By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

It's THE Smash Bros. controller, hell, they removed the "gamecube" to put a Smash Bros logo instead in the reveal, that's saying a lot.
And also it probably means GC virtual console incoming, which would be great too.

Around the Network

A HUGE majority of people have played both Melee and Brawl with the GC controller and it's the most preferred way to play too. I'm so glad they announced the adapter, now I don't have to buy four Pro controllers and just use the four GC controllers I already have.

Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:
Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Bro, if you've played Smash Brothers enough, you wouldn't have made this thread.

I played Brawl quite a bit, but I was never a competitive player or anything, I just played for fun. The Wiimote and classic controller suited me just fine. 

Then don't judge the people that used the GC controller. 

Who exactly am I judging?

OP:I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Maybe not directly, but you surely implied it. 

No I didn't. I'm judging anybody. 

Edit: Moderated for quote trees - Starcraft

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Because it's the most comfortable, competitive controller one can use for Super Smash.

Also, it saves me $200+ in buying 4 WiiU Pro controllers for the game, so I'm thrilled at the least for that aspect.

Meh... I'll using the Pro controller anyways.

Around the Network

1. It is comfortable and all buttons are very easy to reach quickly.

2. In tournaments there can be hundreds of entrants. All available controllers up to this point were connected wirelessly one way or another which means that something new had to be invented to prevent interferences. This hub was the answer, and making it support Gamecube controllers is the only way that makes sense since people who show up at tournaments (a.k.a. the target audience) tends to prefer Gamecube controllers.

you can press a and y buttons at same time easily.

Now if we can get rid of the gamepad :3c

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Like many have already stated, it's very comfortable and the button layout couldn't be better for Smash Bros.

This is terrific news. I can't wait to bust out my Wavebird and my GC controllers (with cord extensions) this winter.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

1. It is comfortable and all buttons are very easy to reach quickly.

2. In tournaments there can be hundreds of entrants. All available controllers up to this point were connected wirelessly one way or another which means that something new had to be invented to prevent interferences. This hub was the answer, and making it support Gamecube controllers is the only way that makes sense since people who show up at tournaments (a.k.a. the target audience) tends to prefer Gamecube controllers.

Exactly, i think some dont realize yet that Super Smash Bros is one of the top competitive games in the world. I mean the fans by themselves without support show it (that determination). This is a very smart move, Nintendo doing good things, lets hope for more!