By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs more western studios and more original western IPs to appeal to the west.

That's one of Nintendo's biggest issues. They don't have any western IPs that appeal to the sort of person who will buy a PS4 or XBO aka westerners. Home consoles are now western consoles. The Japanese don't care about them anymore. I'm not saying Nintendo should slow down the Japanese games they're making, but they need to start appealing to audiences they don't have. Western audiences.

Nintendo has only two western dev studios. Both are american and only one is relevant. NST and Retro Studios. That's it. Not one european studio. That can't happen. Nintendo needs to realise that they can't thrive on their current IPs alone. They need to appeal to the west.

Just look at Sony:

Naughty Dog- Uncharted, Jak, Crash, TLOU
Santa Monica- God of War, PS All-Stars
Bend- Vita games
Sucker Punch- Infamous, Sly Cooper
Guerilla Games- Killzone
Media Molecule- LittleBigPlanet, Tear Away

Imagine if Nintendo had this many western first party studios working on this many western appealing games, all with the Nintendo flare many gamers love. Nintendo needs to capitalize on this market their missing. Just think about it:

Retro Studios - Raven Blade (Old abandoned GC WRPG)
Big Red Button - Some original action game because that's their specialty apparently
New Studio - New IP
New Studio - New IP

New Studio - New IP

New Studio - New IP

It would be just what they need on top of their current killer apps. They need games like God of War, Uncharted, and Infamous to appeal to the audience they lack. X, a JRPG, and Bayonetta, a niche japanese action game, aren't enough. They need games with wide appeal in the west.

------

Big Red Button
Edge of Reality
Turtle Rock Studios
Slightly Mad Studios
Crytek UK
Retro Studios

If Nintendo bought all these studios, for example, and had them each work freely on a completely new, western style game of their choice, that would give Nintendo plenty of games that catered to an audience that they severely need if they want to succeed anymore.

And that's not enough. They need to start way more Wonderful 101-like 2nd party collaborations, but with western studios to create new exclusive western Nintendo IPs on top of their own new western studio IPs and on top of their current onslaught of classic IPs. Nintendo needs to become truly self sustaining. They need to get to a point where they genuinely don't need 3rd parties anymore because they pump out so many games on a regular and consistent basis that cater to absolutely every type of gamer.

Around the Network

no shit.

They don't have any western IPs 

Thank God for that. No one game in your "Sony list" is interest me.

Boberkun said:

Do you have a Wii U?

spemanig said:
Boberkun said:

Do you have a Wii U?

Yes, I do.

Around the Network

I would like to see Nintendo create more IPs, and some more western flavored ones may help the situation in NA and EU, but I don't think it would be enough to turn the situation around and make Wii U a success. It would give them a decent platform to build on for the successor to Wii U though

while they are at it - more online focused would be swell.

Did you think of that yourself or did you need help?

Nintendo is pretty much the most Japanese company in the whole industry. According to analysts Nintendo not only needs more western developers but also more western management.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Boberkun said:
spemanig said:
Boberkun said:

Do you have a Wii U?

Yes, I do.

Good. You're not the audience.

Meh.. they have games that appeal worldwide.. don't take that away from them.. they shouldn't be molded into an average joe publisher like the others..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)