By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

Watched that yesterday and thought it was hilarious (I always enjoy Pach's rants)...funny thing, the very reason I installed ad-block in the first place is intrusiveness of ads on GT.

Around the Network

The saddest part which I find most hilarious is more people will likely use Adblock now due to his rant. I mean it's free advertising. There are some people that might have never heard of it before but do now. Then there are some that never bothered to download it but will now simply because it pisses off a perceived crotchety old man.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

badgenome said:
Hard to say which of them is the bigger jerk. I don't think using Ad Block is morally akin to piracy, though, because no one ever entered into an agreement to view such ads just by accessing a website and site owners always have the option of blocking Ad Block users if it's that important to them.

Niether you nor I nor ANYONE owes ANY website a penny. Ads are a cat and mouse game. Websites try to screw us over by sneaking them into every video and click? Then it's fair game we try to eliminate them. 

vivster said:

It's morally akin to piracy if you are an asshole about it. From this guy's wording I wouldn't be surprised if he actually was a pirate.

OT My love for Pachter will only grow.

Well, that is true in this particular case, I suppose. But generally it's no different than pop up blockers. If your business model is centered around annoying your customers and exposing to them to malware and allowing advertisers to track them without their consent, and is so easily circumnagivable on top of it, it's a really bad business model.

not using adblock because those ads don't bother me much. yet i still can't see how it would be worse if i would choose to use it. sure there might be people who would not get paid but i'm sure the companies who pay them are not satisfied because of me only watching those ads. i'm sure they want me to buy their stuff as well. but the thing is i'm not interested in let's say 99.9% of those products. so wouldn't it better in the long term to tell them, by using adblock, that i'm not their targetgroup or is that 0.1% really worth all that effort?

Around the Network
badgenome said:
vivster said:

It's morally akin to piracy if you are an asshole about it. From this guy's wording I wouldn't be surprised if he actually was a pirate.

OT My love for Pachter will only grow.

Well, that is true in this particular case, I suppose. But generally it's no different than pop up blockers. If your business model is centered around annoying your customers and exposing to them to malware and allowing advertisers to track them without their consent, and is so easily circumnagivable on top of it, it's a really bad business model.

Yep. Bad thing is though that with adblock on default you will never know if a particular site has annoying or reasonable ads and since it's so convenient, nobody would turn it off just to check.

I do not pity the people who run those sites though. They chose their business and will have to deal with it. I'm seeing a lot of sites going the route of asking their users to kindly turn it off.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Some peoples' comments in this thread are just horribly naive.

Now that Google is buying Twtich, and I doubt they will miss the opportunity to make it have adds like Youtube.

I don't mind some add, the sponsors deserve some recognition. But some ads, (looking at you KitKat) are so bad I never want to buy the product. They are the ones you usually see over and over again.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

pokoko said:
The reason for the rise of AdBlock isn't because of ads, it's because of obnoxious advertising practices. If something is only mildly intrusive then people won't spend energy circumventing it. When it gets to downright annoying or even frustrating for the audience, then the fault falls directly on the heads of those who made it so.

Content providers need to look at the situation and understand that the real problem isn't AdBlock, it's intrusive ads that lead to people going out and downloading AdBlock or even avoiding their websites altogether.

I will tell you now that I would not visit VGC if I could not block the ads. Having multiple video ads PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME is fucking annoying. Likewise, I stopped visiting NFL.com because every single time I would check on a score, a video ad would play. VGC is actually the reason I finally went out an downloaded AdBlock in the first place.

True!!!

I whitelist the websites that I use regularly, but if they use ads that:

1. obstruct parts of the website or automatically redirect to something else making navigation hard
2. automatically play sounds - I'm not too bothered by small videos
3. are flashing heavily/ are very distracting making reading the website a horrible experience
4. slow down website loading (not just by a bit, but very noticeably so) or slow down my PC to a crawl

then I activate adblock again, but I do try to give them another chance like every month