By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If This Keeps Up, Xbox One Has A Big PS4 Problem

Mystro-Sama said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mystro-Sama said:
I want the X1 to hurry and close the gap so we can have good competition.

A sales gap means there won't be good competition?

I think history has shown MS and Sony are at their best when trailing behind and/or worried about the competition.

Nope, large sales gaps lead to decisions like the PS3 and X1 launches.

Wow, that response was pulled from the deepest depths of an ass.

You are smarter than this. Bad decisions at launch doesn't kill competition. Sony did plenty for PS3 to make it a strong competitor. There is still plenty MS can do to remain a strong competitor.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I think history has shown MS and Sony are at their best when trailing behind and/or worried about the competition.

I disagree, I think history has shown that learning from past mistakes is more important then hustling to get ahead.

PS2 got the jump on the competiton, was the most powerful when it released and featured dvd playback an improvment over the paltry media capabilities of the previous system. Nintendo learned from Gamecube that third party success was less important then growing the market place so they tailored their machine to ensure that they could make the games they wanted and gambled on motion controls attempting to make them accessible to everyone and thus attract the casuals. MS learned the importance of being first and of lowering entry price so they peripheralized a lot of their hardware and released a year earlier then the competiton, they also took a page from the ps2's playbook and got the multiplat support it used to get to the top. The PS3 was following the ken kutaragi mindset of make the most powerful console with the most exotic architecture and force developers to focus on Sony. All of that backfired however, and Sony was forced to fund to focus on exclusives. As the market leader, they didn't learn that much because the ken kutaragi model worked for the ps2.

The PS4, XB1, and Wii U are all culminations of everything these companies have learned up to this point.

If anything, the massive debt that Sony has accumulated puts them in a worse position then Microsoft. Clearly, the layoffs and restructing that has been going on since last gen has shown they are serious.

Its naive to think that Sony isn't worried about the competition as they are still feeling the effects of last gen, I doubt they would forget because of a measely 2.8 mil gap.

You say you disagree... but it seems like we agree.

The PS3 had significant price cuts to compete with the Xbox 360. Sony basically did everything right with the PS4 launch because of competition.

With that said, its apparent MS feels the need to be more competitive and we're seeing that through bundled AAA games and I predict price cuts.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I disagree, I think history has shown that learning from past mistakes is more important then hustling to get ahead.

PS2 got the jump on the competiton, was the most powerful when it released and featured dvd playback an improvment over the paltry media capabilities of the previous system. Nintendo learned from Gamecube that third party success was less important then growing the market place so they tailored their machine to ensure that they could make the games they wanted and gambled on motion controls attempting to make them accessible to everyone and thus attract the casuals. MS learned the importance of being first and of lowering entry price so they peripheralized a lot of their hardware and released a year earlier then the competiton, they also took a page from the ps2's playbook and got the multiplat support it used to get to the top. The PS3 was following the ken kutaragi mindset of make the most powerful console with the most exotic architecture and force developers to focus on Sony. All of that backfired however, and Sony was forced to fund to focus on exclusives. As the market leader, they didn't learn that much because the ken kutaragi model worked for the ps2.

The PS4, XB1, and Wii U are all culminations of everything these companies have learned up to this point.

If anything, the massive debt that Sony has accumulated puts them in a worse position then Microsoft. Clearly, the layoffs and restructing that has been going on since last gen has shown they are serious.

Its naive to think that Sony isn't worried about the competition as they are still feeling the effects of last gen, I doubt they would forget because of a measely 2.8 mil gap.

You say you disagree... but it seems like we agree.

The PS3 had significant price cuts to compete with the Xbox 360. Sony basically did everything right with the PS4 launch because of competition.

With that said, its apparent MS feels the need to be more competitive and we're seeing that through bundled AAA games and I predict price cuts.

In truth, I claim that history is more relevant to success then current circumstances, so its not neccessarily directly contradictory. However, price parity is not enough. What MS is doing now with the 360 was a step in the right direction, but at the same time its kind of late cause they are encouraging the next gen transition. A price cut is not enough imo, they need to increase the value of owning and xbox one not of buying it. A PS4 with a year of plus gets free games every month for every single playstation console its on. It might not be free to own but not only are the games relatively young, but they encourage you to continue to buy into the system. That's what XB1 needs. Price Cut alone didn't help the PS4. it just helped with the entry cost, word of mouth sold the PS4 because of its variety of features and perks of ownership. That has pretty much transfered with the PS4. Games with Gold on the other hand is 360 only if I can recall, which would be more price effective and better for consumers than a measely 100-150 usd price cut.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mr Puggsly said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Nope, large sales gaps lead to decisions like the PS3 and X1 launches.

Wow, that response was pulled from the deepest depths of an ass.

You are smarter than this. Bad decisions at launch doesn't kill competition. Sony did plenty for PS3 to make it a strong competitor. There is still plenty MS can do to remain a strong competitor.

Wtf? I'm talking about the over confidence that comes with leading a generation. >.>

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

In truth, I claim that history is more relevant to success then current circumstances, so its not neccessarily directly contradictory. However, price parity is not enough. What MS is doing now with the 360 was a step in the right direction, but at the same time its kind of late cause they are encouraging the next gen transition. A price cut is not enough imo, they need to increase the value of owning and xbox one not of buying it. A PS4 with a year of plus gets free games every month for every single playstation console its on. It might not be free to own but not only are the games relatively young, but they encourage you to continue to buy into the system. That's what XB1 needs. Price Cut alone didn't help the PS4. it just helped with the entry cost, word of mouth sold the PS4 because of its variety of features and perks of ownership. That has pretty much transfered with the PS4. Games with Gold on the other hand is 360 only if I can recall, which would be more price effective and better for consumers than a measely 100-150 usd price cut.

You're rambling...

There is plenty that can be done to compete. Like I said, we agree.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

You're rambling...

Cut me some slack I'm half asleep.

The short of it is I agree, but I think learning from mistakes is more relevant then simply being the underdoge.

As for a price cut for parity, I don't think that's enough. Price cut only helps in the Value of Purchase, while Value of Ownership is what will give the console more momentum.

E.G Wii U suffered because the gaemz took to long and while it might have been cheep (High value of purchase), there wasn't much to do (Low Value of Ownership) and it was subject to resales which subsequently ruined its image and gave it negative word of mouth.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're rambling...

Cut me some slack I'm half asleep.

The short of it is I agree, but I think learning from mistakes is more relevant then simply being the underdoge.

As for a price cut for parity, I don't think that's enough. Price cut only helps in the Value of Purchase, while Value of Ownership is what will give the console more momentum.

E.G Wii U suffered because the gaemz took to long and while it might have been cheep (High value of purchase), there wasn't much to do (Low Value of Ownership) and it was subject to resales which subsequently ruined its image and gave it negative word of mouth.

MS learned from some of their mistakes even before launch. Wii U is real the underdog this gen. If MS plays their cards right they should be able to achieve Xbox 360 numbers.

Of course price cuts alone aren't enough. The combination of price cuts and noteworthy games will bring people to the X1. C'mon man, common sense.

I think Wii U is suffering from Nintendo confusing its audience, casuals moved away from consoles, and weak 3rd party support. I get the impression its the machine people buy for Mario games.

Recently Completed

[NEG]kiliandj said:
Something allot of people keep forgetting thouge is that ALLOT of country's dont have the xb1 yet.
But i highly doubt that that wil get the xb1 in the lead since microseft has said that it wont launch until this holiday season.
And by that time, allot of people who want a 8th gen console wil already have a ps4.

Everyone that brings up this whole "well its sold in more markets" thing likes to conveniently forget that comparing sales in just the markets BOTH are available in, still means heavily towards the PS4.

Most are the same people who insisted that people pointing out the year headstart the 360 had over the ps3 was 'irrelevant' too.

Funny how that works.

It's about time to stop comparing X1 to PS3. It's wishful thinking to hope that X1 can pull the PS3 sized turnaround after a slow launch.
By 2006/07, Playstation was a worldwide recognized brand, a name known not only to gamers but to the general population. Heck, in many parts of the world name Playstation has become a generic title for any gaming console (from a casual bystander's perspective).
People were willing and happy to wait another year for PS3 to launch, and for the next 7-8 years to pay a higher priced console.

XBox brand is virtually non-existent outside NA/UK, and only people with interest in gaming have heard of it in other markets.
60 markets in which X1 has not yet released, and PS4 has, are likely to have sales figures comparable to those of PS3/X360 sales in Japan.

XOne's boat has already sunk in all markets except its main 2. It is there that they need to put up a fight, but regardless of their success ir failure there, the effect will not carry over to third countries. They have been defeated there even before the launch.

I think the X1 will be fine. However, it kinda depends on the games though. Without new and successful ips there simply is no reason to buy a X1.

Right now we still see people buying it because of brand loyalty but it's just a matter of time before even the most loyal Xbox fans realize that it isn't the home for the best multiplatform games anymore. And without exclusives there just won't be any incentive for anyone to actually buy a X1, especially if it's more expensive.

But then again, if MS can announce a ton of cool exclusives at E3, everything should be ok. Question is if they can manage that. This will no doubt be the most important E3 for MS ever as they will really need to beat Sony and get the gamers talking about them after the event. This will be tough because we all know Sony will be bringing the heat at E3 as well.