By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Facebook buys Oculus Rift for $2 billion

Barozi said:
makes PS4's version suddenly much more attractive

^this.

Just as I explained in the thread I created a few days ago, Project Morpheus was already more attractive than Oculus Rift.

Because at pretty much equal price and technical capabilities, Morpheus will be able to be used with both the PS4 and the PC, while Oculus Rift will only work with PCs.

Furthermore, Morpheus currently already has the better designed and more ergonomic prototype.

And now, Oculus is even being bought by Facebook, which will turn off quite a few people and make them look for alternatives.

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:
Barozi said:
makes PS4's version suddenly much more attractive

^this.

Just as I explained in the thread I created a few days ago, Project Morpheus was already more attractive than Oculus Rift.

Because at pretty much equal price and technical capabilities, Morpheus will be able to be used with both the PS4 and the PC, while Oculus Rift will only work with PCs.

Furthermore, Morpheus currently already has the better designed and more ergonomic prototype.

And now, Oculus is even being bought by Facebook, which will turn off quite a few people and make them look for alternatives.

Pretty sure Facebook will invest a ton of money in making a new look for the device, as a large portion of Facebook's demographic (if not the main one) are fashion concious women. And they have a ton of capital to do so (moreso than Sony). 

Honestly though I think this is much bigger than just an accessory for a video game console, VR is probably a new paradigm of entertainment/functionality of its own, far bigger than just playing video games on it. 

If I had to write a list of "things that will happen", I would put this news below Microsoft acquiring Sony (or indeed Oculus Rift itself, that would've made sense) and me ever finishing Dark Souls ( )

In other words, this news surprises me. A lot. But let's see where this goes. Might be a surprising move, but so long as it isn't cannibalised it's not the end of the world.

Regardless of all that however, I have to question the valuation of the company. There's no way they'll get anywhere close to that back. FB has been splashing the cash a fair bit - too much - recently, and this is another example of over excitement and hence overevaluation of a product. I do hope the OR does well, I'm sure it will, but not well enough to be worth that much...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I highly doubt VR is going to go mainstream by virtue of facebook acquiring Oculus Rift. You guys are to blinded by the hype to recognize that the mainstream consumer doesn't like putting gadget on their head, especially when they can't see or hear anything around them. While that will definetly change, AR will have to become mainstream first, and even that is still in the testing phases.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

/thread

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I can't wait to be immersed in ads i can't look away from like never before

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Ozone48 said:

What an effing waste. Someone needs a poll on this. 

There is one, PC section

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Damn... I guess I should take VR seriously

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016