By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I was right. 3DS sold > shipped

Now we know why they decided to release the 3DS version of Smash bros 1st-

Around the Network

how many weeks did 3DS win this year because it doesn't appear it was being this overtracked

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

You did indeed call it. Good job.

kowenicki said:
I did say here years ago that dedicated handhelds were in serious trouble... I was ridiculed.

I think only Kitler53 agreed with me back then. Now its so obvious.

i remember that thread but there were a few others that agreed with us even if not as wholeheartedly.  soundwave comes to mind.

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
kowenicki said:
I did say here years ago that dedicated handhelds were in serious trouble... I was ridiculed.

i remember that thread but there were a few others that agreed with us even if not as wholeheartedly.  soundwave comes to mind.

It was a few years ago... I'd look for the thread so I can point and laugh.  But I'm above all that (i.e. I can't be arsed, too busy)

couldn't have been just too long ago.  i was pretty optomistic on vita until is launched.

Around the Network

People need to stop fighting and just embrace the world of mobile gaming, as I did.

It's much greater than the anti-mobile rebels think. Some very fun titles on there.

Also reminds of back when Vita was initially criticized for having too many full sized console type titles as people said handheld gaming needs to be more bite sized and meant for on the go. Play a bit here, play a bit there.

That is exactly what smartphone gaming is, which is why I am shocked at how much hate it gets. Play a bit here, play a bit there. Play with your friends online or play with your friends by handing off the device. Send challenges to friends through Gamecenter to try and beat your high scores or just spend time earning some achievement points.

It is great gaming.

Best of all, it will always be with you since it is your phone as well. So no strange looks from people when you whip out that big ol' 3DS and/or Vita in the middle of work. Instead you get "Yo, what game are you playing?".

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

kowenicki said:
Mummelmann said:
kowenicki said:

You're wrong here, I've been saying the same thing for years as well and gotten no end of abuse for it. People really didn't want to face such a possibility, it seemed, and somehow expected the console market to just keep on growing. When the Vita started tanking from the start, it should have been painfully obvious, unless they were thinking that the 3DS would sell 200 million ++ to avoid a contraction.

It was obvious with the rise of the smartphone and tablet and the myriad of social and browser games popping up that dedicated handhelds would take the first direct hit.

Apparently not.  As my and your experience here show.

Haha, true enough! I don't see how anyone could believe that we could comfortable fit so many different segments without anyone taking hits, there is no such thing as perpetual growth, especially in a market as splintered and partitioned as gaming today. Even though the total market revenue has just about doubled in about a decade; that doesn't mean that all parts will develop equally, I think that overall growth is what people are staring themselves blind at while the basic foundation of markets and economics fly more or less straight over their heads.

Another big reason mobile gaming hits handhelds so hard is that you can easily grab a game on your smart devide for $0-$0.99 and get lost for a few days and even if you lose interest it is no big deal since it didn't drop you $30-$40 in the hole.

In that situation you can just browse for another title to kill some time on.

Compared to mobile gaming handheld gaming look outragously expensive.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Mobile gaming > dedicated handheld :P

I do hope we get Pokemon on iOS soon tho :( I don't think it'll happen unfortunately.

kids are on the internet these days as soon as mummy pops them out,playing browser/facebook type games or whatever they get up to,who is left for handhelds now,tablets and phones gobble this up all day long,

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt