By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will the Mario Kart 8 promotion sell Wii Us?

Will this promotion work in selling more WiiUs?

yes 387 82.87%

no 37 7.92%

see results 43 9.21%

Total:467

Yes, I do wish they had a bundle without the Wiimote and wheel that could be cheaper, but still the free game and bundles will move a lot of consoles. Not sure how long the sales bump will last though. Hopefully they can get Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta out soon to not lose any momentum.

Around the Network

I just can't believe we have to wait 2 weeks to even see the preorders for yesterday. I know for a fact that they had a lot.

RolStoppable said:
A few thousand. Which is pretty good for a console that only sells a few hundred units each week.

A few hundred a week? Where are you getting your data?

It'll provide a decent boost for a few weeks, not much beyond that. I don't see how it's going to support the WiiU until Smash Bros comes.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Zero999 said:
Mummelmann said:
Sell Wii U's? Probably. Sell enough of them to make a big difference? I doubt it, Nintendo and many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays (let's face it; titles like X and Bayonetta 2 won't do much at all on a global scale). Advertising MK is, of course, going to help but don't expect a genie in a lamp out of it, is all I'm saying.
I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer.

MK will do terrific numbers lifetime and will bolster the software library more than any previously released titles since the franchise is so big, but we still need to keep it realistic, and a lot of people simply aren't.

"many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays" what? did you just made that up? cause nintendo has much more than one game to keep momentum and no one is saying MK 8 alone will do that. and E3 is right around the corner for momentum too.

"I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer." do you realize that MK is like the biggest IP in the industry right now?

What, besides MK, can pose as true system selling software until Smash? Delayed Watchdogs? Bayonetta 2? X? Will these games truly move systems? I'm not making anything up, can you name which other big titles will help keep the momentum until Smash arrives? The PS4 and One are also in for a meager summer, it's generally a slow time of year.

It is certainly Nintendo's biggest IP, no doubt, and it sold insane amounts on the Wii. This does not equate to monstrous hardware boosts and certainly not in the 200-300k release week ballpark and 1 million, heck even 500k for one month as a boost simply due to MK is incredibly unrealistic. Feel free to tell me how that is false though, same goes for the above.

E3 for momentum? E3 is where Nintendo are usually the most invisible of them all and with so many other conventions having grown and E3 cutting down on non-gaming press visitors in later year; E3 has lost a lot of significance. The fact that Nintendo have purposefully steered away from E3 for some time won't do them any favors either. Since when did E3 announcements result in hardware boosts? That doesn't really happen for any console at any rate, boosts come when software releases, not when the developer tells that it will release in the future.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Zero999 said:

"many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays" what? did you just made that up? cause nintendo has much more than one game to keep momentum and no one is saying MK 8 alone will do that. and E3 is right around the corner for momentum too.

"I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer." do you realize that MK is like the biggest IP in the industry right now?

What, besides MK, can pose as true system selling software until Smash? Delayed Watchdogs? Bayonetta 2? X? Will these games truly move systems? I'm not making anything up, can you name which other big titles will help keep the momentum until Smash arrives? The PS4 and One are also in for a meager summer, it's generally a slow time of year.

It is certainly Nintendo's biggest IP, no doubt, and it sold insane amounts on the Wii. This does not equate to monstrous hardware boosts and certainly not in the 200-300k release week ballpark and 1 million, heck even 500k for one month as a boost simply due to MK is incredibly unrealistic. Feel free to tell me how that is false though, same goes for the above.

E3 for momentum? E3 is where Nintendo are usually the most invisible of them all and with so many other conventions having grown and E3 cutting down on non-gaming press visitors in later year; E3 has lost a lot of significance. The fact that Nintendo have purposefully steered away from E3 for some time won't do them any favors either. Since when did E3 announcements result in hardware boosts? That doesn't really happen for any console at any rate, boosts come when software releases, not when the developer tells that it will release in the future.

1.make up your mind. is it about huge system sellers or keeping momentum? nintendo has games for that

2.you are free to believe that.

3. most invisible? no, it always gets as much showcase or more than the others. and it's about the E3 announcements for momentum.

@Clyde: (greatly off topic) what exactly does the COMG on your sig stands for? There is a long thread with that title but I've never been bothered to look.

Mario Kart 8 will push consoles, but the average person won't even know about the promotion if isn't marketed/Labeled right on the box of the bundle.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

200-300k push first month, 20k each month after. its that game everybody is waiting for.

Of course it will, and it's gonna be a good boost the first week/month, now it all depends on Nintendo how long it lasts. They said the game was gonna be advertised all year long and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be the only game Nintendo is gonna put its effort on... It's gonna be ineteresting to see how Nintendo manages their marketing!