By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an "Old School Rare" game even sell these days?

I think a good Rare game could put up similar numbers to their old games. Only DKC and GoldenEye are in the top 100 best selling games.

(66) 9.30 Donkey Kong Country
(75) 8.09 GoldenEye 007
5.27 Donkey Kong 64
5.15 Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
3.65 Banjo-Kazooie
3.51 Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble!
3.20 Killer Instinct
2.52 Perfect Dark
1.49 Banjo-Tooie
0.77 Conker's Bad Fur Day

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
green_sky said:

Would be hard sell. 

Maybe, but the pic doesnt do a good job of explaining since adults make up more of the console market, not kids.

Lewis are you forgetting farmville/harmheroessaga? cute still sells

@ 60 bucks it won't be a +10 million seller but i would do well

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The more compelling question might be why kids like getting pwnd in CoD more than being an Italian plumber or a kid in a green suit saving the princess, saving the world...

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

It would if done right. A new Blast Corps in HD would be SWEET, as would a sequel to other franchises like Jet Force Gemini and a true Banjo Kazooie sequel.

And Earthworm Jim is not Rare, that was Shiny and was actually published by SEGA originally.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I don't think the games would sell because the Rare brand name just doesn't have that selling power any longer. They haven't created anything really good in a long time and people seem not to care about them. If they did have a fanbase, then they'd sell regardless of quality though. I mean Lightning Returns still sold a million copies so far despite the hate Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 received.

NightDragon83 said:
It would if done right. A new Blast Corps in HD would be SWEET, as would a sequel to other franchises like Jet Force Gemini and a true Banjo Kazooie sequel.

And Earthworm Jim is not Rare, that was Shiny and was actually published by SEGA originally.

Oh, I knew EWJ wasn't Rare.  Was just illustrating the point that back when, we used to love playing as anything.  Acrobatic bats, cybernetic earthworms, oppossums in jet packs, bobcats in T-Shirts--it was a different time (also why I mentioned Bonk from Bonk's Adventure, Sonic, etc.).  Now, it would likely have to be some rugged guy with a sharp wit for the game to succeed.  No wild pinata animals or anything of that nature.  Jet Force Gemini or Perfect Dark, maybe?

fleischr said:
The more compelling question might be why kids like getting pwnd in CoD more than being an Italian plumber or a kid in a green suit saving the princess, saving the world...

Because they think that playing CoD is "cool" and playing Mario is for little kids, and they don't want to be seen as kids.

Worse for them, they don't know what they are missing.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

fleischr said:

A lot of kids that I know of enjoy playing with army toys. COD practically offers them that experience (minus the creativity and imagination).

OT: I think something Old Rare platforms mixed with creative open world elements would work well. That's why games like Scribblenauts, Little Big Planet, Terraria and Minecraft have done well. Project Spark definitely looks like something Rare could pull off.

I think a proper Banjo Kazooie game could probably shift 3 or 4 Million units in the long run, if done right.

People still like platformers, the problem is that outside of Nintendo we get so few actual quality efforts. Look at what Sony achieved with LittleBigPlanet and what the LEGO games manage to push. There is a market for the action platformer.