By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I never played a Zelda game in my life.

What do ?

Kill yourself. 112 31.37%

Buy a N64. 32 8.96%

Buy a Gamecube. 11 3.08%

Buy a Wii. 28 7.84%

Buy a WiiU. 125 35.01%

Zelda is bad, don't play it. 48 13.45%

Total:356
artur-fernand said:
I'm 100% confident that A Link to the Past is the absolute best point of start for the series.
And I wouldn't begin with Ocarina of Time. I've beaten it recently and it's not the "best game ever", by a long shot. I'm yet to find someone who played it in recent times and agrees that it's GOAT material - only people who played at the time seem to think that.

a link to the past is such a bad zelda game...  thank bob that they went away from that formula...

Around the Network
Nem said:

Ok... i am gonna assume you have a bit of an alergy towards playing very old games nowadays, like most of us do (even though some us lived that time, its mostly nostalgia that keeps us with these games, but nowadays its easy to spot flaws).

So, here is what i recommend:

Do you have a 3DS? If yes, get Ocarina of Time 3D and A link between worlds.

Do you have a Wii U? If yes you can get the Wind Waker HD and if you dont mind the graphics, Twilight princess and Skyward sword (Wii backwards compatible). You might need a wii mote bought separatly.

The ones i recommend the most are the 2 3DS ones and the Wind waker HD on Wii U. The next zelda is coming out for it aswell and we are expecting it to be sweet.

Forget the others... while they are good for their respective times, chances are they will bore you and you wont finish them. Focus on the modern cream of the crop i recommended.

I absolutely don't. I actually love old school games, especially the 2D graphics. I think it's way more beautiful than photorealistic 3D.

Since I'm too young to have played anything that came out back then, I missed quite a lot of games...

I don't own a WiiU or a Wii, but I do have a 3DS though. Is A Link Bewteen World THAT good ? 

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

vivster said:
badgenome said:
Play A Link to the Past.

Then stop.

It worked for me.

This

Yep.

Dadrik said:

I absolutely don't. I actually love old school games, especially the 2D graphics. I think it's way more beautiful than photorealistic 3D.

Since I'm too young to have played anything that came out back then, I missed quite a lot of games...

I don't own a WiiU or a Wii, but I do have a 3DS though. Is A Link Bewteen World THAT good ? 

Its better than Phantom houglass, thats for sure. But yeah the game is pretty sweet. You can see the videos online to see what it looks like. If you want to know what it plays like, get a link to the past on an emulator and its an EX version of that.

I still strongly recommend Ocarina of Time and Wind waker though. Those are my favorite ones and the only ones i managed to finish (aka didnt get too bored to drop them). To be completely honest, i have a link between worlds and i gave it a little try and it was pretty good, but it belongs to someone else in the household so i have been steering away and focusing on other games. Once my backcatalog is a bit more manageable i will go back to the 3DS and play that + FE:Awakening wich i still havent beaten.

You played Phantom Hourglass? No wonder you never touched another one again...

Around the Network

Twilight Princess may be the best one because Ocarina of Time didn't age that way. I started off with Windwaker, A Link to the Past and Phantom Hourglass before Ocarina of Time on Wii's VC. The graphics are more polygonal than Super Mario 64, and Link swings his sword too damn slow compared to other 3D zeldas. It was interesting to beat it and i could see how it was good back in its day but man does the original game age horribly.

Twilight Princess is a more modern version of Ocarina of Time with much better combat gameplay. And the bosses, although incredibly easy, truly feel epic because the game looks the most realistic in the Zelda franchise. The boss are freaking huge too. This game isnt in HD, though, but if you get a Wii U, you could play in 480 P. if not, play this on your old sd tv to avoid stretching and jaggies.

t3mporary_126 said:
Twilight Princess may be the best one because Ocarina of Time didn't age that way. I started off with Windwaker, A Link to the Past and Phantom Hourglass before Ocarina of Time on Wii's VC. The graphics are more polygonal than Super Mario 64, and Link swings his sword too damn slow compared to other 3D zeldas. It was interesting to beat it and i could see how it was good back in its day but man does the original game age horribly.

Twilight Princess is a more modern version of Ocarina of Time with much better combat gameplay. And the bosses, although incredibly easy, truly feel epic because the game looks the most realistic in the Zelda franchise. The boss are freaking huge too. This game isnt in HD, though, but if you get a Wii U, you could play in 480 P. if not, play this on your old sd tv to avoid stretching and jaggies.

*ahem* I've already made the argument for Ocarina of Time before, don't make me do it again. Twilight Princess lacked the replay value that OoT and LttP had. 

t3mporary_126 said:

u can play 480p on the wii... u just have to buy a dirt cheap cable...

A link to the past and Ocarina of time are good to start with the franchise. And even though I didn't like it, Skyward Sword too.

Good for you for wanting to catch up on what I consider the very best video game series.

If you have the means to buy WiiU I would suggest that. From there you can purchase Zelda III, A Link to the Past, on Virtual Console. A Link to the Past is one of the two best Zelda games, but, more importantly, it established many of the items, enemies, tropes, and trappings that define the series today. It's a perfect entree to the franchise.

From there, either wait for Ocarina of Time on Virtual Console or buy the 3DS remaster. Ocarina is, arguably, the best in the series and the best game ever made. The majority of the remaining games are available, in one form or another, on 3DS or WiiU, either by remake, Virtual Console, or backward compatibility.