By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an "Old School Rare" game even sell these days?

In Rare's heyday, games like Banjo and Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Conker (which actually didn't sell well), Conker, Earthworm Jim, etc. were big business.  People were more open to playing as a giant hedghog, a caveman with a huge head, a worm in a cyber suit, or a giant monkey.  These days?  I just don't see it.  The only games people seem to be excited about have you playing as a bald headed white guy with a flawless body or a girl with perfect tits.  Do people even want to play as somthing that isn't a gun toting human in this era of reality graphics?

Discuss.

Around the Network

A worm in a cybersuit will always be appealing to me. Though technically, Earthworm Jim still mostly fits that stereotypical mold if you think about it. He's bald, has a perfect body (for a worm), and totes guns.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

This is probably true.

Then again my main love of Rare comes from Goldeneye, Perfect Dark & Blast Corps... the former two fit into the realm of graphical realism and the latter is so unusual it doesn't matter when it came out it wouldn't sell well.

Nah. I don't see classical Jump 'n' Run games sell anymore. (aside from a few big names of course) These days it's very hard to establish a new J 'n' R franchise.

I like to put it this way: FPS to this generation is what Jump 'n' Run used to be to the last.

Also, the ship for FPS has sailed a long time ago with Activision, EA and Bungie leading the way now. I don't know if Rare could've become a big name there, if they hung on to the Goldeneye formula for example.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

They belong to an era that has already passed - I can't imagine any game like that making a profit today.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

I have fond memories of old school Rare games and I keep hoping for a return to form but....I think that no matter how good their games may be (even with them only being Rare in name only, these days--the members have been long gone) they're destined for failure.

Oh how I would love to see another earthworm jim. Granny chair!!

radishhead said:
They belong to an era that has already passed - I can't imagine any game like that making a profit today.

For Justice, if such a game is done, you shall buy enough copies so that it makes profit.

Would be hard sell. 

Wright said:
radishhead said:

For Justice, if such a game is done, you shall buy enough copies so that it makes profit.

If it's for Justice, then I would certainly do it!

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~