By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

It's a fantastic controller, without doubt.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Arkaign said:
Are people seriously thinking the GC controller is well made? They just feel so ... cheap.

Oh hi :

Bro we get it. Who ever likes it obviously played it. If you dont like it its fine but jezus... Your trying to sell us on "Hate the GCN Controller" :P

Hahaha I am mostly just playing. I know how it is to like something specific that not everyone agrees on.

For me personally it's so bad I can't even enjoy any game while using it. But other people feel the same way about Playstation controllers, Xbox controllers, etc, etc.

In the end it's just subjective. People stating objectively that it's a great controller are wrong, just as I can't state objectively that they're terrible. Subjective =! Objective. People stating that it's a great controller for them, or that it sucks for them, that's what it's all about :)

Arkaign said:

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better.

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to.

Better controllers objectively than GC :

NES, SNES, TG16, Hori Commander Series, Wii/WiiU Classic/Pro Pads, Xbox OG 'S', Xbox 360, DS2, DS3, DS4, XBO, etc.

EDIT : Forgot the DreamCast pad, which craps all over the GC controller as well. Silly me. Sega pads were usually awful, but the DC one was outstanding.

This i preposterous and condesecending : I grew up with the Atari 2600 stick and the NES pad, and I don't care much for either but, by your, *snicker*, logic, I should think one of those is the greatest controller ever, even though I don't care for either.

And awful Sega pads?? The 6-button Genesis and the Japanese Saturn pad are exemplars of digital control, neither of which I grew up with, and I *still* use a USB Saturn pad for any game tha tdoesn't require analog controls on PC, but I guess that's just nostalgia clouding my judgment!

Wired controller = less latency. Important for fighting games, Wii U doesn't have an actual wired controller so this is important for tournament players.

tbone51 said:
Arkaign said:
Are people seriously thinking the GC controller is well made? They just feel so ... cheap.

Oh hi :

Bro we get it. Who ever likes it obviously played it. If you dont like it its fine but jezus... Your trying to sell us on "Hate the GCN Controller" :P

You mean, the little post-it stickers didn't convince you? 

Around the Network
ECM said:
Arkaign said:

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better.

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to.

Better controllers objectively than GC :

NES, SNES, TG16, Hori Commander Series, Wii/WiiU Classic/Pro Pads, Xbox OG 'S', Xbox 360, DS2, DS3, DS4, XBO, etc.

EDIT : Forgot the DreamCast pad, which craps all over the GC controller as well. Silly me. Sega pads were usually awful, but the DC one was outstanding.

This i preposterous and condesecending : I grew up with the Atari 2600 stick and the NES pad, and I don't care much for either but, by your, *snicker*, logic, I should think one of those is the greatest controller ever, even though I don't care for either.

And awful Sega pads?? The 6-button Genesis and the Japanese Saturn pad are exemplars of digital control, neither of which I grew up with, and I *still* use a USB Saturn pad for any game tha tdoesn't require analog controls on PC, but I guess that's just nostalgia clouding my judgment!

No, that's just personal preferences. The 6-button Genesis and Saturn pads are too sloppy for my tastes. Any D-pad with exposed corners and a loose center mount is weak imho.

You are responding to my semi troll post, which I made in sort of a caricatured response to people worshipping the GC controller like it's the best thing ever made. Hell, it very well might be ... TO THEM. But certainly not for everyone.

Of course, there are some controllers that are so beyond terrible that not even nostalgia can save them. Intellivision, 2600, 5200, Coleco, etc. Horrible, lol. Personally, I think the NES controller, hard corners and all, was the first seriously great controller. The SMS was alright, but again the super exposed corners meant that precise rapid changes in specific directions were difficult (super easy to accidentally hit diagonal unless your press was VERY VERY direct to the pad).

Person A thinks the PS4 Controller is amazing, and the XB1 controller is mediocre, in his opinion. He is correct.

Person B thinks the PS4 Controller is mediocre, and the XB1 controller is amazing, in his opinion. He is correct.

Person C states that the (insert console here) controller is the best thing ever made, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. He is INCORRECT :D

Arguing about contollers is like trying to convince different people all to agree on the same piece of music. Impossible.

archbrix said:
tbone51 said:
Arkaign said:

Oh hi :

You mean, the little post-it stickers didn't convince you? 

lol someone noticed :D heheheh trolololololo :D

In all seriousness, MY GOD that PS2 to GC controller adapter made my year. I went from not being able to enjoy any GC games to loving the hell out of the experience.

Arkaign said:

lol someone noticed :D heheheh trolololololo :D

In all seriousness, MY GOD that PS2 to GC controller adapter made my year. I went from not being able to enjoy any GC games to loving the hell out of the experience.

Fusioncode said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Best controller ever invented.

Better than the 360 controller? 

Better say only nintendo controller adequate for fighting genre. (N64 is for 3 handed aliens and wiimote and whatever wiiU's controller's name is are not quite the best)

sales2099 said:
If you are competitive at Smash Brothers, the Gamecube controller is second to none.

Exactly... It's like the only way I can play Smash Bros.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash