By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 x X1 graphical difference dissapear?

DonFerrari said:

According to Oddworld Creator yes.

http://n4g.com/news/clickout/1482976

Not sure if the hoster edited the quotes or context. But what I believe is that he is saying that regarding indies won't see a gap (he even mention their game being a lot lighter than Bf4) but regarding big budget AAA I beg to disagree.

Funny that now that Dx12 is announced and new sdk was released he says that a lot of devs complained about X1 lack of power but at the time this kind of comment were always anonymous, while public speech was that both consoles were almost equal.

Seems like this is just the same, publicaly devs will say consoles are about equal but in 6 months they will say there was a difference but now it will be solved ad infinitum.

So do you think the gap will dissapear or it was a comment related to his entrance to ID@Xbox?

I think you know what hardware is.   You should know the answer.

Can 2 apples be more than 3 apples ?    The Gap will probably increase in both Exclusive and multiplatform games compared to now once Devs will seriously take advatage of PS4 extra power.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:

Can 2 apples be more than 3 apples ?    The Gap will probably increase in both Exclusive and multiplatform games compared to now once Devs will seriously take advatage of PS4 extra power.

A better analogy would be 1 apple and 1 rasberry vs 2 - 2.5 apples.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Nate4Drake said:
DonFerrari said:

According to Oddworld Creator yes.

http://n4g.com/news/clickout/1482976

Not sure if the hoster edited the quotes or context. But what I believe is that he is saying that regarding indies won't see a gap (he even mention their game being a lot lighter than Bf4) but regarding big budget AAA I beg to disagree.

Funny that now that Dx12 is announced and new sdk was released he says that a lot of devs complained about X1 lack of power but at the time this kind of comment were always anonymous, while public speech was that both consoles were almost equal.

Seems like this is just the same, publicaly devs will say consoles are about equal but in 6 months they will say there was a difference but now it will be solved ad infinitum.

So do you think the gap will dissapear or it was a comment related to his entrance to ID@Xbox?

The new SDK is like slicing both apples in half and they will all regenerate, making it 4 apples, at least that is how I read their propositions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pshuh MR.X said the XO will gain 1 TF a year

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So another pointless thread on this subject?
The fact of the matter is that there is a big hardware difference between the GPU'S and the RAM. This can't be mitigated by optimisation or by fairy dust. It will remain because of the silicon used in the machines! There is no secret sauce or DX12 magic to change this!
The End

Around the Network

If MS can improve performance, so can Sony, so no.

DonFerrari said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Not even 3rd party this gen. It will be like last gen. In some ways. Everytime a360 game looked better than a PS3 game the next PS3 game would blow that one out the water. And PS3 had the last laugh in sales and graphics lol.

You mean that everytime a 3rd party release a great game that is better on Ps4 sony 1st party will release an even better one? Make sense.

yep. glad u agree. 

The comparison between xbox one and ps4 is fairly easy. It's like building two PC's based around the same cpu but one you fit a good mid range graphics card with high speed memory and the other you go with a basic entry level graphics card and use slow cheap memory. Once setup playing the same games you realise the weaker PC has terrible frame rates that don't match the better pc so you start dropping graphic detail and lower the resolution to improve the frame rate. The memory system still struggles though under load and you get severe frame rate drops. You have the choice with the better pc to either match the weaker pc in graphic detail and resolution and enjoy fantastic frame rates even under load or you can judge how much better you go in graphic detail and resolution before that PC also suffers from frame rate drops.

It's just the same with xbone and ps4. The issue developers have is setting the right balance. If they keep setting the ps4 resolution and detail too high then it could end up with a worse frame rate than xbone and in real terms be an inferior port to play. The extra performance of the PS4 doesn't guarantee a better game but realistically the ps4 is much better setup for the future. Fully optimised it can match good mid range PC's today, perhaps normal mid range pcs next year and entry level pc's in four years lets say. The xbone is perhaps already at normal mid range pc's and will be at entry level a year ahead of the ps4.

Xbone is destined to have the weakest versions of pc,ps4 and xbone multiformat games for this generation. You will be paying a comparable price to ps4 yet getting an inferior version. PC owners will have the lowest possible software price yet the potential for the best actual version of the game technically. However you look at it, the xbone represents very poor value at its current price and needs to be sub ps4 in pricing realistically.

The belief that somehow developers will make the extra effort to make xbone versions comparable to ps4 is not realistic especially as the ps4 is the leading format of this generation. Any game that is actually equal or inferior on ps4 compared to xbone is going to get a hugely negative reaction and a certain drop in sales because of it. It's possible Microsoft may have some influence to do this early on but I don't think it will continue. Microsoft is constantly pushing to downplay the technical differences for the very reason that there are technical differences.

What graphical difference?

Zero999 said:

What graphical difference?

That none of them can play 3D Mario in 1080p60fps.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."