By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

padib said:
Or maybe... people would pay a reasonable fee for a subscription to an ad-free site.

You are the scumbag Pacht.

The internet wouldn't exist without ads?? TCP/IP exists since 1982. It's funny who is calling who an idiot...

I wouldn't. I find it incredibly unreasonable to have to pay for something that should be free. As far as Ads go I used to not mind them at all before the invention of malware and adware, now avoiding them is simply a matter of protecting your computer. I also highly respect patcher but I find it incredibly arrogant that he expects people to fund something that is nothing more than an overrated hobby. He should be thankful for the special treatment he gets from the industry and he should be thankful for what ad revenue he does generate. Instead of being pissed off at people that want to protect their computers from adware/malware or simple don't consider what he does good enough to pay for.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
JazzB1987 said:
think-man said:

Btw pachter is right.

How?  If they make ads that are in the background that are okay everyone would be fine with ads. But if you make ads that actually prevent one from doing what one wanted to do  then how are those ads good? They are an obstacle.

Also when its the 10th time that e.g a COD Video is preventing me from watching something Halo related  I will start to HATE COD for that stupid commercial.

If its a cool designed  static AD without sound and without flashing animation etc.  It would be completely cool.
  The web worked like that a long time ago  and one day people were like "hey site if you dont use our annoying ad we wont give you more money you will get the bare minimum" and some dumb sites said "okay lets do it" and it got worse and worse.

If everyone would have agreed to NOT have this shit then every site would get the same amount of money for static "cool" ads than they now get for annoying ones.

Also if ads would be "reasonable" then noone would need to use adblock and the ad-revenue would automatically increase.  Its the same as  annoying shitty  anti-pirate measurements  that result in MORE pirates.

Thank you. Ads should be inconspicuous, something that is passive in nature, that you just notice and are like "oh, that's kinda cool".

Ads that are straight up in your face, refusing to let you access a video or website until you click on them or let a timer run out are complete BS and far too prevalent, and make me hate the product more than make me interested.

Patcher comes down as a condenscending moron getting too worked up over crappy practices that shouldn't exist. 

I started using adblock a long time ago for my favorite news site. Ads were so massive, intrusive, and slow I could not even use the site anymore on my old computer. Even now on my modern laptop I can't have smooth scrolling on the site without adblocks. It even popups randomly so you click by inadvertance on ads you don't have interest on, you have to click somewhere to close it.

I think television and internet are quite different. First, on television, when you switch to an other channel you are not welcomed everytime by an ad. Can you imagine that ? Every channel you switch to immediately displaying an ad ? Because that's what happen a lot on the internet, every new site you open is punished by an ad. I think that's what make internet ads so horrible.

Secondly, ads on television, are passive and predictable, they come at a given interval for a limited period of time, you can chose to go to another channel with 1 button click. You can't switch so easily or predict anything on the internet. The popup can be there until you click something, or you have to wait some time, it's not long enough for you to to something else.

Last, I've known a internet with almost no ads. A few sites had just a tiny picture on top of the page, you could click on or not. Simple and efficient. I can't forget that ;)

Bonus: as someone said, you prevent lots of problems like malware from blocking ads. My parents computer was home for hundreds of viruses. I fixed it, switched them to firefox and adblocks and it really solved the problem.

i agree with him 100% and i admit im a scumbag bastard

It's tough not to respond like that when the interviewer is being as childish and antagonistic as that.

In regards to adBlock, I'll admit I use it, but I'm going trial-and-error to avoid malware and ads with noise/block the page. Passive ads I'm more than okay with. Ones that infect my computer are a no-no.

I hate AdBlock users, they're almost as bad as those who switch channel when there's a commercial break.

Around the Network

The commentator was a total dick and deserves to be called out. Honestly, I don't see how that's going berserk. He was incredibly calm about it.

I don't see how anyone can attack Patcher over that video.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

His predictions might be shit but he sounds like a cool guy. lol

Oddly I actually like the guy more after that, fully agree on his response. Ads are only a minor inconvenience, but they affect product sales which in turn affect people getting jobs and making things you might like.

User reviews though are often really good info, simply because they point out the biggest flaws in a game honestly, often though going to extremes.

MoHasanie said:
Wow, he completely over reacted but he is right. And besides, adblock won't last for very long. Its great now, but advertisers won't pay websites if everybody starts using adblock, and so websites will all do something to stop adblock. Its just a matter of time before it happens.

They someone will just invent a adblocking software program to get around whatever new adsoftware the websites make. Then its a never ending software armrace like hackers and antivirus software makers. 

outlawauron said:

The commentator was a total dick and deserves to be called out. Honestly, I don't see how that's going berserk. He was incredibly calm about it.

I don't see how anyone can attack Patcher over that video.

He's just totally wrong about everything.

1 - There would be internet, and there was internet before ads.

2- Adblock doesn't supress revenue from ads, it's not 0 or 1. Every user using it diminish the average revenue by user, that's all. You have the average click by user, average viewing by user, etc., it's not like a switch off for revenue appeared. The same way you know on television that on average some percent doesn't watch ads. If it was television, the commentator would just be saying he uses his remote controller to not watch any commercial... and Patcher answer is a scumbag. Wtf ?

3 - He's saying the commentator is worst kind of guy. And he's not. I can't forgive Patcher being so personal he makes using a software for bypassing ads worst than raping, killing, etc, just because, you know, that's his money.

4 - He make a point about professional work on internet needed to be paid. Indeed, I spent 5 years learning computing, 10 years working and learning, developing the kind of website he's puting his video on, putting the effort and passion that became experience and skill, and could not do that for free. What the guy is doing is talking out of the thin air in front of a camera, randomly telling wrong prediction, and uploading it for free on a website. He's a very lucky guy internet came to existence so he can take revenue from bullshit, inexperience and amateurism. He's absolutely not different from free content, it's worth nothing.