By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

It is the sites their mistake that a lot of people use adblock, We have evolved from ads on sites, to pop ups on sites to video ads that start playing without your permission for people who use a lot of open tabs it is a nightmare... X_X...

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
It is the sites their mistake that a lot of people use adblock, We have evolved from ads on sites, to pop ups on sites to video ads that start playing without your permission for people who use a lot of open tabs it is a nightmare... X_X...

Don't really know what you're trying to say, but I have a feeling I disagree.

What it seems like you're saying is that it's the sites fault people use adblock, which doesn't make much sense.  People would use adblock regardless of how the advertisment is done.  A lot of sites have abandoned the pop-up ads and stick with ads that run off the blank spaces on the site or something.  But there is another thing you need to know about ads.  It's that the site does NOT actually choose exactly the ad that appears on the site.  The people running the ads do.  While the site can pick from different vendors for ads, it is ultimately not the person hosting the site's decision.  Or that's what I believe how a lot of them work.

MDMAlliance said:
GamechaserBE said:

What it seems like you're saying is that it's the sites fault people use adblock, which doesn't make much sense.  People would use adblock regardless of how the advertisment is done.  A lot of sites have abandoned the pop-up ads and stick with ads that run off the blank spaces on the site or something.  But there is another thing you need to know about ads.  It's that the site does NOT actually choose exactly the ad that appears on the site.  The people running the ads do.  While the site can pick from different vendors for ads, it is ultimately not the person hosting the site's decision.  Or that's what I believe how a lot of them work.

Normally sites can decide they don't like a form of advertisements...

I have no problem to go on a site like Vgchartz and see ads from games I am not interested in,  most ads are amazon related for me and are the form of ads I enjoy...

but when you have to read 500 posts in PS nation or +500 posts in the Xbo nation...and every time you go to the next page you get a pop up I can understand people don't enjoy it...and start to use adblock

I am one of those users with more than 10 tabs open and sometimes while reading a post a site decides to open a video advertisement for no reason well who would not use adblock then?

GamechaserBE said:
MDMAlliance said:
GamechaserBE said:

Normally sites can decide they don't like a form of advertisements...

I have no problem to go on a site like Vgchartz and see ads from games I am not interested in,  most ads are amazon related for me and are the form of ads I enjoy...

but when you have to read 500 posts in PS nation or +500 posts in the Xbo nation...and every time you go to the next page you get a pop up I can understand people don't enjoy it...and start to use adblock

I am one of those users with more than 10 tabs open and sometimes while reading a post a site decides to open a video advertisement for no reason well who would not use adblock then?

They can choose from a list, but they don't ACTUALLY choose WHAT it is, since they're only HOSTING is my point.  They have some control over their ads, but sometimes there really isn't a choice.  It's kind of like how you may have the illusion to choose not to have a car.  Depending on where you live, you can actually use other forms of transportation.  But in some places, if you choose not to have a car it is also essentially choosing not to have a job or a good life in general.  This applies to sites with advertisements as well.  

While certain situations might make people want to enable adblock onto a site, another thing you need to realize is that you're also opting to cheat and use a service for free and not in any way help out the situation.  The problem here is that there really aren't very many other ways for many of these sites to operate and choosing to adblock can lead to the site eventually disappearing or downgrading to something less than what it was before.  There are plenty of potential risks and I do NOT blame the sites for that.  I think it's mostly the peoples' fault.  Of course, as a business, you should also be trying to find ways around these tendency.  However, don't come crying when a site you like shuts down for something like this.

DerNebel said:

For the person that said Youtubers are ok with it and specifically mentioned Boogie as one of the guys that's not "after the money"

Found this on Neogaf in the thread about this topic:

Originally Posted by boogie2988

Hi there. I got mentioned a few times in this thread so I thought I would come in here and talk about this.

If you use adblock and not viewing ads when you consume content then you are directly denying income for those who are creating the content you are about to consume.

It takes time, effort, equipment, and money to product it. It costs you nothing either way.

But here's the thing. When you sit through an ad you are participating in one of the best deals in the century.

You get free content.
The person creating it gets paid.
It costs money for a MULTIBILLION dollar company to produce, and show that ad. That money goes into the hands of the person who created the content you consumed.

You literally get to be robin hood. You literally get to steal from the rich and give to the poor.

If you're choosing not to do that, I agree with pach; you are a pretty rude person.

Now that said, I still enjoy you watching my content either way. I'm making X amount of dollars and lets say 60% of my users use adblock so I could be making 60% more income. That would be certainly great.

I'm very happy though to be making X. I really hope it doesnt lessen, and I really won't be butthurt if it doesnt increase.

But if you choose to not be Robin Hood in exchange for sitting through a 30 second advertisement then you're a bit self centered for sure.

Just saying.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112551916&postcount=1031

I would certainly feel better if I would not have to watch the 30 second video before the actual video but instead get a 5 second "this video is presented to you by GAME X" or whatever....  in the video.
5 Seconds is okay and not annoying  but wanting me to SKIP after 5 seconds is annoying again because It requires action.

He could let some small mini commercials show up in a corner for a few seconds like the ones when watching a TV show that are ads for other TV shows e.g "blah blah new season starting 1 June 2014 @ 8 p.m.)etc.

Make it 3 second ads. 
1st second GAME TITLE.
2nd second SAY WHAT IT IS e.g NEW RPG by company X
3rd second RELEASE DATE 

Other acceptable ways would be to get his wall decorated with posters of recently released games send to him by the publishers. He could also consume stuff like FountainPoo on his videos etc.

This way he gets payed a AND no most viewers are not annoyed. And everyone could be happy xD

But NOPE it seems way to bothersome for him so his arbitrary 30 second ads are way to bothersome for me too.

Again viewers want a compromise  "content creators" do not.  Their fault.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
mysteryman said:

The onus is on advertisers to do their job effectively. If overly-aggressive ads are losing them views, that's their fault.

It is akin to losing money for poor work.

The fact that they are losing views because of the overly-agressive ads isn't really the problem, it's how they are losing them.  I don't think anyone has a problem with the free market idea that if you don't like what payment you're required to give for a service you can choose a different one.  So if you don't like the advertisements on a site you can just go to a different one.  What I don't agree with is you don't like the ads on a site so you just dcide to not see the ads but use the site's content anyway.  If you don't agree with how much money a grocery store is charging for an apple then you can go to a different grocery store, but you can't just decide it's not worth that much money and take the apple without paying.  Sure, you never signed a contract saying you'd view ads in order to get a site's content, but you never signed anything with the grocery store either.    

I agree with the analogy, but disagree that it is an apt analogy.

With the supermarket, you pay the vendor directly. Disagreeance with the vendors prices can be shown by directly denying the vendor your money and shopping elsewhere.

For internet sites, the vendor's (site owners) are paid by the advertisors, who in turn generate income based on your view. If you have an issue with the advertising, simply "shopping elsewhwere" sends the message that the site itself is undesirable. How do you let the site owner know that you enjoy their site, but feel the advertising is too aggressive/ performance hindering/ potentially virus-laden?

A closer analogy (though I still don't think perfect) would be a parking lot operated by a third party. If you disagree with the parking lot prices/management, but still require access to the building it is attached to, you can find another way to get there that doesn't profit the parking lot company.

mysteryman said:

The onus is on advertisers to do their job effectively. If overly-aggressive ads are losing them views, that's their fault.

It is akin to losing money for poor work.

I don´t know which Websites you are visiting but the ones I am frquenting I don´t consider overally agressive 

As someone that has worked in the online advertising industry for the last 10 years, Pach's response, this thread and topic itself is pretty hilarious.

According to latest stats, gaming and tech sites have up to 40% ad block usage, compared to 15% for most other categories. That really sucks for some of the content creators who truly provide quality gaming content.

However there are a lot of gaming sites that totally deserve adblock enabled as all the do is fish for clicks, and provide absolutely no value.

Its best to have an adblock blacklist. :)

Untamoi said:
MoHasanie said:

I didn't mean it in a bad way. People that DVR shows aren't stealing anything, but its better for the networks and the future of your favourite shows if you watch your shows live. Well actually it doesn't matter what you or I do, because unless you are a Nielsen family, what you do doesn't affect anything. 

Yes, the TV networks have to adapt now but still they haven't. 

It may be better for TV networks that people watch shows live but is that they still don't understand technology. People are still prepared to pay for content and are paying just to get rid of ads even if content itself wouldn't change. That is why people pay for Netflix and other streaming services which have no ads.

Heck, people have a long time paid extra money for cable channels which don't have ads. I'm not from USA but I think for example HBO doesn't have normal ads at all and they still can afford to make expensive quality TV shows. If you can make big-budget TV shows without any ads, it just shows that something is wrong with traditional TV network thinking...

There's a problem with this. People wouldn't pay for the show(s). The problem lies in the massive costs to make a show/movie. The ads intially paid for the content to be made during first run. And then netflix licences it later. At a cost people like. If ads were fully removed from all Networks. Compared to HBO and the like. Majority of shows would be low budget, be short like HBO seasons, or not exist. Because costs to subscrible to netflix, other online places, and your cable company would have to increase a lot more than what you pay now. reducing people legally doing it. Think about it. 200 channels. All requiring $500,000-$1,000,000 per ep budgets.

Would people accept the price hike to fully remove ads from shows, from first runs? What would happen to companies in the first place? Your favorite movie thats coming out would have no traditional ad on TV. That toy matel is trying to make will now have no exposure. it's a really fine line there. It gets rid of the totally shit ads. But it also will get rid of your favorite stuff. Where would Nintendo, Sony, and Mircosoft show their ads? They be stuck on the internet only. The famous Super Bowl ads would be also gone.

Torillian said:
padib said:
Torillian said:

If the main grocer in my area is the only one to offer content I consider worthwhile (or for example stocks a unique item I can't find elsewhere), and grossly overcharges me, I could take the item, put the money on the counter which I consider reasonable and smile.

I may be arrested for it, but it doesn't make any of it legitimate or right. It's like j-walking a light which is clearly broken.

No you can't, you pay for it the amount that's asked or you don't get it.  Anything other than that is stealing.  You can't barter for things without the other person's involvement.  

What you're saying is that you've concluded that the bulk of the content you use on the internet should be free and therefore you feel right in using it for free, but that's not how you're supposed to vote with your dollars.  The creator decides what they think is a fair price and then you can either have the thing for the price the manufacturer is asking of you or you can choose not to pay that and not have it.  Eventually the market will then fluctuate to a point that the bulk of consumers find the price reasonable.  Deciding that something should be free and taking that into your own hands is simply stealing.  

Those in favor of things like adblock liken it to changing channels from commercials on your TV, but I think it's more accurately compared using a cable splitter on your neighbor's cable.  

Assuming your neighbor agrees, splitter's should totall be legal.  Hell considering that sattelite and a bunch of other stuff is just being beamed into my backyard anyway, it should be legal for me to put up any pirate dish i want and "intercept" what's being broadcast in my back yard.  Cable and Sattelite company laws are kinda garbage actually.

That said, this situation is different in that, it's VERY easy for the creators to block people using adblock software.

They don't however, because they know that views are valuable even by poeople who use adblock.  

Store owners in this case are deliberitly letting apples go because it's good for buisness.  Just not as good as they want.

In this way, peoples views are just as much a commodity as the content people create.