By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Titanfall Considered a Big Exclusive for XB1 but FFXIV not for PS4?

sales2099 said:
PS gamers are just now coming to terms with our stolen culture of paywalls. A paywall on top of a paywall, coming off a history of bragging about free online MP.......too much for them to grasp.

I don't think that statement is 100% accurate because we don't need PS+ to play FFXIV, netflix, Crunchyroll and other subscription base apps or f2p games like Warframe and stuff.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Um....PS+ is required for all online MP for PS4, just like how all online MP requires Xbox Live Gold. Don't know how to make it any simpler.

To reiterate the main point home: The origional version turned off gamers, MMO's are niche on consoles, extra subscription fee ontop of PS+, and FF IP is on a downward trend. Done. Simple.

Again, PS+ is not required to play all online MP games on PS4, and you don't need PS+ to play FFXIV.

Secondly. How often do you see MMORPGs like FFXIV on consoles? It is very rare, but FFXI was the first one and it was very successful. It first launched on PS2, then PC and finally on xbox360 making it the most profitable Final Fantasy game of that era because it reached up to 2 Million players worldwide.

Now FFXIV is a success, and more MMOs is coming to consoles. Everquest Next, and ESO comes to mind right away. I expect more to follow.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
RenCutypoison said:

I remember when blue dragon and Kameo were going to be GOTG.

Now i would be shocked if anyone remembers them.

I remember when Resistance was the Halo killer...

I'll never understand why people think random comments on the web is some sort of consensus.

A game that faded into obscurity can still be a great game by the way. But you obviously cherry picked games that weren't great.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

kupomogli said:

Because Final Fantasy 14 is yet another port while Titanfall is multiconsole.  That, and most people don't want to pay $15 a month to play a game they just paid $60 for.

/thread

Justagamer said:
kupomogli said:

Because Final Fantasy 14 is yet another port while Titanfall is multiconsole.  That, and most people don't want to pay $15 a month to play a game they just paid $60 for.

/thread

it would be /thread except for the fact. multiconsole and port are semantically the same thing, not to mention FFXIV is down ported from GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE and has near-visual parity with it, while Titan Fall doesn't hit 1080, (developed on "Modified" Source Engine so its likely it started development on the 360) was upported to PC, hence the obvious lack of optimization, would cost full price if not given away for free, and cost a live subscription anyway.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Justagamer said:
kupomogli said:

/thread

It costs a gold subscription.... Ff costs $15 per month..... And remember that Sony online play, not ff 14, it's already costs $15 monthly, charges for online play. So I'm not sure what your point was. Though I do agree: pc master race is glorious.

/thread

Justagamer said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Justagamer said:
kupomogli said:

/thread

It costs a gold subscription.... Ff costs $15 per month..... And remember that Sony online play, not ff 14, it's already costs $15 monthly, charges for online play. So I'm not sure what your point was. Though I do agree: pc master race is glorious.

/thread

/reopenthread

Only online that uses Sony's Servers require PS+, which get more expensive the smaller the duration.

The point is that because of Titan Fall's lack of offline anything, the only difference between it and FFXIV are the genre, the marketting, and the scale.

FPS vs RPG

Microsoft Level Hype vs Meh Hype

Multiplayer Online vs Massively Multiplayer Online

As for the thread's question?

The XB1 needed Titan Fall, the PS4 did not.

I'm not even sure the PS4 needs games at this point tbh..

/thread

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

it would be /thread except for the fact. multiconsole and port are semantically the same thing, not to mention FFXIV is down ported from GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE and has near-visual parity with it, while Titan Fall doesn't hit 1080, (developed on "Modified" Source Engine so its likely it started development on the 360) was upported to PC, hence the obvious lack of optimization, would cost full price if not given away for free, and cost a live subscription anyway.

Ports are multiconsole titles, but don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about and spin the sentence because I'm not using the technical terms.

The technical term of multiconsole is a game that's on more than one console.  Although you don't hear people calling games from different generations that are later ported over to a system a multiconsole release?  They're called ports.  A multiconsole release is a release that's comes out at the same time or they were developed together so it's a close proximity of time.   Even though being released later, games like Titanfall for the 360 and Watch Dogs for the Wii U are multiconsole rather than ports because they were being developed for release along with the other versions.

The technical term of a port is a game that's developed after the it was already developed for a lead console.  Many multiconsole releases are ports, developed for one console first and ported over to the other.  However the word port is commonly used for a game that is ported from one console to another after the game has already been developed and released.

kupomogli said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Ports are multiconsole titles, but don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about and spin the sentence because I'm not using the technical terms.

The technical term of multiconsole is a game that's on more than one console.  Although you don't hear people calling games from different generations that are later ported over to a system a multiconsole release?  They're called ports.  A multiconsole release is a release that's comes out at the same time or they were developed together so it's a close proximity of time.   Even though being released later, games like Titanfall for the 360 and Watch Dogs for the Wii U are multiconsole rather than ports because they were being developed for release along with the other versions.

The technical term of a port is a game that's developed after the it was already developed for a lead console.  Many multiconsole releases are ports, developed for one console first and ported over to the other.  However the word port is commonly used for a game that is ported from one console to another after the game has already been developed and released.

/thread

Mr Puggsly said:
RenCutypoison said:

I remember when blue dragon and Kameo were going to be GOTG.

Now i would be shocked if anyone remembers them.

I remember when Resistance was the Halo killer...

I'll never understand why people think random comments on the web is some sort of consensus.

A game that faded into obscurity can still be a great game by the way. But you obviously cherry picked games that weren't great.

Well, this was using absurd/exxageration of course. Still, calling GOTG first year (or second for wii U) kinda piss me off.

Even if you're a big fan of the game, how could someone wish to not have at least one better game the whole generation ? It doesn't make sense.

Menwhile FFXIV ARR is probably GOTG for someone, 2.0 was welcomed by MMO players.