By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will SNES games ever come to the 3DS eShop?

Zero999 said:

I want the virtual console to be unified between Wii U and 3ds, with the exception of wii u getting gamecube titles. and the prices should range between 1,99 and 4,99 depending on the original systems: NES/gameboy = 1,99 or 2,99; SNES/GBA/Master system = 2,99 or 3,99; N64/DS = 3,99 or 4,99. gamecube titles could be between 4,99 and 6,99.

Judging from those price ranges, you don't think very highly of older systems!

Around the Network
Conina said:

And there is a nontrivial amount of work to get the games running? Depends totally on the system. The Wii U can handle every Wii game, so why not put every good Wii game in the eShop? The 3DS can handle every DS game, so why not put every good DS game in the eShop? For every other system, they have to make an emulator once which covers the whole software library... they could hire some talents from the homebrew communities for that and provide them insight in the detailed hardware and software specifications.

Anything up to SNES should be no problem for the 3DS, even N64-games could be possible... Sony managed PS1 emulation on the slower PSP.

What I am trying to tell you is it is not free for Nintendo to make these games available.  It takes manpower, time, and money.  It seems as though Nintendo has decided that their resources are better spent mostly elsewhere right now.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Nintendo does not want to make any money, this is why Iwata must go. Because there is no legal way to play SNES and GBA on 3DS, people are forced to use DS flashcards which can emulate those games.

And the eshop is so slow, outdated and ugly, shouldn't it be fun to spend money?

noname2200 said:
Zero999 said:

I want the virtual console to be unified between Wii U and 3ds, with the exception of wii u getting gamecube titles. and the prices should range between 1,99 and 4,99 depending on the original systems: NES/gameboy = 1,99 or 2,99; SNES/GBA/Master system = 2,99 or 3,99; N64/DS = 3,99 or 4,99. gamecube titles could be between 4,99 and 6,99.

Those are prices that reflect the current value of those games.

Zero999 said:

That's pretty low, seems like don't really want too much care in your classic games. Even Playstation classics aren't that low. 

Thinking Gameboy/Generic NES games=1.99, GBC/NES/Master System=2.99 SNES/GBA/Genesis=4.99-5.99 N64/DS= 5.99-7.99 Gamecube 9.99-11.99

would be the better pricing model

Zero999 said:
noname2200 said:

Those are prices that reflect the current value of those games.

Don't know what country you've been in but most of those are pretty expensive if you don't get them from the Wii Virtual Console. Unless they were extremely bad, most NES are $4-5 and are pretty used. 

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

What I am trying to tell you is it is not free for Nintendo to make these games available.  It takes manpower, time, and money.  It seems as though Nintendo has decided that their resources are better spent mostly elsewhere right now.

Well, they have the money... billions of dollars. The homebrew scene makes these emulators for free, a few million dollars and access to detailed hardware and software specs should speed up the process and enhance the emulation quality immensely.

It would take time, but they could have started these projects years ago, at least a year before the launch of the 3DS respectively the Wii U. And Wii-titles on Wii U or DS-titles on 3DS would take no time at all... they just have to put them on the eShop-servers and pricetag them.

It would take manpower, but that manpower does not have to take resources from other development teams. Nintendo could hire new people... and these new employees don't have to be creative game designers or artists which would better be suited to create new fun gaming experiences.

Conina said:
theRepublic said:

Well, they have the money... billions of dollars. The homebrew scene makes these emulators for free, a few million dollars and access to detailed hardware and software specs should speed up the process and enhance the emulation quality immensely.

It would take time, but they could have started these projects years ago, at least a year before the launch of the 3DS respectively the Wii U. And Wii-titles on Wii U or DS-titles on 3DS would take no time at all... they just have to put them on the eShop-servers and pricetag them.

It would take manpower, but that manpower does not have to take resources from other development teams. Nintendo could hire new people... and these new employees don't have to be creative game designers or artists which would better be suited to create new fun gaming experiences.

Apparently, there is not enough money to be made to justify all of those moves.  "We have billions of dollars," can't and shouldn't be used to justify any project.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The problem is we don't know Nintendo’s system over there. For all we know there either paying a large team who are pulling their hair out each week trying to get a couple Virtual Console games on the Eshop or their just letting the new guy stay late for a couple hours to upload a couple games quickly before they go home. If it’s the former they need to come up with a less overcomplicated way of doing things and if it’s the latter they need to put some more effort into it.

Each VC game has to be tested thoroughly to ensure that it hasn't any "new glitches" in the emulators they use, and it has to be rated again by ESRB, PEGI etc. Then they have to actually get the rights to third party VC games, that takes time.

And then they can't just release every game on one day because every game but Super Mario Bros. and OoT would drown in the selection. But I agree that they make it too slow, 3-5 games every week with at least a well-known good game every three weeks would be better.

Edit: On topic, SNES on 3DS eShop? I wouldn't say it's impossible now that there are already NES titles on 3DS, and there's coming GBA and DS titles for Wii U. I would love to be able to play Super Metroid on the go. But again they haven't said anything about it.

Yep.

Yes I believe the 3ds could handle SNES Emulation easily I’ve seen weaker devices run PSX emulation well. It can probably run up to N64.