By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will SNES games ever come to the 3DS eShop?

I hope so. They need to make all virtual console titles cross buy too

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
RolStoppable said:
Seeing how Virtual Console started all over again on the Wii U, it seems safe to assume that whoever coded the emulators didn't have any foresight. It wasn't too long ago that Iwata said that Nintendo plans to use the same architecture across all their systems in the future, so that should make it possible that the whole Virtual Console can be easily transfered from one Nintendo device to another. Iwata specifically mentioned Wii U, so that probably means that it will be the basis for all future Nintendo hardware. Which in turn means that the 3DS could very well be out of luck and Nintendo won't bother to add SNES games towards the end of the 3DS's lifecycle when they will have to reprogram the whole thing for their next handheld.

There's also the fact that GBA games were announced for the Wii U, but not the 3DS. This too points to the Wii U as the basis that is going to be used for all future Nintendo hardware.

Which is odd as there ae already GBA games playable on 3DS.

Likely individually emulated, though. I know Sacred Stones has no use of the "virtual console menu", while my other games do, two of which already had in-game saving so that's not the reason for the difference (Metroid II and Link's Awakening).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

ganoncrotch said:
AstroGamer said:
To get them to run natively would be complex since as getting it to run across both cores would need to reprogram the game itself. The other option is emulating the SNES architecture which the 3DS CPU clock speed isn't fast enough to on a single core.
The reason GBA is on the 3DS is that there is DS hardware in it which contains GBA hardware. This means there are no 3DS functions working in this mode so no pedometer, streetpass, suspend, miiverse, etc. as well as virtual console features like save states. It also opens ways to piracy since it opens up hardware weaknesses. Using this is a poor option for virtual console

or to be clearer of what this is....

Considering the 66/33mhz clock speeds of that original DS can tear through all but Super FX and Huge cart games like Super Street fighter 2 then to suggest that the 3ds couldn't software emulate a SNES is ludicrous.

im pretty sure the 3ds could handle doom and starfox.

Lumikki said:
Suke said:
shikamaru317 said:
I'd love to know why the DS main series Pokemon games aren't on the 3DS e-shop. It would be a simple matter considering the fact that cartridge based versions of the games are forwards compatible with the 3DS.

.....Why isn't DS games on the eShop?

The greatest mystery in the universe. 

Not really. The 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, meaning it's already capable of playing DS games, so offering them digitally aswell isn't a top priority, though I agree that they should.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
My guess is no. Although the 3DS VC is pretty strong as is.

Liar.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Lumikki said:
Suke said:
shikamaru317 said:
I'd love to know why the DS main series Pokemon games aren't on the 3DS e-shop. It would be a simple matter considering the fact that cartridge based versions of the games are forwards compatible with the 3DS.

Not really. The 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, meaning it's already capable of playing DS games, so offering them digitally aswell isn't a top priority, though I agree that they should.

Yeah, it wouldn't take too much effort for them to put at least some major titles to the eShop. 

PS2|Wii|DS lite|3DS XL|PSP|Android

There's one thing people never mention because it sounds so absurd: Did you ever consider that Nintendo maybe just doesn't have the manpower to put more games on the VC or program new emulators? It always sounded absurd to me - Nintendo making huge profits with the Wii and DS but failing to increase its workforce considerably? Doesn't make sense, right? But I think that's one of Nintendo's core problems. Look at all that stuff: Wii U games get delayed because they can't get them out in time, Wii U getting less games because they shifted support to 3DS to keep that thing selling, slow trickle of Virtual Console games, lack of N64, GBA, DS, Gamecube games, Nintendo outsourcing stuff like Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, exclusive Sonic deals to boost the line-up, Smash Bros developed by a third party studio, Retro working on Mario Kart 7 to get the game out in time...?

Nintendo wouldn't announce stuff like a GBA or DS emulator months in advance if they had a considerable number of people working on it. They wouldn't delay Wii U games if they had more people working on them. They wouldn't need to outsource stuff if they had expanded in time. They wouldn't have to drop support for their platforms after 4 years to focus on their next gen consoles if they had enough dev teams to support more than 2 platforms at once.

But maybe that's just me and I'm missing something obvious.

UncleScrooge said:

There's one thing people never mention because it sounds so absurd: Did you ever consider that Nintendo maybe just doesn't have the manpower to put more games on the VC or program new emulators? It always sounded absurd to me - Nintendo making huge profits with the Wii and DS but failing to increase its workforce considerably? Doesn't make sense, right? But I think that's one of Nintendo's core problems. Look at all that stuff: Wii U games get delayed because they can't get them out in time, Wii U getting less games because they shifted support to 3DS to keep that thing selling, slow trickle of Virtual Console games, lack of N64, GBA, DS, Gamecube games, Nintendo outsourcing stuff like Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, exclusive Sonic deals to boost the line-up, Smash Bros developed by a third party studio, Retro working on Mario Kart 7 to get the game out in time...?

Nintendo wouldn't announce stuff like a GBA or DS emulator months in advance if they had a considerable number of people working on it. They wouldn't delay Wii U games if they had more people working on them. They wouldn't need to outsource stuff if they had expanded in time. They wouldn't have to drop support for their platforms after 4 years to focus on their next gen consoles if they had enough dev teams to support more than 2 platforms at once.

But maybe that's just me and I'm missing something obvious.

No I completely agree this doesn’t just seem to be just a Nintendo problem though understaffing seems to affect other Japanese developers in comparison to western developers you can see this in various games that don't get ports onto other similarly powered consoles. Anyway what Nintendo should do is expand the team who takes care of the Virtual Console and flood it with as many games as possible which will then dramatically increase the Wii U/3DS game library’s and hopefully increase sell consoles as well.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Lumikki said:
Suke said:
shikamaru317 said:

There are many people who don't want to carry a bunch of game modules around, especially if the data size of a DS game is only a minor fraction of the free space on the 3DS-SD-card. Not giving them the option to legally buy digital versions is a wasted opportunity. Why can't people who are willing to pay for their games get the same convenience as people who just flip their R4-card with downloaded ROMs in their DS/3DS?

Steve Jobs got it right 11 years ago with the introduction of the iTunes Music store: to compete with Napster and Kazaa, they had to make the buying process as easy and convenient as possible:

Steam followed the same principles, adding great deals... more and more people were accustumed to pay for digital downloads and were happy for the bargains they made. Sony followed with PSN sales (putting the predecessors on sale is a good way to promote a new game of the same series), cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play.

With digital downloads, you are also more flexible with the pricing. Nintendo could offer DS-downloads on sale for a limited time (only one week or even one day) to promoted a new 3DS title in the series... lowering the retail price only for a limited time frame worldwide or nationwide is much more complicated.

Conina said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Lumikki said:
Suke said:
shikamaru317 said:

There are many people who don't want to carry a bunch of game modules around, especially if the data size of a DS game is only a minor fraction of the free space on the 3DS-SD-card. Not giving them the option to legally buy digital versions is a wasted opportunity. Why can't people who are willing to pay for their games get the same convenience as people who just flip their R4-card with downloaded ROMs in their DS/3DS?

Steve Jobs got it right 11 years ago with the introduction of the iTunes Music store: to compete with Napster and Kazaa, they had to make the buying process as easy and convenient as possible:

Steam followed the same principles, adding great deals... more and more people were accustumed to pay for digital downloads and were happy for the bargains they made. Sony followed with PSN sales (putting the predecessors on sale is a good way to promote a new game of the same series), cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play.

With digital downloads, you are also more flexible with the pricing. Nintendo could offer DS-downloads on sale for a limited time (only one week or even one day) to promoted a new 3DS title in the series... lowering the retail price only for a limited time frame worldwide or nationwide is much more complicated.

Honestly the Virtual console has such potential Nintendo could easily work with SEGA, SNK etc. and flood it with games from previous consoles (Wii,Gamecube,Nintendo 64,DS,Game Boy/Color, Sega Mega Drive / Genesis,Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear,Neo Geo,Neo Geo Pocket Color and Virtual Console Arcade). The thing is Nintendo aren’t the only ones who could do this, Vavle,Sony and Microsoft could partner with SEGA,SNK etc. and create their own virtual console which means Nintendo have a window of opportunity to take this market for themselves. These companies could also create their own on android and iOS as well.