By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs more western studios and more original western IPs to appeal to the west.

DevilRising said:
spemanig said:
Kaizar said:
Bayonetta 2 will most likely go the way that Infamous Second Son did. Which is pretty good.

It's going to sell like W101, dude.

No, it's not. Because Bayonetta is already an established franchise, people know about it, people like it, and people want it. W101 is a great game, from what I played, but it was a total unknown, and got ZERO advertising or real promotion in NA or EU. Which is a damn shame. Nintendo has been outright stupid when it comes to it's handling of Wii U advertising. They're doing better with MK8, but they should be doing that with EVERY big, and even medium, release Wii U has. Having a "demo reel" commercial that shows off several games, including W101, would be a great idea. But they haven't fuckin' done it.

Having said that though, there is no chance in hell B2 sells on par or worse tha W101. It'll sell a few hundred thousand, easy, maybe even over half a million. Who knows? If Nintendo actually promotes it, and bothers having a commercial for it, like the original game had? It could do a million.

But beyond that, what is the point of saying Nintendo needs new IPs, but then acting like something that is already pre-established like B2 is going to flop? If the implication is that any new IPs from Nintendo, or new TO Nintendo, are going to flop.....and that these games that appeal to "western gamers", might well flop on Wii U....then what is the point of saying they need more of them? I'm just saying, that's a contradictory and non-constructive attitude to take.

Bayonetta is a niche franchise on an even more niche console, that's why it will sell like W101. If the first Beyonetta only managed a combined 2 million on an installed base that was a combined 140million, what makes you think it can sell anything to a completely different demographic who probably never played the first one and on a console that will probably never reach more than 15 million consoles sold world wide?

That's not me being non-constructive; it's me being realistic. Bayonetta has absolutely nothing going for it aside from it being an exclusive. It'll probably sell more than W101. I got carried away there. Still, half a million on a console like the Wii U with everything it has going against it? I doubt it. I'll get it, but my one purchase won't change anything.

The fact is, games like InFAmous have more selling power in the west. It's a GTA-like 3rd person shooter in a western setting, and western gamers are eating that shit up right now. Bayonetta doesn't have that same draw at all. It looks like a "weird japanese game" to a lot of western gamers, whether that's the case or not, even though it has that "looks like God of War" thing going for it. The Wii U doesn't need more games like Bayonetta or Wonderful 101. It needs more games like InFAmous and Destiny.

The fact that the Project STEAM IP was registered first in the west gives me hope that they're starting to get it, but that isn't remotely enough.

Around the Network

I think it is a fallacy to assume that Western gaming markets prefer games developed in western studios. Historically, every generation has seen most of the biggest selling games in western markets are from Japanese studios. Donkey Kong Country, GTA, Kinect Adventure, Just Dance, Halo, and Call of Duty are about the only exceptions. The vast majority of high selling games are from Japan.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ICStats said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Maybe, but Sony's greatest asset is Japan Studio, not a "Western" studio.

Say what?

Japan Studio has been the least important studio for years, but I'd like to know why you think they're the greatest asset?

Because that studio makes the best games.

Jumpin said:

I think it is a fallacy to assume that Western gaming markets prefer games developed in western studios. Historically, every generation has seen most of the biggest selling games in western markets are from Japanese studios. Donkey Kong Country, GTA, Kinect Adventure, Just Dance, Halo, and Call of Duty are about the only exceptions. The vast majority of high selling games are from Japan.

That's not even close to true anymore. Maybe like three generations ago, but definitely not now.