By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted's budget was...

Advertising and marketing budgets are high but nowhere as high as people make them look like in this thread.

One example : Lord of the rings: return of the kings.
94 millions production budget, 75 million advertising/print budget.

That movie had adds everywhere on the big network and on prints...

A typical game barely have 1/10th of the adds this movie had ( and price of an add during CSI on CBS isn't the same as price of add on Spike or SciFi which is where games are advertising..)...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Ail said:

shio said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

There's no way Uncharted made profit, even if it reached 2 million. You don't even know how much distribution, retailers, etc.. take away from the game's profits.

Usually a developer makes only $10 from each copy, and if you add more $10 from game's royalties to Sony, they only make that much, $20 per copy. And adding whatever additional costs they had such as advertisement, makes it either no profit or almost no profit. Either way, it counts as a failure.

Your maths are wrong.

Game sells for 60$, retailer keeps at most 25$ out of that( I have seen Best Buy drop the price of a game by 20$ for a week so they make at least that much per game).

Sony gets 10$.

Packaging/game manual probably like 2$.

23$ left for naughty Dog and their distributor ( the fact it's sony is separate from the Sony 10$ which is standard cut for Sony on any PS3 game).

My guess is naughty dog gets 18$ and the distributor 5$ at most.( the distributor doesn't take that many risks imo).

1.25 Million copies at 18$ they made a small profit.

In that case the distributor probably didn't make any profit and spent all their cash on advertising but it's sony so they get their 10$ too and it's their interest to have more ps3 games out..

Just a quick thought here, lets say you are right and the retailer gets $25 per game (at $60 cost to the customer) that leaves $35 to be split between Sony (game is on their system), Sony (they published it), and ND (who made it and is owned by Sony).  So since everything was done by Sony, they are able to make a game that costs more to make, costs more to advertise (more comercials) and yet are still able to make a profit off of it.  $35 per copy * 1.25 million copies = $43.75 million going to Sony because of the game, and counting.  It will get a bump in sales when Sony finally starts putting out a line of Greatest Hits, though not as much money per game sold they will sell more copies and ND is able to build off of Uncharted 1 for Uncharted 2 so cheaper development costs and bigger install base to buy the new game.

I find it funny that Uncharted was made on $20 million, while Halo 3 spent $10 million on its advertising campaign alone.

Username2324 said:
I find it funny that Uncharted was made on $20 million, while Halo 3 spent $10 million on its advertising campaign alone.

Halo 3 spent significantly more than $10M on advertising...

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)