By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did we REALLY need or want a new generation of consoles?

As a silent observer, I've watched the software charts over the past few months. It really seems like people are primarily buying games for the last gen systems. It makes me wonder if we really needed a new Sony or Microsoft console. Sure, Nintendo had to play catch up in the graphics department to become HD, but did anyone seriously need an upgrade to the PS3 or 360? The software charts seem to be saying "no".

Perchance it's just a matter of ownership, as there are a ton more PS3 and 360 owners than there are PS4 and XB1 owners. Yet, I'm curious - as a gamer did you really need a new generation of consoles? Was your last gen console no longer good enough?

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

Well...people don't usually buy new consoles as soon as they come out so that would explain why people are still buying last gen games. But yes, I think it was time for new consoles.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Yes but I kinda expected it to be a bigger leap than what it was... But oh well... Will be looking forward to it!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hmm, the two record breaking launches of PS4 and Xbone seem to suggest that yes, people wanted next gen consoles, even more than ever since launch line ups weren't earth shattering. That's understandable though, since we just had the longest generation ever (I think). I also personally wanted a new generation and the potential it brings, that's why I've bought a PS4 day 1.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

I am happy with my current PS3 - Wii U combo. Nintendo needed the graphic update to HD, but I don't feel the new generation is bringing much to the table, yes better looking graphics but not extremely better, at least not 500-600 dollars better.

That is why I am holding my next console purchase till holiday 2015 at least, maybe longer, at the end if it is graphic capabilities I really wanted, I could just update my PC and get even better results.

Around the Network

Yes because things like Bf4 64 players on PC and 24 on ps3/360 with poor framerate under 30fps were too much.

What you observed is nothing out of the ordinary. Ps2 was still lighting up the charts with the Ps3 and Wii out. User base of 160m is a lot easier to sell to than a user base of 11m. Next year however, focus should probably start shifting to new systems

It was absolutely time for a new generation. How long can 360 stay on the market and be considered current gen hardware? Apparently 8 years. I'm glad we didn't make it 9.

People were absolutely screaming for the next gen by the time the One and PS4 came out

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

It was needed, although it was not the jump that most were expecting. Out of all the consoles, Nintendo should have held off until last November (instead of 2012) and given themselves more time to get acquainted with the Wii U hardware, so that sales would not have suffered so badly with lack of releases.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"