By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

Mystro-Sama said:
Meh... I'll using the Pro controller anyways.

Yeap.

It's funny seeing younger gamers react to older stuff. One of my friend's sons is 12, and he came over to play various retro systems. Basically PS2 is super SUPER old to him, and he grew up playing 360 exclusively. He hated all of the old controllers except the Xbox OG, Dreamcast and PS1/PS2 controllers, I'm guessing for reasons of familiarity.

In terms of quality, assembly, action, accuracy, etc, the GC controllers are pretty bad. And the D-pad is a hilarious joke, it's smaller than a Gameboy D-pad. I give Microsoft a fair amount of crap, but the same era Xbox OG controllers, both the S and the big monster model absolutely shine in comparison.

Serious GC players often seek out the legendary Hori import models, as they bring the quality and precision that at least are up to par (they are still smallish with nonsensical layout).

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Yeap.

It's funny seeing younger gamers react to older stuff. One of my friend's sons is 12, and he came over to play various retro systems. Basically PS2 is super SUPER old to him, and he grew up playing 360 exclusively. He hated all of the old controllers except the Xbox OG, Dreamcast and PS1/PS2 controllers, I'm guessing for reasons of familiarity.

In terms of quality, assembly, action, accuracy, etc, the GC controllers are pretty bad. And the D-pad is a hilarious joke, it's smaller than a Gameboy D-pad. I give Microsoft a fair amount of crap, but the same era Xbox OG controllers, both the S and the big monster model absolutely shine in comparison.

Serious GC players often seek out the legendary Hori import models, as they bring the quality and precision that at least are up to par (they are still smallish with nonsensical layout).

@bolded:  Couldn't disagree more - unless you're talking strictly the D-pad, which does suck on the GC controller.

archbrix said:
Arkaign said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Yeap.

@bolded:  Couldn't disagree more - unless you're talking strictly the D-pad, which does suck on the GC controller.

The GC controller was very well made, and worked fine in every non-FPS game out there. The build quality and precision were all perfect.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I have a half dozen or so original GC controllers at the moment, and they all feel like crap to me. Just not precise or well constructed.

Anyway, relevant : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1_6c3ITuI

VanceIX said:
archbrix said:
Arkaign said:

Yeap.

The GC controller was very well made, and worked fine in every non-FPS game out there. The build quality and precision were all perfect.

Indeed.  Fantastic controller all the way around (aside from the D-pad, as I mentioned).

Around the Network

Are people seriously thinking the GC controller is well made? They just feel so ... cheap.

Oh hi :

Jesus, if everyone loves the GC controller so much, it makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't just stick to that design. Like Sony has been doing since the PS1.

And, off-topic minor rant here, doesn't that mean that they could've easily added GC compatibility on the Wii U? I don't think it would increase the cost at all (and to this day, I hate the fact they removed GC from the Wii later on its life cycle. I still don't get the reason).

It's "just" one of the best controllers of all time. All Nintendo controllers after that were shit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm very glad I've held on to my original Wavebird for all these years.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Arkaign said:
Are people seriously thinking the GC controller is well made? They just feel so ... cheap.

Oh hi :

Bro we get it. Who ever likes it obviously played it. If you dont like it its fine but jezus... Your trying to sell us on "Hate the GCN Controller" :P