By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did we REALLY need or want a new generation of consoles?

I was ready and understood every generation has this transitional phase. Putting it off a year would have just delayed everything a year.

Around the Network

this was necessary, but the next, idk.

I dont see anyone complaining about new GPU that comes every month, or new iphone that comes every year. But when console manufacturers makes a system in 5-7 years interval then all hell breaks down. I really dont get people.

A new generation is needed every 5 to 6 years to keep things new and interesting. Just don't expect bloated 7th gen level of sales. Expect more in the 3th-6th generation range.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Yes I wanted this since 2011, so for me I'm loving this and the games coming.

Around the Network

From a philosophical point of view; no we didn't because we don't actually need consoles and gaming at all. From a technical point of view; yes we did, the 7th gen machines are ancient by now and were effectively holding back development and potential ambition.

daredevil.shark said:
I dont see anyone complaining about new GPU that comes every month, or new iphone that comes every year. But when console manufacturers makes a system in 5-7 years interval then all hail breaks down. I really dont get people.

A lot of people complain about new iPhone each year and other products that have yearly releases. 

Acevil said:
daredevil.shark said:
I dont see anyone complaining about new GPU that comes every month, or new iphone that comes every year. But when console manufacturers makes a system in 5-7 years interval then all hail breaks down. I really dont get people.

A lot of people complain about new iPhone each year and other products that have yearly releases. 

That "a lot" is certainly less than those who complain about new systems.

daredevil.shark said:
Acevil said:
daredevil.shark said:

That "a lot" is certainly less than those who complain about new systems.

Luxury vs. Neccessity.

Gaming is Niche.

Just the world we live in.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I guess people have forgotten what it's like to start a new generation of consoles. Sales start off slow until the heavy hitter games come out.