By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Titanfall Considered a Big Exclusive for XB1 but FFXIV not for PS4?

Indeed it is welcomed by MMO gamers.
proof of truth. http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2013-awards/

If FFXIV was hyped up similarly like Titanfall, it would be a hype to believe. I remember the launch of 2.0. Square Enix servers couldn't handle the amount of players trying to log in. It was like 100k per sec.. Just imagine what would happened if FFXIV was hyped up like Titanfall.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
kupomogli said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

it would be /thread except for the fact. multiconsole and port are semantically the same thing, not to mention FFXIV is down ported from GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE and has near-visual parity with it, while Titan Fall doesn't hit 1080, (developed on "Modified" Source Engine so its likely it started development on the 360) was upported to PC, hence the obvious lack of optimization, would cost full price if not given away for free, and cost a live subscription anyway.

Ports are multiconsole titles, but don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about and spin the sentence because I'm not using the technical terms.

The technical term of multiconsole is a game that's on more than one console.  Although you don't hear people calling games from different generations that are later ported over to a system a multiconsole release?  They're called ports.  A multiconsole release is a release that's comes out at the same time or they were developed together so it's a close proximity of time.   Even though being released later, games like Titanfall for the 360 and Watch Dogs for the Wii U are multiconsole rather than ports because they were being developed for release along with the other versions.

The technical term of a port is a game that's developed after the it was already developed for a lead console.  Many multiconsole releases are ports, developed for one console first and ported over to the other.  However the word port is commonly used for a game that is ported from one console to another after the game has already been developed and released.

T_T I just woke up from being sick so pardon my lack of usual patience and understanding but...multiconsole is not a technical term, you literally just made it up to fit the circumstances. What you are looking for is multi-platform. 360 Titan Fall and Watch_dogs are ports, down ports because they come from a higher generation of console. However, since most games are developed on PC and developed on consoles, most games are generally down ports.

For example, Crysis 3 is a down port on consoles. 

Because Titan Fall was finalized on the XB1 and ported to PC, it was upported, hence the lack of opptimization, not to mention the deliberate attempts to stymie the pc release such as uncompressed audio files.

So once again I reiterate, the only differences between Titan Fall and FFXIV are genre, scale, and marketting.

None of this useless port buisness, they are both multi-platform. They have the same Metacritic, etc...

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

MMO's on consoles don't exactly create the hype people think they do. It can be successful, but it's not something people really go crazy over in my opinion. Plus, FFXIV has been out a long time on the PC alone. It's essentially port vs brand new game. Yeah, TF mirrors it in terms of platform availability, but it isn't four years old either.

T.Rexington said:
MMO's on consoles don't exactly create the hype people think they do. It can be successful, but it's not something people really go crazy over in my opinion. Plus, FFXIV has been out a long time on the PC alone. It's essentially port vs brand new game. Yeah, TF mirrors it in terms of platform availability, but it isn't four years old either.

</thread>

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mr Puggsly said:
Zekkyou said:

It may lose many FF fans, but it also gains MMO fans. They are perhaps the most dedicated group of gamers you will find anywhere :P

The thread isn't asking why FF14 isn't as hyped up, but why is it not considered as big an exclusive. To that i'd say that while the overall effect of TF and FF14 will be equally large, TF's is immediate but short lived while FF14's is slow and long lasting (by comparison). 

The PS4 in general is going to benefit a lot from it's appeal to MMO gamers.

I feel the OP is asking why isn't FFXIV getting as much attention as Titanfall. The simple answer is probably the original launch turned people off and the subscription fee.

Also, the MMO genre is kinda niche on consoles.

my intent was not discuss mass hype as its pretty obvious. MS marketed the heck out of TF and released 1st on the XB1 where FFXIV got on PS4 last with moderate advertising at best. I am was gearing it more for people to view it objectively and see through the hype. In regards to the entire library (which is what most people consider when buying a console) it adds more. TF is just another FPS game. FFXIV is what I think is possibly the 1st MMO of any kind to work with great results on a console. FPS only fans are probably leaning towards an XB1 anyways because of Halo>greater than any exclusive FPS on PS. Its the people, like me honestly, who like FPS games but also love and enjoy other genres particulary RPG games.

Its about diversity. TF adds none. FFXIV adds alot. If TES Online is any good on a console (skeptical but FFXIV has shown me it can be done) than the XB1 will have at least one viable option for MMO/RPG fans.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
T.Rexington said:

ARR came out late last summer it is not the same game that came out 4 years ago. And to your 1st point, do you think it is possible that the reason no one gets hyped for a console MMO is because they traditionally sucked? FFXIV could be a watershed game for the Genre as it relates to consoles. Remember in a time before Goldeneye no one got hyped for FPS games on a console? You know why? Because before that they were just not that good.

FFXIV is the most inovative game currently availible on an eight gen console. Not because it adds much new to the MMO genre, well except it is playable on a console... i guess that is kind of a big deal.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Zekkyou said:

It may lose many FF fans, but it also gains MMO fans. They are perhaps the most dedicated group of gamers you will find anywhere :P

The thread isn't asking why FF14 isn't as hyped up, but why is it not considered as big an exclusive. To that i'd say that while the overall effect of TF and FF14 will be equally large, TF's is immediate but short lived while FF14's is slow and long lasting (by comparison). 

The PS4 in general is going to benefit a lot from it's appeal to MMO gamers.

I feel the OP is asking why isn't FFXIV getting as much attention as Titanfall. The simple answer is probably the original launch turned people off and the subscription fee.

Also, the MMO genre is kinda niche on consoles.

my intent was not discuss mass hype as its pretty obvious. MS marketed the heck out of TF and released 1st on the XB1 where FFXIV got on PS4 last with moderate advertising at best. I am was gearing it more for people to view it objectively and see through the hype. In regards to the entire library (which is what most people consider when buying a console) it adds more. TF is just another FPS game. FFXIV is what I think is possibly the 1st MMO of any kind to work with great results on a console. FPS only fans are probably leaning towards an XB1 anyways because of Halo>greater than any exclusive FPS on PS. Its the people, like me honestly, who like FPS games but also love and enjoy other genres particulary RPG games.

Its about diversity. TF adds none. FFXIV adds alot. If TES Online is any good on a console (skeptical but FFXIV has shown me it can be done) than the XB1 will have at least one viable option for MMO/RPG fans.

FF XIV might be getting more attention then it deserves because of the FF IP. That's the sole reasons many people even try it. Hence, that isn't looking at the game objectively.

I disagree about Titanfall adding no diversity. I do believe it adds diverity given there isn't another shooter quite like it on consoles. It very different from Halo, Gears, Killzone, BF, CoD, etc. Titfanfall appeals to me for reasons beyond the point and shoot mechanics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I really don't understand people's complaints about the sub .-. For $60 you get the game and 3 months of play time. After that each $60 gets you about 5 months of constant play time. I'd like to see how many people play a new $60 for even a month, let alone 2, 3, 4 etc.

Saying that, FF14's 2 million players makes it pretty clear that those who actually play the game can see the value in it :P

Because people on the internet is ****** this days.

Was it considered a big exclusive or was it just considered a big game?