By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an "Old School Rare" game even sell these days?

well if the games are identical in gameplay like old ones then I say NO. but if like most developers they evolve and make better games then YES

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

A Hat in Time is essentially a 90s Rare game made now. See how it does.

Well, it's not that those kind of games don't sell anymore, look at Donkey Kong for Wii which is the second best selling DK game according to our database, but how and to who are you selling the game.

And clearly, that audience is (mostly) not the one that buys an XboxOne.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Augen said:
A Hat in Time is essentially a 90s Rare game made now. See how it does.

Game had to rely on a kickstarter to get funded. Sorry if you already knew this. :)

Of course it would sell but not like they use to.

Around the Network

Probably not. Platformers outside of a blue and red Italian plumber don't really pull out great numbers.

Now a modern FPS title by old Rare. Maybe.

No, they'd sell under a million.

But they could be made profitably for sure. A small team of skilled and enthusiastic people could make a lot of money with that style of game.

I'm not sure, to be honest. Outside of Nintendo, the 3D platformer has more or less faded into obscurity, but if marketed correctly maybe one could make a decent splash.

There seems to be a lot of grassroots support for A Hat in Time, which is a good sign. And it was only eight years ago that Daxter broke 4 million in sales.

Now in Rare's case, the problem isn't only with the audience, or lack thereof. It's with the developer, which hasn't proven it can produce a great 3D platformer, and the publisher, which hasn't proven it even wants such a game. Would I love a new Banjo or Conker game? Yes. But I don't trust Rare to make one and I don't expect Microsoft to commission one.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

JEMC said:
Well, it's not that those kind of games don't sell anymore, look at Donkey Kong for Wii which is the second best selling DK game according to our database, but how and to who are you selling the game.

And clearly, that audience is (mostly) not the one that buys an XboxOne.

Looking at sales, that audience isn't the audience that buys a Wii U, either (sadly)!  Even my little girl that loved all things Wii a few years ago only wants to play more mature games.  It tears my heart out. :(

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm not sure, to be honest. Outside of Nintendo, the 3D platformer has more or less faded into obscurity, but if marketed correctly maybe one could make a decent splash.

There seems to be a lot of grassroots support for A Hat in Time, which is a good sign. And it was only eight years ago that Daxter broke 4 million in sales.

Now in Rare's case, the problem isn't only with the audience, or lack thereof. It's with the developer, which hasn't proven it can produce a great 3D platformer, and the publisher, which hasn't proven it even wants such a game. Would I love a new Banjo or Conker game? Yes. But I don't trust Rare to make one and I don't expect Microsoft to commission one.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

A new Conker game that has intelligent writing and pushes the borders of what can be done in a video game AND possibly parodies the industry?  I'd cream in my pants.  Just a pipe dream, though.  I don't think they'd be able to pull it off, either.