By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted's budget was...

HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
PooperScooper said:
Kasz216 said:
PooperScooper said:
Profit = revenue - cost. 75mil = revenue. You think there was more than 55mil in costs more than development????

Except development budjet=/= cost.

Development budget equals how much it cost to create the game as software.

It doesn't cost how much it cost to make copies of the game nor does it cost advertising, nor does it cost distribution or what you have to pay the stores or what you have to pay sony.

I'm not sure where you got 75 million in revenue for it.

1.25(sold) x 60(price) = 75mil(revenue) - costs = profit.

75mil - 20mil(budget) = 55mil.

55mil - advertising = 45mil (that 10 million is generious and i doubt they spent that much)

really you think there is more than 45mil in expenses(distribution/manufacturing)? along with HS and R&C. the point of this posy was beacuse people were saying those three games havent made profit yet.

I'd say 10 million is way undercutting advertising cost. Once again unless sony picked it up. I mean you live in the US how many uncharted commercials did you see the month it came out? I saw about 6-7 a day.

In general I think people underestimate marketing costs ...

A single slot on a national network durring primetime can cost between $250,000 and $1,000,000 (maybe more, last time I checked was a couple years ago when American Idol and Survivor were getting $1,000,000 per 30 second slot); a more inexpensive slot on a lesser national network at an awful time (3:00 am for example) can be as little as $10,000 (maybe more, last time I checked was years ago when I was working for a start-up company who was looking into national advertizements).

A company can litterally go through $100,000,000 in an amazingly short period of time if they're not careful ...

That's what i'm saying. I've had to do the same thing for some clients i had back when I was in college. They thought they had enough money for anything even TV adds...

They were quite quite wrong.

There is a reason most videogames don't get commerials and it's not "Damn lazy bastards don't want to advertise a good game!" 

Around the Network

Where are you guys getting your figures from? Please tell me. I worked for a company who refused to do movie commercials because each ad would have cost them 2,000 dollars..... In Detroit area.... it was a huge arguement which way of advertising saved them the most money and brought in the most money.

This is the cost for development.

That is absolutely huge.

Then there is advertising dollars, production of the 1.2 million discs cases manuals and sleeves, shipping to each region etc.

They probably made a profit but it's still highly expensive for just the 'development' costs. Wasn't Gears of War 15m including marketing?

I highly doubt that Uncharted has made profit, especially if you count advertising costs.

Besides, if Uncharted made profit with million sold copies, and that's an argument that making games for PS3 are profitable, what should Wii game makers be saying - "we're swimming in a sea of cash"?

PooperScooper said:
Where are you guys getting your figures from? Please tell me. I worked for a company who refused to do movie commercials because each ad would have cost them 2,000 dollars..... In Detroit area.... it was a huge arguement which way of advertising saved them the most money and brought in the most money.

That's what is called a "Local add". There are 2 local adds for every 4 national adds on tvs. A local add is only going to reach the users of one broadcasting "station". It's not going to reach many people at all... and that's why big companys usually avoid them and only local companies use local adds. (Unless they've payed a lot of money for a consumer psychology study to see where they should advertise.)

We're talking national adds here that the big companies use to reach people.  That's what big companies like Sony use.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:

Every once in a while there will be a new story on the internet as a show starts asking for a new record in terms of per-spot price; the price is determined by how high demand the time slots are, which is heavily dependant on how large the viewership is.

Years ago Friends made news because every one of the 6 main characters where going to make $1 Million per episode; they were able to negotiate this because all 6 actors were working together and how high the shows revenues were. If you assume an average of 24 commercials per 30 Minute episode each commercial would have to cost at least $250,000 to cover the cost of the actors; obviously there were other costs associated with the show, and the network was making a healthy profit so I wouldn't be surprised if they were charging $500,000 to $750,000 per slot (and this was close to a decade ago).

They have teh engine for future releases so they can leverage that inversion .

1st off ads run on spike g4tv espn and other channels were guys age 16-25 will be Iam 44 and and watch all those channels sony adverised the game a lot in its own add which is shared cost software sells hardware!

Its funny in business profit is everything and 10% ad cost would be considered high!

the print ads would probably cost the most! one thing devs have been saying most nex gen games need 1/2 million in sale before they break even!

but that also depends on development cost too.

Gears cost around 10 million to make so epic is making tons of cash

at 20 million they will eventually make thier money on uncharted because it will continue to sell even at $ 30.00 value bend in the future.

Still its was a great game for the PS3 a must! good story and gameplay!

Also $10 for the retailers on a the game ! thats why when a retailer like frys has a $60.00 game for $50.00 they call it a lost leader! to get shoppers in the store!
BB does this with the latest dvd release's every week they dont make money at $15.00 a movie its the other stuff you buy! and after the 1st week the movie goes back up to $20.00 usually!

Sony's cut for licensing $8.00 I think MS is $10.00 and nintendo is $12-15

plus with the 360 proprietary licensing for ATI is almost $10.00 a game that may be the licensing fee though Iam not sure! I dont know if nvidia has the same deal or not!
So the game was $10 retailer, licensing $8.00 sony and $ 10.00 to nvidia 10% ad cost $10.00 per game that would be around $38.00 leaving around $22.00 per game for the developer not counting money sony may have put in to it! oyu could say possibly $32.00 per gameif nvidia isnt there also Bluray is more expensive to produce then dvd! so developing cost could be $ 5.00 per game! dvd box and shipping ect ect.

ya they need to sell alot more games to make money!

Does anybody think thats why a lot of developers are waiting for more of an install base before releasing thier game????? on PS3 or even going multiplatform to recoup costs!

Daddo Splat said:
Also $10 for the retailers on a the game ! thats why when a retailer like frys has a $60.00 game for $50.00 they call it a lost leader! to get shoppers in the store!
BB does this with the latest dvd release's every week they dont make money at $15.00 a movie its the other stuff you buy! and after the 1st week the movie goes back up to $20.00 usually!

Sony's cut for licensing $8.00 I think MS is $10.00 and nintendo is $12-15

plus with the 360 proprietary licensing for ATI is almost $10.00 a game that may be the licensing fee though Iam not sure! I dont know if nvidia has the same deal or not!
So the game was $10 retailer, licensing $8.00 sony and $ 10.00 to nvidia 10% ad cost $10.00 per game that would be around $38.00 leaving around $22.00 per game for the developer not counting money sony may have put in to it! oyu could say possibly $32.00 per gameif nvidia isnt there also Bluray is more expensive to produce then dvd! so developing cost could be $ 5.00 per game! dvd box and shipping ect ect.

ya they need to sell alot more games to make money!

Does anybody think thats why a lot of developers are waiting for more of an install base before releasing thier game????? on PS3 or even going multiplatform to recoup costs!

That's weird. Considering every source other then you says that Sony has the highest liscensing cost... by quite a bit.

So... you are just making a lot of stuff up.