By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:
kowenicki said:

A lot?

by how much?

it will be similar at best. 

BenVTrigger has an incredible track record and he called this months NPD a long time ago. He said both consoles dropped in sales but the XB1 was struggling. 115k sales for the month and the pre-emptive NPD announcement of a Kinect-less SKU for $400 and dropping the paywall for apps like Netflix only further strengthen his claim from weeks ago.

In this thread he already stated that MLB The Show sold incredible and that PS4 is already tracking ahead of April #s.

Considering his track record I would say it is very likely the PS4 sales go up. Remember, PS4 had no noticable releases in April. For May it has MLB 14 & Watchdogs.

You enjoy rubbing salt into an open wound, don't you?

Salt helps the wound to heal faster, even if it hurts more at first.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

While the mods don't have any more general insite then the users who have been here for a while on how the numbers are worked, as someone who's done statistics before... i've alerady explained that earlier in the thread.

As for a financial conflict.  To my knowledge the only company of the big 3 that pay for Vgchartz pro is Sony.   

As for your moderation.  That was 100% justified, you pretended a Playstation game were Xbox one graphics.  

AH HA!

The conspiracy reveals itself!

VGChartz is deliberately overtracking X1 to curb allegations that it is in fact a subsidary of SCEI!

#PSChartz

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Such denial and spin in this thread. The PS4 spanking that ass in the 180s only relevant market really cuts deep here. The hopes of PS4 doing less in May is just wishful thinking by some.

COLD_COBRA_ said:

Such denial and spin in this thread. The PS4 spanking that ass in the 180s only relevant market really cuts deep here. The hopes of PS4 doing less in May is just wishful thinking by some.

Just wondering, are you the type of person to champion something even when it does do that well.  Seeing the PS4 at 199 is a win in a PS4 fanboy book seems petty if you ask me.  Such a drop no matter what the X1 is doing looks like demand is going down big time.  

Machiavellian said:
COLD_COBRA_ said:

Just wondering, are you the type of person to champion something even when it does do that well.  Seeing the PS4 at 199 is a win in a PS4 fanboy book seems petty if you ask me.  Such a drop no matter what the X1 is doing looks like demand is going down big time.  

Sales go down in April, that is normal, are you really trying to say that PS fans/Sony should worry for the PS4 because it 'only' sold 199k in its first April?

That is what I would call petty

Around the Network

Few things:

Watch_Dogs should easily do 6.8 million or whatever Ubisoft were asking for. It's still got the general hype for it, and I think it will review well. Should have some good legs and will at least mix up the market a bit. Should benefit Sony much more than MS.

200k for Sony this month is perfectly ok, considering nothing of note released at all. Let's be fair here, MS faired much much worse.

Destiny: Not surprised by it having more pre-orders nearly than Titanfall at this point. The game seems like it has way more depth and content than a over hyped and under content provided Titanfall. Wonder how much the press are going to push it, i suspect just as much in terms of content but not as much in Hype. Destiny will push Sony hardware.

Kinect Sports: Not really being mentioned much, but a massive flop... now time to get Rare to work on proper games now.

Sunset Overdrive: Will not sell that great imho and wont push much hardware, the game play they have shown so far has been good in terms of graphics (though very limited in terms of variety), but very poor in terms of content and overall gameplay (looked quite tedious). 

In terms of May. I expect with MLB and Watch_Dogs, the PS4 should do over 250k no problem. Which is a significant increase on 200k for April. I expect maybe 125k or lower for XBO. It's difficult to know if the general public will know about the kinect disaster and buy because of Watch_dogs which will increase it.... but I expect more pain for MS.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Yeah this Xbone vs. PS4 conversation is great and all but...
did I miss something or have we not gotten 3DS numbers from anyone?

I think things are even worse for Microsoft than we realize.

They must have paid an insane amount of money for Titanfall. The bundled digital copies didn't come free of charge, only an idiot would believe that. Combine that with paying the retailers to make up for the discounted $449 bundle pricing, and the HUGE marketing push. It was inescapable everywhere you went. So Titanfall costs alone were probably WELL into the hundreds of millions considering all aspects of it.

Then on the production side of things, Nov/Dec gave them confidence most likely to continue production at maximum levels, meaning that what, 1M+ excess inventory was generated rather quickly with nowhere to push it through the channel after long? So then you are stuck with warehouses full of XB1s (with Kinect, no less), and then the retailers/distributors themselves drowning in castles of XB1s, all the way to CostCos/etc, with castles of XB1s sitting there all lonely, hoping for a buyer to rescue them from their cardboard prisons.

The financial mistake of overproduction can be catastrophic, if it gets bad enough that you have to restructure the contracts with the likes of Foxconn/distribution/etc.

And then the rushed-forward news of the $399 SKU and Halo 5 (for 2015!! over a year away!!) out of the E3 to buffer the terrible April NPD release, it just bodes poorly all around. If May is sub 100k (it will be), and June is another sizable loss to PS4 (it will be), then I think Spencer goes into full war mode. They HAVE to.

Mark my words, $399 will not move the needle beyond a week, two at best.

$349, or even $299 bundle with a AAA game, that's the ticket to relevance. It WILL happen before 2015. The only question is when. If they don't do it, they're dead. If they wait too long, they're dead.

Inertia in the modern socially-connected gamer world is the most valuable thing in the world. Already across the country, groups of gaming friends are already steadily switching from previous X360/XBL dominance to PS4/PS+ dominance. And the greater the gap, the more difficult it is to climb that wall.

I Got 3 Day Ban for calling ioi's tracking a joke. Says I was trolling. But if it turned out to be true (like it did because 100k overtracked IS a JOKE!) can I get an apology???? LOLOLOL

Skidonti said:
Yeah this Xbone vs. PS4 conversation is great and all but...
did I miss something or have we not gotten 3DS numbers from anyone?

Those were sneaked in. ~106k 

Not bad but not good either

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842