By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

chriscox1121 said:
If you were apart of the smash scene then you would get it, but I understand why those who don't play or only play casually have a hard time understanding because its just a controller but it's like a fight stick for pro street fighter players, except there is only one kind

This guy gets it

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

It's just a controller, the reason why it's trending is due to them being rather loud compared to other fanbases. They are just afraid of moving on to something else. It was better than the N64 controller, but the Wii Remote + Nunchuck worked well for me in Brawl, and I like the Pro Controller so far and will probably like using it for Smash. If they give it some time, they'll switch over to newer control schemes, but I guess change is scary sometimes. Next thing you know, people will demand some sort of Gamecube controller adapter for the 3DS version! O_o

Arkaign said:

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better. 

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to. 

Pretty much this. I played somewhat competitively (not anymore, got bored of Brawl a few years ago), and I still don't like the Gamecube controller.

Arkaign said:

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/NostalgiaGoggles%281%29.jpg

:D

You may or may not have failed posting that. 

I am pumped because backwards compatibility and GC Virtual Console seem more likely now.

tbone51 said:
Arkaign said:

The GC controller is insanely overrated. The D-pad is made for people with pencils for thumbs, the overall feel is cheap.

It's pure nostalgia. It was a real improvement over the N64 controller in a lot of ways, but still an awkward piece of work. The Wii Pro gamepad is far far FAR FAR FAR better.

Basically anyone who grew up with (insert controller here) as the controller they used most during their formative gaming years will say "Oh, it's the best!", when in fact it was just something they got used to.

Better controllers objectively than GC :

NES, SNES, TG16, Hori Commander Series, Wii/WiiU Classic/Pro Pads, Xbox OG 'S', Xbox 360, DS2, DS3, DS4, XBO, etc.

EDIT : Forgot the DreamCast pad, which craps all over the GC controller as well. Silly me. Sega pads were usually awful, but the DC one was outstanding.

Not even close, i grew up with SNES and N64 yet N64 had the worse controller, yet GCN controller is the best hands down

Hahah if you have elf hands. The thing is terrible. I actually skipped GC for the most part until I got an adapter to use a controller that didn't suck. I hated the N64 controller even more though. It's objectively bad as well, placements are bizarre, actions are not smooth, the analog stick is not very accurate, it just feels cheaply made. The Hori Gamecube controller is infinitely better quality.

Around the Network

so because an old controller that i currently still use its nostalgia goggles? bit one minded

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Arkaign said:
tbone51 said:
Arkaign said:

Not even close, i grew up with SNES and N64 yet N64 had the worse controller, yet GCN controller is the best hands down

Hahah if you have elf hands. The thing is terrible. I actually skipped GC for the most part until I got an adapter to use a controller that didn't suck. I hated the N64 controller even more though. It's objectively bad as well, placements are bizarre, actions are not smooth, the analog stick is not very accurate, it just feels cheaply made. The Hori Gamecube controller is infinitely better quality.

Well to put a hole in your first post, GCN sold much less than everything else yet many have said (nintendo fans) GCN is the best :-/ Personally i like GCN followed by X360 controller. Both are incredible

Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Fusioncode said:

I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Bro, if you've played Smash Brothers enough, you wouldn't have made this thread.

I played Brawl quite a bit, but I was never a competitive player or anything, I just played for fun. The Wiimote and classic controller suited me just fine. 

Then don't judge the people that used the GC controller. 

Who exactly am I judging?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Because the GameCube controller is one of the best and design controller out there. How cool would it be if new Wii U titles utilize the GameCube Controller, I'll be on board for that. :)

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Fusioncode said:
Clyde32 said:
Fusioncode said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Fusioncode said:

Bro, if you've played Smash Brothers enough, you wouldn't have made this thread.

I played Brawl quite a bit, but I was never a competitive player or anything, I just played for fun. The Wiimote and classic controller suited me just fine. 

Then don't judge the people that used the GC controller. 

Who exactly am I judging?

OP:I mean jeez, it's hottest trending topic on twitter and on the front page of reddit. New game announcements don't even get this much attention. Am I missing something here? It's just a controller. 

Maybe not directly, but you surely implied it. 

Edit: Moderated for quote trees - Starcraft