By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an "Old School Rare" game even sell these days?

Platform games sell sell big numbers on Nintendo consoles. The wii u is obviously not doing well, but release a decent banjo and kazooie game on the 3ds (or on the wii a few years back) and it would have sold many millions and been a huge success. It would probably sell a few million on the wii u. Xbox gamers just aren't the right audience. 

Donkey Kong country returns (Which to my mind surpasses the orignals) sold millions on both the wii and 3ds.
Tropical freeze is doing less well which is a shame beause it's brilliant.

Around the Network

On an Xbox? Definitely not.

the2real4mafol said:
I think Rare would do better had they stayed on Nintendo rather than went to Xbox

But doesn't Nintendo have too many platformers especially on the Wii U?  

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

PigPen said:
Yes, most definitely. Imagine Banjo and Kazooie with the hardware we have today, sweet!

Imagine this game with today's hardware! It would kick so much ass!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

If they release as an Arcade game... let's say put something between 100-500k to break even (price and budget used) to regain market awareness, maybe in the third interaction they could have a good million seller prepared.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Between the huge numbers of impressionable kids who would enjoy just about any positive new experience & the nostalgic adults that remember these games fondly (many of whom have/will soon have children of their own), there's a massive potential market for games that fit the mold of the classics mentioned in this thread. I don't think their success would come down to whether "Xbox gamers" are inherently interested in them or not, or whether gamers in general have lost their capacity to appreciate whimsical characters/scenarios over deadly serious ones. The main factor would be (as always) whether there was a decent advertising push behind them.

There are plenty of quality indie/small development team-created platformers on non-Nintendo consoles that do about as well as can be expected given the general public's limited awareness of them, but in the AAA market only games with large opportunities for low-cost revenue generation after the initial sale will be favored by publishers. It's no accident that most top-selling titles (again, other than on Nintendo systems) these days are the ones with the most aggressive DLC strategy.

A standalone, story-based platformer simply won't normally lend itself to a high take rate for additional content. Sure, you can create new levels/characters or whatever; but they tend to either be limited to some sort of challenge mode, or basically a re-skinned/shorter version of the original game. Anything on the level of adding new mechanics that could break the existing framework and you may as well just fill out the length a bit & sell it as a full-priced sequel instead. Compare that to primarily multiplayer-oriented games which offer a high degree of motivation to keep up with the competition and the path to maximizing profit looks to lead in the opposite direction from an "Old School" game.

New technology needs more expensive games to showcase it - unfortunately consumer demand for the next big thing has the potential to drive out entire genres that don't promote new tech as effectively. Just like in the movie industry, income from blockbusters may help artistic passion projects reach a wider audience in a roundabout way, but studios know where their bread is buttered. They need spectacle to draw attention. On the other hand, I think that fans of platformers have a particularly keen understanding of the devil being in the details - while graphics & story certainly matter, it's the responsiveness and feel of the running & jumping that make a game worth playing. I mean, a tale as simple as "Our princess is in another castle," moved over 40 million units! When I think of these games, I don't recall caring about the motivation for my actions (even the 7-year-old me thought the plot of SMB was absurd);  I recall instead how each physical interaction felt, how each new level/enemy/environment changed the rules ever so slightly and taught me new skills/tactics in a way that felt natural, progressive and most importantly, fun. I'm pretty sure that's something every gamer can relate to in some way.

MoHasanie said:
the2real4mafol said:
I think Rare would do better had they stayed on Nintendo rather than went to Xbox

But doesn't Nintendo have too many platformers especially on the Wii U?  

Yeah they do but platformers seem more at home on Nintendo platformers and rare didn't just do platformers you know. Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Killer Instinct weren't platformers. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

baloofarsan said:

COD: Ghosts appeal to 10% of PS360 audience. GTA V to about 20%. Still everyone wants to do FPS for those systems.

Open world games are more expensive to develop.

Old School Rare games were typically cutting edge at the time of their release. More so than the top games of today.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well Viva Pinta was fairly sucessfull wasn't it?