By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is using a Gamecube controller on Smash such a big deal?

kupomogli said:

I've never played a Smash Bros without a Gamecube controller, because I'd rather not use the Wiimote when I've played it on the Wii, but I don't think there'd be any issue using the Wii or Wii U Pro Controller over the N64 controller as long as it works.

If the Pro Controller works, there's nothing that the Gamecube controller can do that the Pro Controller can't. One reason why some people make the comment that it's the best Smash controller and reading through two pages I haven't seen one person mention it, the C stick. Yes, you can do smash attacks with up, left, down, and right plus attack, but the C stick is more efficient, as not only will you never fail to do your smash attack, you'll be able to do the smash attacks quicker, even if slightly. As long as one of the Pro Controllers allow the right analog to replace the C stick, then there's really no need for the GC controller.

I always call people sheep a lot, but it's opinion I have that most people just follow the popular opinion and I think most people who say the GC controller is required to play SSB are just sheep following the popular opinion.

The c-stick can make smash attacks safer, yes, but its main use is for aerials since you are able to move one direction in the air with the control stick while using the c-stick to attack in another direction. Though up-air and down-air are particularly aided since it's a lot easier to avoid jumping and fast-falling accidentally.

The big analogue triggers also play a big part since you are able to accurately choose between a hard and a light shield. Both of which have their uses in different situations.

And of course there is the fact that all buttons and sticks are very close to each other which allows for fast button and stick input combinations with little effort. It is true that the Wii U Pro controller is not far behind in this regard, but that little extra is required if you aim for first place.

Around the Network

i guess people stilled played with it on Wii and will want to continue to use it going forward

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Mr Khan said:
Honestly i never understood it either. I switched over to the wiimote n nunchuk just fine for Brawl, and i'll switchover to the gamepad just fine here too.

you just need to get used to the new controller (in this case Wiiu Gamepad), be competitive  has notihgn to do with the  input method, your skills are the way you are or not competitive.

34 years playing games.

padib said:
KylieDog said:
It's a crutch for SSB players as lets you do things other controllers don't.

Why is it a crutch? Was the series meant to be played with controllers that let you do less?

I'm also wondering what the pro controller is lacking that the cube controller offers.

Well, analog triggers, for one.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

padib said:
Cheebee said:

Well, analog triggers, for one.

ZL and ZR are not analog? I didn't know that.

Sadly yeah, it what make the Wii U controller (both gamepad and pro controller) feel like a cheap toy then an actual controller.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

Because playing Smash Bros with other controllers just doesn't feel that right! GAMECUBE CONTROLLER 4 LYFE!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---