By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I was right. 3DS sold > shipped

Seece said:
Fusioncode said:
3DS sales really fell off a cliff, Nintendo did a poor job keeping momentum going even though it had a fantastic first two years.

Think they forecast 2m+ for this Q and got 590k? Abysmal.

1.757.084...sales to according vgchartz...590000...what?

Around the Network
taspao said:
Seece said:
Fusioncode said:
3DS sales really fell off a cliff, Nintendo did a poor job keeping momentum going even though it had a fantastic first two years.

Think they forecast 2m+ for this Q and got 590k? Abysmal.

1.757.084...sales to according vgchartz...590000...what?

ok..i got it ,vgchartz overteracked 3ds:P

vgchartz is making adjustments...overtracked q4 because has undertracked q3!

binary solo said:
bananaking21 said:
Fusioncode said:

and thats the problem when you dont push new ips strongly. it already got 2D and 3D mario, mario kart, animal crossing, zelda, pokemon, and it will be getting smash bro's. but whats next? every major tittle on the 3DS seems to be a sequel. 

That is so it. They've milked those franchises so long people are just not interested. They are collapsing down to their core of support who will always love and buy those franchises. But even in the hanheld area that's not enough to sustain a viable console hardware company. Wii was a strange anomaly that gave a false hope about ongoing success. But worse it turns out DS was a bit of an anomaly too, which Nintndo could not repeat with 3DS. Where to from here for them?

I wouldn't call the DS an anomaly as the GB, GBA and PSP did sell very well it's just that handhelds have always had casual gamers, those who only ever buy 1 or 2 games ( I was a casual handheld gamer had a GB for Tetris only then sold it and bought a 2nd for Pokemon Red but they were the only handheld games I ever owned ).

That chunk of the audience uses smartphones now from those I know who bought DS's in my family it was for Brain age of all things.

I have a draw with 5 DS models and 5 copy's of Brain age were family members have broken them and given them to me to see if I could repair them (I only got one working again). 

ahhhhhh seecee 0.63     not 0.59

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Wasn't this the same last year too?

Wasn't this the same last year too?

edit*

I checked, yes. 

March 31st 2013:

Nintendo shipped:  31.09m

VGC sold: 30.21

No it wasnt the same but wow thats some swing.  So from 1m supply to -0.4m supply.  You can basically say that VGC has overtracked the 3DS by up to 2m for the last 12 months.

I believe the overtracking was mentioned before. I remember some months back NPD showing the 3DS being well overtracked here and then in the following months VGC continued to show the 3DS selling just as much as it did before and we can see here that it all added up to what we see now.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Squirtle Squirtle (You sir are fucking awesome! I herby grant you the Squirtle Squirtle Squirtle Squirtle? Squirtle... title.)

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

kowenicki said:
I did say here years ago that dedicated handhelds were in serious trouble... I was ridiculed.

I think only Kitler53 agreed with me back then. Now its so obvious.

I don't know if I agreed with you then, but I certainly thought mobile phones were going to eat into handheld sales significantly. But I think even Michael Pachter saw that coming, but perhaps not quite so badly.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

*insert humble bow*

kowenicki said:
I did say here years ago that dedicated handhelds were in serious trouble... I was ridiculed.

I think only Kitler53 agreed with me back then. Now its so obvious.

You're wrong here, I've been saying the same thing for years as well and gotten no end of abuse for it. People really didn't want to face such a possibility, it seemed, and somehow expected the console market to just keep on growing. When the Vita started tanking from the start, it should have been painfully obvious, unless they were thinking that the 3DS would sell 200 million ++ to avoid a contraction.

It was obvious with the rise of the smartphone and tablet and the myriad of social and browser games popping up that dedicated handhelds would take the first direct hit.