By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will the Mario Kart 8 promotion sell Wii Us?

Will this promotion work in selling more WiiUs?

yes 387 82.87%

no 37 7.92%

see results 43 9.21%

Total:467

If they advertise it properly, it will have a good chance of boosting Wii U sales quite a lot!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I posted my excitement for Mario Kart on Facebook. My friend commented "For the Wii???" Yeah, Nintendo still has work to do.

Sell Wii U's? Probably. Sell enough of them to make a big difference? I doubt it, Nintendo and many of their biggest fans, are letting way too much ride on one title alone to carry all momentum until Smash and holidays (let's face it; titles like X and Bayonetta 2 won't do much at all on a global scale). Advertising MK is, of course, going to help but don't expect a genie in a lamp out of it, is all I'm saying.
I've seen users claiming MK will give the Wii U a hardware boost of anything from 500k to 1 million in a mere month and there are some who think it will help the Wii U sell 200-300k in a single week of late spring/early summer.

MK will do terrific numbers lifetime and will bolster the software library more than any previously released titles since the franchise is so big, but we still need to keep it realistic, and a lot of people simply aren't.

Absolutely. MK8 is the first title for Wii U that I've seen get some mainstream attention. It also looks really, really good. There are about 20 million core Nintendo fans who have yet to pick up the system, and I think many will jump on this offer. I expect a big boost in hardware sales from the title, now, and through the rest of the year.

My kid came home from school yesterday saying there was a rumour in his class that the Wii U wasn't being sold any more.

Nintendo have an uphill struggle on their hands.

Around the Network

Not gonna lie, I'm extremely tempted to buy this bundle!! What do I do!!!

Soonerman said:
Not gonna lie, I'm extremely tempted to buy this bundle!! What do I do!!!

Just buy it! It's most likely going to be worth it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It will work very well in the short term, but it will have a smaller longer lasting effect too, anyhow the baseline will slowly grow as the game library grows too, it's the same for every platform, it's just that Wii U's baseline started from a lower level due to Ninty's marketing mistakes.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Without a doubt!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Not only on these boards. But I saw at least 50 people on IGN as well.

I might make mention that since its announcement, either the bundle, or Mario Kart itself has remained in the top spot on the gamespot best seller list.