By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Version of Amazing Spiderman 2 officially cancelled according to Gamestop.

gigantor21 said:
This is just random as hell to me, considering it's coming out on almost every other platform.

What is it about the Xone that makes it less appealing than, say, the WiiU? At least I can understand it not being on the Vita because of how poorly it's selling--I don't know why they even bothered with the first game, frankly--but the Xone seems healthy enough and powerful enough to be worth the investment. Plus it's going to be on the 360 anyway, so it's not like they're avoiding MS entirely.

The whole situation is a real headscratcher. Hopefully we get a proper explanation...although I'm not keeping my hopes up on that.

Vita version will be coming in 12 months time like the first one did hahah.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Fun seeing people use the good old "dont care didn't want it anyway" like saying it makes anything better.

If you're going to climb up the side of that high horse, go the whole hog, proclaim that everyone of your fan base didn't want it because you universally have high standards, and ride that horse off in to the sunset.

lucidium said:

Fun seeing people use the good old "dont care didn't want it anyway" like saying it makes anything better.

If you're going to climb up the side of that high horse, go the whole hog, proclaim that everyone of your fan base didn't want it because you universally have high standards, and ride that horse off in to the sunset.

The best part is with all their talk about how phil spencer is going to change things, the fans themselves are exactly the same. They don't question issue like this instead saying oh its no big deal. Instead of calling Phil up or messagging him on Twitter.

"Hey Phil, why aren't we getting AMS2?"

"Hey Phil, why do I have to pay for IE?"

"Hey Phil, where are my indie games, I didn't buy a 500$ consoles to play AAA exclusives."

"Hey Phil, why do I need the Kinect?"

Nothin's gonna "change" if the fans don't.

:o

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Heckon said:

First, it smell like BS.

secondo, since when does MS doesnt allow a game to released based on quality? If there's a penny to be made by them, good or not the game will release. 

If it would be a 1st pty or exclusive game, qc theory would be plausible.

MS this gen much like Sony (last gen) is being looked at under a Microscope by people on the fense about owning a new console. Higher resolution for multiplats seem to be getting the better press.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

There arent many titles coming to the Xbox One or the PS4 right now. These companies can use as many titles as they can get. Discounting the game just because it might not be COD level quality doesnt mean it isnt a potentially quality game in serving its purpose. 

COD on the Xbox One did not reveal its resolution. Titanfalls resolution is 720 and so is Dead Rising. Both aren't exactly high quality games created to bring out the best in the Xbone either, but neither is Spiderman. Ryse was better looking that Dead Rising but I had more fun playing Dead Rising so I can let the faults of Dead Rising slide for having everything that matters where it counts. 

All I am saying is MS doesnt like bad press. 

No one is "discounting the game because it's not CoD quality". You established the correlation between the two by claiming it's a "major title" akin to CoD and that MS needs to "hide it" somehow. A notion that is laughable on multiple levels. One, it's not a major title in any way. Your comment about not discounting the game goes both ways. At the same time it's pointless to balloon the game up into something it's not. Two, MS didn't "hide" anything about CoD. Third, how does canceling the game hide it? What do you think generates more talk, ASM2 potentially running at a slightly lower resolution on Xbone, or ASM2 not running on Xbone at all?

Thanks for stating the resolution of those other games. It's strange though, I'm looking on my box art for DR3 and it doesn't say 720p anywhere. When you and your buddies were crowding around game cases at Target looking for resolutions, did they have them on the cases except CoD? Since MS hid it and all. Also, IW confirmed the games resolution 3 weeks before launch.

I am sure MS doesn't like bad press. I think most companies just adore bad press though. But again, what would generate more bad press? A 720p ASM2, or no ASM2 at all? The logic just doesn't make sense.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
doooooommmmm

I love Doom!

OT: Oh well. It doesn't look like a huge loss to me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

pezus said:
Kasz216 said:

I'm not sure thats exactly true.

People tend to make the mistake of looking a Production Budget and comparing it vs the Box Office and thinking that's all there is it.

Marketing budgets are highly expensive.  The current one being nearly ~200 M itself.

Then distribution costs.

Then Movie theatres take 30% off the top...

Then up until 2011, Marvel actually got a percentage of theatre gross.  Which apparently is why Sony makes no money off Spiderman movie games or any spiderman merchandise including anything movie related.

Pure Box Office wise seems like the Original Trilogy Spiderman movies lost money overall past the first.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/16/the-key-question-for-sony-can-the-spider-man-movie.aspx

Aren't distribution costs included in the production budget? And what's your source for the marketing budget being nearly 200M? Let's say the combined budget is then 400-450M then and that theaters take 30%, that still means the movie only has to make around $600M at the box office, something every SM film has done easily so far.

$827m for them to break even? I simply can not believe that to be true. How did they reach that estimate?
Even if that's true, the break even point should be lower now due to the 2011 deal.

In theory yes.  In practice, usually not.  

I don't even think this is even covered in that article really, but the fun well known secret about movie studios is they all lie about their production budgets.

Making the 400-450M Total budget actually probably pretty low.

Spiderman 3 for example was at one time the most expensive movie of all time, and what was admitted wasn't even close to what industry insiders said it cost... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9914883

Spiderman 3 was the most expensive, but if you take a 350 Budget + 150 Marketing campaign, that's around 500 right there... and I'm not even sure this guy was talking about everything that has to do with the movie.

Additionally, keep in mind,  the above link was counting Marvel's cut for the first 3 Spdiermen movies.  Though there are plenty of other cuts that aren't accoutned for in the production budget because well... they can't.

For example points...  The big stars look overpaid with the big numbers they get upfront, but what people don't realize is they get even more overpaid by getting a percentage of the gate.

from the link above, they suggest that the actors, directors Producers etc share is about 25%.  (and that's a low amount!)  Heck they tend to even get a cut of the DVD sales.

They say share of the profits, but they likely mean gross revenue share as actors are generally not dumb enough to except anything but revenue numbers as studios will play with the "Profits".  (For example, Return of the Jedi with all of it's liscensings and rereleases has never made a profit according to Lucasfilms.)

So going back to the article... looking at what we know,  the 827 Sony and Marvel share is looking more like $372.2 Million.  (Probably a bit more since these guys would of gotten less points in Spiderman 1 then they would have 2 &3. which i want to say were negotiated together.)

Take out marvel's share, and add the Advertising budget of the first 3 Spiderman movies.  (100 for one to 150M for 3,  2 presumibly in the middle.)

and it becomes clear pretty quick how fast the numbers add up even with the understated exec budgets.   

Nem said:
To those that dont understand, is it really that difficult to understand that they decide not to invest on a port for a console with a 4m userbase?

I think people forget that sometimes.

That argument fails because they invested in a Wii U version. X1 has generally done a better job at moving 3rd party software.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/games/the-amazing-spider-man-2/112336 it got postponed this guy got bad info who cares those this game looks terrible 

I've looked at some walkthrough gameplay of this title and quite frankly it looks awful.

I'm not sure what went wrong along the way when making the X1 version. But maybe they aren't making a serious effort to get this on X1 because of the poor quality.

If Activision cancels more noteworthy games, then I'll be worried.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)