By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would an "Old School Rare" game even sell these days?

I want to know how much KI sold. And if all the ppl that complained about Rare game bought in. Assuming you like fighting games and have an Xbox. They see the sales and are basing old revivals off that.
If it's a good game IMO we need to help the developers out. Not just buy COD Halo Uncharted all the time. I'm talking about any system. Quantum Break looks ambitious. I believe gamers should get behind games like this.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
d21lewis said:
JEMC said:
Well, it's not that those kind of games don't sell anymore, look at Donkey Kong for Wii which is the second best selling DK game according to our database, but how and to who are you selling the game.

And clearly, that audience is (mostly) not the one that buys an XboxOne.

Looking at sales, that audience isn't the audience that buys a Wii U, either (sadly)!  Even my little girl that loved all things Wii a few years ago only wants to play more mature games.  It tears my heart out. :(

Nintendo problem right now is that they have made a console for kids (even they said so and pointed their lack of appeal to the younger audience as one of the causes for their bad results with WiiU) but priced it as a console for adults.

Even Donkey on WiiU, with its 0.54 mill + digital, appeals to somewhat of a 10% of its audience. Look how many people bought Viva Piñata or Banjo-Kazooie for the 360.

COD: Ghosts appeal to 10% of PS360 audience. GTA V to about 20%. Still everyone wants to do FPS for those systems.

Perfect Dark could.

The "old-school" Rare had the ability to innovate. If they could make a fun, innovative game, then yes, it would sell as well.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

It'd depend on where it's released really, but chances are it'd be a fairly niche title, it certainly wouldn't be profitable if it has the insane production values a lot of games have nowadays. I do think it could reach sales between 400k-800 if it gets good reception, especially after it gets a price cut to 40 bucks or less

Around the Network

Yes, most definitely. Imagine Banjo and Kazooie with the hardware we have today, sweet!

Possibly if they made one that was extremely critically acclaimed or worked with Nintendo again.

I'd love another Atic Atac! The 360 Jet Pac remake was fantastic. I'm amazed MS haven't had them redoing their 8 bit stuff from before Nintendo bought them out for iOS/Android and XBLA.

As for their N64 output. I don't think there is really the market there at the moment on Microsoft's formats for most of their better known stuff as the demographic is generally wrong. However, they showed they were more than capable of putting out some decent more mature content on the N64. A new Jet Force Gemini etc would go down pretty well these days. As would a new Perfect Dark with decent level design.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I think Rare would do better had they stayed on Nintendo rather than went to Xbox

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

baloofarsan said:
JEMC said:
d21lewis said:
JEMC said:
Well, it's not that those kind of games don't sell anymore, look at Donkey Kong for Wii which is the second best selling DK game according to our database, but how and to who are you selling the game.

And clearly, that audience is (mostly) not the one that buys an XboxOne.

Looking at sales, that audience isn't the audience that buys a Wii U, either (sadly)!  Even my little girl that loved all things Wii a few years ago only wants to play more mature games.  It tears my heart out. :(

Nintendo problem right now is that they have made a console for kids (even they said so and pointed their lack of appeal to the younger audience as one of the causes for their bad results with WiiU) but priced it as a console for adults.

Even Donkey on WiiU, with its 0.54 mill + digital, appeals to somewhat of a 10% of its audience. Look how many people bought Viva Piñata or Banjo-Kazooie for the 360.

COD: Ghosts appeal to 10% of PS360 audience. GTA V to about 20%. Still everyone wants to do FPS for those systems.

It's a lot easier to make an FPS game than an open world sandbox game, tho.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.