By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs more western studios and more original western IPs to appeal to the west.

yep they need to do everything sony is doing... yep!

Around the Network
justiceiro said:
Why do you think they only have retro studios here on the west?

Camelot is a western studio
NST is a western studio
Monster games is a western studio

They have a good chunck of studios around here, but they only make spin off of mario, problably because is sell better.

Camelot is Japanese.

That said, Next-Level Games is basically a Nintendo studio at this point (they've made one non-Nintendo game in the past six years), and the same goes for Shin'en. Shin'en's a tiny studio though.

NiKKoM said:
Meh.. they have games that appeal worldwide.. don't take that away from them.. they shouldn't be molded into an average joe publisher like the others..

That's exactly the point. They may have potential global appeal, but if that was enough, the Wii U wouldn't have struggled the way it has. It's done awfully since it launched, so *clearly* their current games and approach aren't enough. 

And the OP isn't suggesting that they "take away" Mario, Zelda, etc, he/she specifically said that they should add Weyerhaeuser studios IN ADDITION to their existing studios and franchises. It definitely is a good idea, and Nintendo really need to do it. 

It would never work with the visionless Iwata at the helm.

They just need new IPs period.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Its possible, but first NoA and NoE need more decision making power for something like that to happen.

Nintendo needs third party, their first party games are plenty strong enough.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

im not so sure of all of that.. i dont think nintendo needs anything at all like sony has got. i think nintendo should consider two obvious things. 1) FUCKING BUY MEGAMAN FROM CAPCOM. seriously. 2) not that they have this opportunity anymore, but why didnt they buy atlus? that would have been perfect.

these are two acquisitions that could have beefed up their library considerably and made their console that much more appealing to different audiences. maybe they need western companies to make games like fzero and starfox, but i wouldnt say they need them to make mass effect or killzone type games.

The console market is virtually 95% the Western market now.

But if Nintendo wants to continue to just trying to appeal to that market with the same 5 Japanese franchises (Mario, MK, Smash, Zelda, Metroid) over and over again, they can keep trying and see where it gets them.

Your example of Sony was not a good one. Several of Nintendo's "Japanese" games have sold more than pretty much every single iteration you have listed. There seems to be a conundrum... for you.

Anyhow, I do agree that Nintendo needs to expand in general. They need to increase output of what they already have.