By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did we REALLY need or want a new generation of consoles?

If a game isnt on next gen i automatically loose some interest in the title. On a side note i am downloading bound by flame right now on ps4 even though it is 10 dollars more just because i like the dualshock 4 much more and because eye candy. Is it needed right now? No but when was a new generation ever needed as soon as they were introduced to the public? Right now it is just some extra polish to further immerse yourself in a game

Around the Network

I wanted one 4 years ago. I dont need it anymore especially not this one because I am disappointed how it ended up. (it will even faster result in visual stagnation than the last generation)

Tbh I expected tech like that in 2010. (reminder Crysis1 was made in 2007)

Max King of the Wild said:
What you observed is nothing out of the ordinary. Ps2 was still lighting up the charts with the Ps3 and Wii out.

When it came out the PS3 (60GB) was $599 USD vs. a $129 USD PS2.  

Now we are seeing a $399 PS4 vs. a $269 PS3 (500GB).  

MSRP used for all prices.

I really wanted a new gen but since we have all three consoles out I think I would be happy if all of them would release end of this or even next year.

But I'm a PC and console gamer so that I have enough other stuff on PC to play. Not sure if I would think different if I would play only on console.

This happens EVERY generation. and its always slightly annoying when people point this out. The transitional phase from one gen to the next ALWAYS overlaps. It's how things have always been.

Around the Network

We should have just stuck with our Atari 2600s.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

yes & yes for me,it takes a while for devs/pubs to get going in a gen,have to start sometime

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Yes a new generation was much needed, and we will see a big leap in a couple years. It took a few years for us to notice a leap last gen as well. I mean can you tell me that Kameo was leaps better then anything we saw on the Xbox or Ps2? No, it takes a while for developers to get use to the new hardware and developing kits they create. I promise in 3 years time we will see a big difference.

Despite initial ''amazing'' PS4 sales and good Xbox One sales, the real answer is no.

7th Gen was a fluke, nobody expected it to last this long, nor for games like COD to sell 30m + copies. Since the emergence of alternative pastimes such as youtube, apps, tablets, smartphones etc, gaming has been in decline.

With the Wii I was begging for it. I think that I would be fine for a long time without a new console now that I have the U.