By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs more western studios and more original western IPs to appeal to the west.

Why do you think they only have retro studios here on the west?

Camelot is a western studio
NST is a western studio
Monster games is a western studio

They have a good chunck of studios around here, but they only make spin off of mario, problably because is sell better.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network

Forgot Eastern Europe, and it would be an excellent place to invest.

But I did say potentially :p

TheLastStarFighter said:
Of course they do. They should have 2+ more studios in the US or Canada and 2+ more in Europe. They need games in the cinematic adventure, shooter, realistic racer and other genres. It would really compliment the Mario, Zelda, Monolith, etc teams they have right now. If you were to add an exclusive contract with Mistwalker, they would essentially not need 3rd party support to have a truly thriving system.

The Big Red Button suggestion is great. If I ran Nintendo, I would also pursue partial ownership or partnerships with Edge of Reality (former Turok designers, good at shooters), Turtle Rock Studios, Slightly Mad Studios and possibly try to purchase Crytek UK from Crytek (former Rare devs). I would give them all freedom to create new IPs, preferably to western tastes with strong graphics and online. The whole acquisition could potentially be done for about 500 million and would make Nintendo by far the largest and most versatile publisher in the world. If Mistwalker and Platinum games were contracted exclusively to make action titles and rpgs, respectively, the software flow would be incredible.

Those are all fantastic suggestions, especially Crytek UK. The fact is, I don't particularly care for those kind of games, which is why I don't have the erge to by a PS4/XBO, but there's a huge audience that does, and they aren't being catered to on a Nintendo. There's definitely a design phylisophy that should remain but like I always say, Sunset Overdrive is such a Nintendo feeling game. If each of those studios made one game with that Nintendo touch, they'd actually stand a chance on the playing field with PS4 and XBO.

Another user made a fantastic point about potencial markets in latin and south america, china, and india. I completely agree. China in particular is huge into MOBA's, MMO's, and open world games. If Nintendo could make games in these territories that cater to their respective audiences, they could have something big.

I think anyone would agree with you so long as they realize that it wouldn't stop/hurt the regular IPs from appearing as well. You're clearly focused on expansion and increased content. Not replacing content.

That's actually what I hope STEAM is. A more western focused game. I'll buy Nintendo either way, but expanding their genre output is not a bad thing.

superchunk said:
I think anyone would agree with you so long as they realize that it wouldn't stop/hurt the regular IPs from appearing as well. You're clearly focused on expansion and increased content. Not replacing content.

That's actually what I hope STEAM is. A more western focused game. I'll buy Nintendo either way, but expanding their genre output is not a bad thing.

I think that's what people aren't understanding. It's all additive, not subtractive. I think Nintendo can work as a self sustained ecosystem, but they need IP's that appeal to everyone. Right now, they just have IPs that appeal to me.

Around the Network
Boberkun said:
They don't have any western IPs 

Thank God for that. No one game in your "Sony list" is interest me.

Oh but they interest millions of others though lol

spemanig said:

Santa Monica-  PS All-Stars

Really?

@OP

But you are right about the rest, it would be a good move.

ToxicJosh said:
Forgot Eastern Europe, and it would be an excellent place to invest.

But I did say potentially :p

It would be pretty fucking nice if Nintendo would actually give my country some love! >:(

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I'd prefer more western management rather than western devs. I love Nintendo's development skills, but not their decisions regarding what games should be made and how.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Screw western IPs. Call of Duty 19 1/2 Punk Turd Edition isnt going to "save Wii U". What's wrong with a niche console? That's all NES and SNES ever were.