By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Facebook buys Oculus Rift for $2 billion

PenguinZ said:
Nem said:
I understand what Facebook wants (basically Playstation home VR), but what i dont understand is that i thought Occulus Rift was croud funded. Is it? Cause if it is i think the model just took a blunt force to the face.
Cant shake off the feeling that someone sold out to the highest bidder.

Hey crowd-funding helped make it into a  something worth 2 billion to someone, so I don't think the model took too big of a hit.

I'm sure the sellet didnt have any problems. The backers of their kickstarter might have though, and they might very well not fund anything else now. Its definitly a shocking precedent that is beeing built here.

Around the Network

Not really sure how i feel about this yet, waiting for more information to come out. I don't like how it was crowd funded and then bought out so quickly afterwards though.

JoeTheBro said:
Mark Zuckerberg's post here: https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

Sounds like this'll be great.

Lol @ "buy all the companies" comment/meme. So true. I have nothing against Mark or facebook, but this is becoming a joke, like Oprah giving cars to everyone.

Facebook bought it? For 2 billion?!

nice

NobleTeam360 said:
Wow Oculus is worth 2 billion? somehow I doubt that very much and think Facebook overpaid a lot of money for this.

how do you people not see how valuable it is? its a new type of market and its just going to be bigger and bigger, even if it fails you still have the assets and will just create it again, but VR will not fail, even 3D had it's market.

Around the Network

hmm i completly forgot oculus was crowd funded.. Thats a bit of a kick in the crotch to anyone who put in time and money. Some people got very rich from this deal, but those who invested on kickstarter get kinda shafted

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

It will probably end up like the Nintendo Virtual Boy or 3DTV unless you combine AR and VR into one small and lightweight device. Imagine a transparent Oculus Rift where the transparency AR mode can be turned on or off using some new technology. Or you could add a front camera to bring real life into VR.

Aw, it's so cute seeing Facebook trying desperately to stay relevant and not go the way of MySpace.

Good luck with your new owner, Oculus Rift. It's gonna be an interesting one.

That's far more than I would have imagined it was worth.

Still, this shows that it's more than just Sony who think VR is going to be an important future business. Very curious to see how this is implemented going forward. I'm not convinced the two devices will be competing directly in the same space though.

Wait, Wut, What, the, this HAZ to be a joke !

(looks up on Internet, other sources, oh my!)

I really hoped you were joking, but this seems to be real. Well, to bad a gaming company doesn't own a good chunk of Facebook. Well, lookie there, they do.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I hope it works out well for Riff and the consumer. It's like when Amazon started buying everything, you really see a change in the direction of the company.

I think this is a bigger change to Facebook than to Riff. Facebook is able to leverage the value of their stock and do all sorts of things. They might actually end up as big as people imagined.

I hope that this will give more support for the Riff. It could really help things along.

I wonder if they are looking at gaming companies too.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!