By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Pictures Shutters Interactive Division, Prepare to announce layoffs in Studio Operations

_crazy_man_ said:
NiKKoM said:
Kinda awfull timing when Spiderman 2 is almost releasing.. So that division doesnt even get the chance to turn things around with a better movie.. Sad.. Kinda what happend to smaller sony game studios who underperformed sales wise..

I will be really suprised if Spiderman 2 has better ratings than the 1st.

But regardless, doesn't this kinda throw a wrench into the plans of having yearly Spiderman movies?

Well all of course depends on the succes of spiderman 2.. If its avengers level i'm pretty sure Sony will hire new people to get the spin ofs and sequels rolling.. Thats kinda the sad part for the people who are fired.. They are fired before their own "marvel movie universe" has started

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Fire the people responsible for all the box office flops? How awful!

DerNebel said:
Sony fans continue to ignore the desperate financial situation Sony is in? I'm pretty sure the fans know of the situation of Sony, what do you expect them to do? Not be happy about great sales of the PS4 or TLOU? Act as if Sony is dead already and not buy their stuff? End every post about the Playstation they make with "but Sony is in a desperate situation financially"?

Also the PS4 is not sold at a large loss, it's sold at a pretty small loss which is why Sonys gaming division managed to profit in the PS4s first quarter (the first PS to do this).

Overall your addition to the OP is pretty bad.

I like some of your ideas, but sony is in a desperate situation financially

Carl2291 said:

In which case I look forward to the day when Microsoft buys timed exclusive DLC for Uncharted.

Why timed exclusive? Sony would be a third party developer, so it's not like they'd be making games for Nintendo systems.

Yay for downsizing. So what effect does this have on Playstation? None at all you say? Ok, good then. Moving on.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Someone should do an analysis to see how long Sony will last if they continue to sell buildings and fire employees

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

VitroBahllee said:
Wow, amazing how quickly people are impugning my motivations or tone. I'm sorry Sony is in such dire financial straits and are forced to keep laying off people from their divisions, including the gaming division. I feel sorry for the hard working individuals who are put out of a job because of the company's money-losing strategies. But acting like I'm a jerk for posting this news here or that I'm somehow happy that innocent people are out of a job is uncalled for. This is news that ought to be reported, and insulting me isn't helpful.

How is what I say uncalled for? Sony sold major buildings, including their original headquarters, closed over two thirds of their US retail locations, laid off a huge amount of one of their game studios, and then a couple weeks later, this is announced. And they are still posting a multi-billion dollar loss for the year, while their hit video game console loses them a small amount of money for each system sold. Why exactly should I sugarcoat this for people who don't want to hear it?

The problem isnt the news.

People are pissy at you because youre pointing out Sony fans in the OP. Its literally the first/only thing you say on the matter. Its like youre rubbing peoples noses in it and trying to piss people off.

Carl2291 said:
EspadaGrim said:

that will never happen Sony would pull a Sega and just be a 3rd party developer.

In which case I look forward to the day when Microsoft buys timed exclusive DLC for Uncharted.

lol

badgenome said:

Why timed exclusive? Sony would be a third party developer, so it's not like they'd be making games for Nintendo systems.

You make it sound like Nintendo will still be making videogame consoles, cute.

Carl2291 said:
VitroBahllee said:
Wow, amazing how quickly people are impugning my motivations or tone. I'm sorry Sony is in such dire financial straits and are forced to keep laying off people from their divisions, including the gaming division. I feel sorry for the hard working individuals who are put out of a job because of the company's money-losing strategies. But acting like I'm a jerk for posting this news here or that I'm somehow happy that innocent people are out of a job is uncalled for. This is news that ought to be reported, and insulting me isn't helpful.

How is what I say uncalled for? Sony sold major buildings, including their original headquarters, closed over two thirds of their US retail locations, laid off a huge amount of one of their game studios, and then a couple weeks later, this is announced. And they are still posting a multi-billion dollar loss for the year, while their hit video game console loses them a small amount of money for each system sold. Why exactly should I sugarcoat this for people who don't want to hear it?

The problem isnt the news.

People are pissy at you because youre pointing out Sony fans in the OP. Its literally the first/only thing you say on the matter. Its like youre rubbing peoples noses in it and trying to piss people off.

Took the words right out of my mouth.