By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I was right. 3DS sold > shipped

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
DerNebel said:
Could be possible that the 3DS sold less than the X1 in 2014 up till now, right? I think it's definitely close.

I'd have to run the figures but yeah.

This is very odd.  3DS sales have fallen off a cliff surely?

Dec 2013:

Shipped 42.74m  Sold 41.78m

March 2014

Shipped 43.44m  Sold  43.85m

So if we assume the sold is actually more likely to be 43.0m maximum then... (assuming VGC was correct in Dec 2013)

- The 3DS has sold around 1.22m this year so far and not 2.07m  (it was 2.5m same period last year)

- So we would need to reduce 3DS ytd sales by 850k.

That's crazy. A 54% drop YoY in the 4th year? Has this ever happened?

Around the Network

VG Chartz numbers are just estimates.
What really matter are the official manufacturer numbers on its financial reports

ghettoglamour said:
Those damn smartphones and tablets are killing the dedicated handhelds. There won't be another portable Playstation console for sure, but how many more will Nintendo release? 1, 2, none?

This is exactly why MS said no to the handheld market ^

bananaking21 said:
Fusioncode said:
3DS sales really fell off a cliff, Nintendo did a poor job keeping momentum going even though it had a fantastic first two years.

and thats the problem when you dont push new ips strongly. it already got 2D and 3D mario, mario kart, animal crossing, zelda, pokemon, and it will be getting smash bro's. but whats next? every major tittle on the 3DS seems to be a sequel. 

That is so it. They've milked those franchises so long people are just not interested. They are collapsing down to their core of support who will always love and buy those franchises. But even in the hanheld area that's not enough to sustain a viable console hardware company. Wii was a strange anomaly that gave a false hope about ongoing success. But worse it turns out DS was a bit of an anomaly too, which Nintndo could not repeat with 3DS. Where to from here for them?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Rogerioandrade said:
VG Chartz numbers are just estimates.
What really matter are the official manufacturer numbers on its financial reports

It's still down yoy, no matter what your source is.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
jlmurph2 said:
ghettoglamour said:
Those damn smartphones and tablets are killing the dedicated handhelds. There won't be another portable Playstation console for sure, but how many more will Nintendo release? 1, 2, none?

This is exactly why MS said no to the handheld market ^

Did they officially say that? I think Microsoft's chances of success in handhelds are minimal with or without mobile phones dominating the market.

Yes, Phil Spencer on his twitter a couple days ago. Said they wouldn't go into the handheld market and that the furthest they would go is adding games and controller support to smartphones and tablets.

Congratulations. Have a cookie for correcting a site that estimates stuff for free lol.

After Sony and npd numbers, I expect major adjustments

Good call there Seece.

Worrying times indeed.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Seece said:
Fusioncode said:
3DS sales really fell off a cliff, Nintendo did a poor job keeping momentum going even though it had a fantastic first two years.

Think they forecast 2m+ for this Q and got 590k? Abysmal.

Yikes, that's ugly.