By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

Kasz216 said:
Torillian said:

No you can't, you pay for it the amount that's asked or you don't get it.  Anything other than that is stealing.  You can't barter for things without the other person's involvement.  

What you're saying is that you've concluded that the bulk of the content you use on the internet should be free and therefore you feel right in using it for free, but that's not how you're supposed to vote with your dollars.  The creator decides what they think is a fair price and then you can either have the thing for the price the manufacturer is asking of you or you can choose not to pay that and not have it.  Eventually the market will then fluctuate to a point that the bulk of consumers find the price reasonable.  Deciding that something should be free and taking that into your own hands is simply stealing.  

Those in favor of things like adblock liken it to changing channels from commercials on your TV, but I think it's more accurately compared using a cable splitter on your neighbor's cable.  

That said, this situation is different in that, it's VERY easy for the creators to block people using adblock software.

They don't however, because they know that views are valuable even by poeople who use adblock.  

Store owners in this case are deliberitly letting apples go because it's good for buisness.  Just not as good as they want.

In this way, peoples views are just as much a commodity as the content people create.

Though I kind of feel like that the reason for this comes full circle if the site's only source of revenue are from ads.  Higher numbers look better and those that provide the ad revenue find those numbers more appealing.  But that is, of course, an oversimplification of the process.  A lot more goes into this, and adblock isn't evil.  However, the attitude that goes with it (I think) is, metaphorically speaking.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:
Torillian said:

No you can't, you pay for it the amount that's asked or you don't get it.  Anything other than that is stealing.  You can't barter for things without the other person's involvement.  

What you're saying is that you've concluded that the bulk of the content you use on the internet should be free and therefore you feel right in using it for free, but that's not how you're supposed to vote with your dollars.  The creator decides what they think is a fair price and then you can either have the thing for the price the manufacturer is asking of you or you can choose not to pay that and not have it.  Eventually the market will then fluctuate to a point that the bulk of consumers find the price reasonable.  Deciding that something should be free and taking that into your own hands is simply stealing.  

Those in favor of things like adblock liken it to changing channels from commercials on your TV, but I think it's more accurately compared using a cable splitter on your neighbor's cable.  

That said, this situation is different in that, it's VERY easy for the creators to block people using adblock software.

They don't however, because they know that views are valuable even by poeople who use adblock.  

Store owners in this case are deliberitly letting apples go because it's good for buisness.  Just not as good as they want.

In this way, peoples views are just as much a commodity as the content people create.

Though I kind of feel like that the reason for this comes full circle if the site's only source of revenue are from ads.  Higher numbers look better and those that provide the ad revenue find those numbers more appealing.  But that is, of course, an oversimplification of the process.  A lot more goes into this, and adblock isn't evil.  However, the attitude that goes with it (I think) is, metaphorically speaking.

Oh sure, things could reach a critical mass point.

In that case though... software that blocks adblockuseres would be implemeted, which would lead to one of two thigns.

1) People would stop using it.

2) The websites/programs would die.  

Both are acceptable... afterall, a store isn't entitled to make money off apples or whatever product they're selling in the first place.

It requires demand.

Well or they'll just use adds that bypass addblock which also totally exist.

To me the whole thing reminds me of the whole used games arguement that big publishers try and make for why gamestop is evil and killing them and people who shop their are immoral jerks who want to destroy gaming.

It argues off the basis of an inflection point that may never actually be reached... and if it is, likely says less about the end user, and more about how the product is offered and for what price.

Twitch TV is in talks to be bought by google for an excess of 1 Billion dollars, and the most successful and profitable youtube guy plays videogames.

So to argue that the market isn't out there in videogames is untrue.

Another problem is that you are forced to watch the same video again and again.

Yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw the WatchDogs commercial on youtube (the guy selling phones to people with a special app etc)

Was the first time in ages I a saw a commercial on youtube and I watched all of it because it was quite a great commercial unlike the other 99%. The problem was 2 videos later it got annoying.

Neither consumers not game publishers are helped when the commercials get annoying.