By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will the Mario Kart 8 promotion sell Wii Us?

Will this promotion work in selling more WiiUs?

yes 387 82.87%

no 37 7.92%

see results 43 9.21%

Total:467
celador said:
Wii U sales will see a nice short term boost from MK8 because it's MK8. The promotion may push a few more people over the edge in addition but it needs to be advertised properly

NICE? SHORT TERM? funny.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
celador said:
Wii U sales will see a nice short term boost from MK8 because it's MK8. The promotion may push a few more people over the edge in addition but it needs to be advertised properly

NICE? SHORT TERM? funny.

You're going to be disappointed if you think otherwise

There will be higher sales in June, but after that I expect it to decline back to normal.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Soonerman said:
Not gonna lie, I'm extremely tempted to buy this bundle!! What do I do!!!

Buy it "SOONER" rather than later. Oh, and HOOK EM!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

First week sales will be a nice boost. Who knows how much. But If MK8 has an effect, WiiU will be able to maintain above 50K a week for the entire summer. That's my baseline for not being disappointed.

It'd be nice if somehow it's better.

Around the Network

Man! If the bundle came with a red Wii U and Gamepad I'd rebuy the system! I think it will move quite a few systems given the advertising is strong enough. God I can't wait!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I agree with Mummelmann.

Nintendo is really treating MK as a "second launch" of Wii U, as they should. It will significantly accelerate Wii U install base growth. Noone knows if it will be enough though.

Mummelmann said:
Sell Wii U's? Probably. Sell enough of them to make a big difference? I doubt it, Nintendo and many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays (let's face it; titles like X and Bayonetta 2 won't do much at all on a global scale). Advertising MK is, of course, going to help but don't expect a genie in a lamp out of it, is all I'm saying.
I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer.

MK will do terrific numbers lifetime and will bolster the software library more than any previously released titles since the franchise is so big, but we still need to keep it realistic, and a lot of people simply aren't.

"many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays" what? did you just made that up? cause nintendo has much more than one game to keep momentum and no one is saying MK 8 alone will do that. and E3 is right around the corner for momentum too.

"I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer." do you realize that MK is like the biggest IP in the industry right now?

Of course it will! But they also need tv commercials and good E3 announcements.

But it will especially increase MK8 sales. Almost every Wii U owner will get it, even those that are only mildly interested.