much ignorance squeezed into one post.

But out of curiosity, why do you seem to care this much about a non-issue? All Wii and Wii U branded controllers will be supported and no one will force you to use the Gamecube controller. 

Also, tourney "tards" never asked for Final Destination-only. That part just shows how limited Sakurai's and the Namco team's knowledge is about the competitive Smash community.

I've never played a Smash Bros without a Gamecube controller, because I'd rather not use the Wiimote when I've played it on the Wii, but I don't think there'd be any issue using the Wii or Wii U Pro Controller over the N64 controller as long as it works.

If the Pro Controller works, there's nothing that the Gamecube controller can do that the Pro Controller can't. One reason why some people make the comment that it's the best Smash controller and reading through two pages I haven't seen one person mention it, the C stick. Yes, you can do smash attacks with up, left, down, and right plus attack, but the C stick is more efficient, as not only will you never fail to do your smash attack, you'll be able to do the smash attacks quicker, even if slightly. As long as one of the Pro Controllers allow the right analog to replace the C stick, then there's really no need for the GC controller.

I always call people sheep a lot, but it's opinion I have that most people just follow the popular opinion and I think most people who say the GC controller is required to play SSB are just sheep following the popular opinion.

best controller ever that's why

Meh, GameCube Controller was okay, nothing more.

It was too small for my tastes, and I don't even have big hands. It was on par with the rest of the 6th Gen controllers, but definitely behind the 7th Gen's and most of the ones from the 4th and 5th. I find the WiiU Pro-Controller, which I haven't even used very often yet, to be far superior.

However I barely played Smash (and never the GC Smash), so if this old controller magically makes competitive Smash players even a single percent better, then good for them. It's release naturally isn't hurting me, so I hope those that want it, will be happy.