By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making KH 1.5 and 2.5 HD as exclusives makes no sense

Uabit said:
The same happens with mass effect on Wii U. ME3 on Wii U had poor sales because people won't buy third one with the trilogy releasing a week before for every other platform except wii u... Hope that happens the same with kingdom hearts and they learn something

fixed.

Around the Network

I knew this was gonna be a zero999 thread :)

not that I dissagree with you(as I agreed with you KH III should be on the Wii U thread)
but it's probably that Sony payed for this to some extent, when 1.5 was announced it was during the whole "PS2 remastered" craze that swpet the PS3 in it's laters years, and also all the "playable" games were sony exclusives(I know chain of memeories came out on the gba but it was a complete remake when it came to the PS2) 358/2 days and now Re:coded can only be watched not played.

arcane_chaos said:
I knew this was gonna be a zero999 thread :)

not that I dissagree with you(as I agreed with you KH III should be on the Wii U thread)
but it's probably that Sony payed for this to some extent, when 1.5 was announced it was during the whole "PS2 remastered" craze that swpet the PS3 in it's laters years, and also all the "playable" games were sony exclusives(I know chain of memeories came out on the gba but it was a complete remake when it came to the PS2) 358/2 days and now Re:coded can only be watched not played.

paying for exclusivity or not, it's terrible to release HD collections and don't let a wide audience play it. it's the gamers loss all over the place.

Zero999 said:
ps3-sales! said:
You actually think Square would choose to only release on one platform? You have much to learn my friend.

I didn't suggest anything about the reason. I'm merely pointing that it's not a good move.

Um, ok. 

Well like everything in a business; there is always a reason. You can't put this into a vacuem and say "oh it's a bad move they should change it blah blah" without a reason as to why it happened in the first place. 

If all game developers/publishers wanted to they would put their game on as many platforms as possible. Reason??? To make the most money. 

Sony obviously wanted to keep KH assosiated with Playstation. Hence the exclusivity. 

You're welcome :)

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

CleggaZ said:

Damn I was hoping I wasn't going to have to go down this road. If we keep using this logic there’s a bigger fanbase on x system for x genre the industry would end up like this:

Sega: so it looks like platformers sell the most on Nintendo systems therefore theirs no reason to ever release another sonic game on a non-Nintendo system.

Activision: so it looks like Shooters sell the most on Microsoft systems therefore there’s know reason to ever release another call of duty on a non-Microsoft system.

Square Enix: so it looks like JRPG's sell the most on Sony systems therefore there’s know reason to ever release another Final Fantasy on a non-Sony system.

So if this where to happen we would then end up with genre exclusive company’s as far as 3'rd parties are concerned which would then mean if one of the manufactures left the industry we would by in large loose an entire gaming genre since the fan bases of the other systems would never had played the 3rd party franchises in that genre.

Umm...no. It's not a matter of "x platform sells more of this genre than y platform, so we won't release it on y platform". It's "x platform sells a lot of this genre and y platform doesn't sell well, period".

Platformers sell well on Nintendo and Sony, not so much Microsoft. So you don't see as many platformers on MS platforms. Shooters sell well on Sony and Microsoft, not so much Nintendo. So you don't see as many on Nintendo's platorms. JRPGS sell well on Sony and Nintendo, not so much MS. So you don't see as many on MS platforms.

There's a difference between a genre selling high on one platform and lower on another, but the lower selling platform still has good numbers; and a genre selling really well on one platform and not that great on another. Activision isn't gonna not put CoD on PS and miss out on 15M sales, just because MS has 16-17M sales. Square Enix could probably look over the  0.15M sales of Lightning Returns on X360 since that probably brought them no money

Around the Network

Just to make a comparison because some in this thread say it shouldn't be on 360 because Final Fantasy sells much more on PS3. First of all just because a game sells more on one platform doesn't mean it shouldn't be on another platform. With that logic most games would be only on one platform except for those with gigantic sales even on the second best platform.

It's like saying Borderlands 2 should have never released on PS3 because Borderlands 1 sold better on 360.

But more important is the fact that KH 1 and 2 sold each more in North America as in all other countries of this planet together. This clearly shows that North America is the most important market for this franchise and because of very high 360 sales there it probably also means that many former PS2 players moved to 360 in this market. So, comparing a franchise which generates many sales in Europe and Japan (FF) where PS3 sold also much more as 360 to a franchise generating most sales in North America (KH) where 360 sold most isn't really how you should do it.

The percentual gap between Finfal Fantasy on PS3 and 360 should be much higher as it would probably be with KH on PS3 and 360 if you take the logical factors in account. And yeah, they release KH3 on Xbox One so that should  be an extra reason to release the rest on 360.

Most of the real fans will own a PS console. At least that's what SE is thinking here. The X1 release for KH3 is probably happening because SE thought it would dominate in NA. It's just a token move for those that choose to go with X1. The majority of the fanbase will get it on PS4.

ps3-sales! said:

Um, ok. 

Well like everything in a business; there is always a reason. You can't put this into a vacuem and say "oh it's a bad move they should change it blah blah" without a reason as to why it happened in the first place. 

If all game developers/publishers wanted to they would put their game on as many platforms as possible. Reason??? To make the most money. 

Sony obviously wanted to keep KH assosiated with Playstation. Hence the exclusivity. 

You're welcome :)

And this move hurts gamers.

crissindahouse said:

Just to make a comparison because some in this thread say it shouldn't be on 360 because Final Fantasy sells much more on PS3. First of all just because a game sells more on one platform doesn't mean it shouldn't be on another platform. With that logic most games would be only on one platform except for those with gigantic sales even on the second best platform.

It's like saying Borderlands 2 should have never released on PS3 because Borderlands 1 sold better on 360.

But more important is the fact that KH 1 and 2 sold each more in North America as in all other countries of this planet together. This clearly shows that North America is the most important market for this franchise and because of very high 360 sales there it probably also means that many former PS2 players moved to 360 in this market. So, comparing a franchise which generates many sales in Europe and Japan (FF) where PS3 sold also much more as 360 to a franchise generating most sales in North America (KH) where 360 sold most isn't really how you should do it.

The percentual gap between Finfal Fantasy on PS3 and 360 should be much higher as it would probably be with KH on PS3 and 360 if you take the logical factors in account. And yeah, they release KH3 on Xbox One so that should  be an extra reason to release the rest on 360.

So what you're saying is, the WiiU should get Arkham Asylum and Akham City ports, as well as all AC games prior to Black Flag, because it got Akham Origins and Black Flag, and those are story driven games (as opposed to requesting Titanfall 1 on PS4 since TF2 is bound to come to PS4, but that's just a multiplayer shooter).

I mean, they did just make the Heritage Collection for AC with no WiiU version in sight. It does "make sense", right? But you accept that it's not gonna happen and get over it. Should X360 get MGS4 since Phantom Pain is coming to XBone? It "makes sense", but you're not saying anything about it. What I'm getting at is that there's all kinds of moves in the gaming industry that would "make sense" on paper, but you and I both know it's deeper than what's on the surface. So why bring this up for remasters? For JRPGs on Xbox? I mean, KH1.5 sold 1.17M. Going by the trend of multiplatform SE games between PS3 and X360, the 360 versions sells anywhere from 1/3 to under 1/2 the PS version sells. Story wise for gamers, does it make sense to put the games on 360? Maybe. But is it smart to put a whole dev team on a project for a paltry return (maybe 300k)? No

The mainline games have always been on Playstation. So that's where the audiences are for those games. What's hard to understand?

If you want to play those games go buy a PS3. Subsequently, if you want the full Kingdom Hearts experience you'll want a Playstation. Port begging isn't going to get you anywhere.