By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I never played a Zelda game in my life.

What do ?

Kill yourself. 112 31.37%

Buy a N64. 32 8.96%

Buy a Gamecube. 11 3.08%

Buy a Wii. 28 7.84%

Buy a WiiU. 125 35.01%

Zelda is bad, don't play it. 48 13.45%

Total:356

I would start with the original, of course. Other good entry points are OoT and A Link to the Past. I recently picked up WWHD and I couldn't help but think it would be a good starter game as well.

Around the Network

If you are going for the top down games, start with A Link to the Past. It is an amazing game and it should be played before A Link Between Worlds.

If you are going for the 3D games, you can really start anywhere. They are all great jumping in points and they are all great games.

I say go back and play the older handheld titles after you play a few other Zelda games

EDIT: I will add that the Wii and Wii U are the only places you can play every console zelda, but Wii U has Wind Waker HD (as opposed to the original GC game) and will be able to play the upcoming Zelda games....
I'm not 100% sure about Europe but you should be able to play all the games either on the Wii U VC or the Wii VC (which the Wii U can use)

I love Zelda, but I've never actually beaten a Zelda game GASP! I probably love skyward sword the most. I just couldn't get anywhere in Twilight Princess for some reason, even though I did like that game a lot. I do plan to someday beat these games...

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Well, then it's settled. I'll buy a WiiU. Hopefully, the releases of Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X and SSB will resurrect it, because it's still a great console.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

If you want to play Majora's Mask, make sure you play Ocarina of Time first. The story will make more sense that way. Other than that the stories are self-contained. I'd also play A Link to the Past before A Link Between Worlds if you're planning to get a 3DS or already have one, it's really cool to experience how that world changed in some hundred years.

But yeah, other than that, start with the game you feel you'd like to play the most right now.

And yeah, get a Wii U. 

Yep.

Around the Network

Play Ocarina of Time 3D. Thats about as good a place as any to start the series. If not that, then A Link To the Past should be on the 3DS eshop by now. It'd be a much smaller investment, but the game is still a masterpiece.

spemanig said:
You have a 3DS. First play A Link Between Worlds, then Ocarina of Time 3D. If you decide to get a Wii U instead, Wind Waker is the greatest Zelda ever created, and everything else will feel like a let down after that.

This man speaks the truth.

I haven't played a Zelda game for more than 20 minutes by myself. The furthest I got was the water temple in OOT but that was mainly watching my friend do it for me while I watched because I didn't understand where to go...

Zelda & Metroid are so highly rated by the Nintendo fan base but I don't care for either of them.

The Wind Waker did come bundled with my Wii U but I haven't touched it yet...should I actually try to play it?

Clyde32 said:
t3mporary_126 said:
Twilight Princess may be the best one because Ocarina of Time didn't age that way. I started off with Windwaker, A Link to the Past and Phantom Hourglass before Ocarina of Time on Wii's VC. The graphics are more polygonal than Super Mario 64, and Link swings his sword too damn slow compared to other 3D zeldas. It was interesting to beat it and i could see how it was good back in its day but man does the original game age horribly.

Twilight Princess is a more modern version of Ocarina of Time with much better combat gameplay. And the bosses, although incredibly easy, truly feel epic because the game looks the most realistic in the Zelda franchise. The boss are freaking huge too. This game isnt in HD, though, but if you get a Wii U, you could play in 480 P. if not, play this on your old sd tv to avoid stretching and jaggies.

*ahem* I've already made the argument for Ocarina of Time before, don't make me do it again. Twilight Princess lacked the replay value that OoT and LttP had. 

For me, replayability comes to how much do I want to erase my save file and play over the story again because of how awesome the experience was. For twilight Princess, I do this every summer when I don't have to worry about school. I will admit Hyrule field is pretty empty. But the game at least has a lot of collectibles like Poe souls and bugs and way more heart containers. You can also try to find find all the hidden skills but you can find all of them before beating the final boss.

When did you first play Ocarina of Time? At the 90s and before other 3D Zeldas? Because there is no doubt Ocarina of Time's polygonal graphics and slow frame rate has aged horribly for today's standard. The dungeon and the bosses are great. But if you can't get past the game's graphic and slow sword game play, you'll be hard pressed to finish the game unless you're a big Zelda fan.

badgenome said:
Play A Link to the Past.

Then stop.

It worked for me.

Do you feel proud of that atrocity? Not playing OoT? TP?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile