By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why The PS4 Is Kicking Xbox One's Arse

Tagged games:

padib said:
DucksUnlimited said:
padib said:

I read it as 100$ cheaper than the WiiU's current MSRB. So 299$ down to 199$, Wii-type pricing.

In that sense, he would be right.

Didn't really work that way for the Gamecube.

Anyway I don't think that's what he meant.

It worked that way for the Wii. The Gamecube is a bad counter-point, it was  a very differently branded console with very different content.

What he meant doesn't really matter. What really matters is what's true. And in essence, price is very important for the success of any console.

No, the Gamecube is a FAR better example than the Wii. The Wii U doesn't have the same appeal to casuals, doesn't have a killer app like Wii Sports, and is really more of a hardcore experience in general. The only major difference between the Wii U and GC is it has less advantages. GC had better multiplats and more of them, had a better early lineup and was more powerful than the dominant console. The only advantage the Wii U has is the Gamepad, which the general population clearly aren't too interested in. The idea of the Wii U at the same price doing significantly better than the GC doesn't really make sense.

While price matters, there is a lot that goes into determining a console's success, and pricing is only a small part of it. A more expensive console selling 8x as much as a cheaper one is proof of that.

Around the Network

The XBox One is not out in Japan so it's not fair to compare the two consoles you know.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

kowenicki said:
Torillian said:

if the two were the same price I thin PS4 would still be winning, if the One was 100 dollars cheaper than the PS4 I think the one would be winning, but not by as much as the PS4 is winning now and therefore those other factors are significant even if price is the largest factor.  

Now the 100,000 dollar question: Am I delusional because I disagree with you on this?

lol.  Why is this so hard?

You just AGREED with me.

IF the ONE would be winning due to it being $100 cheaper, then the other factors are CLEARLY irrelevant, because the price point renders them irrelevant. 

The statement I made could be true if Price point was anything more than 50% of the reason for the current sales difference.  95% is not required so no, I am not agreeing with you.  

I agree with him except for the part where he says that Nintendo doesnt understand indies. Well, its true they arent as good as Sony yet, but they have been MUCH better than Microsoft. They have got above a hundread indie games coming out on the Wii U.

this has been known even before xbox 1 was released. Do people here need reminder every day that PS4 is winning? it's getting old.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

You did.

You said the ONE would be ahead if it was $100 cheaper.

A back peddle to sarcasm doesnt wash.

You honestly believe the ONE wouldnt be winning if it was $100 cheaper and £60 cheaper?  It is selling 90% of the PS4 sales at $100 more in the biggest market.

Come on.

I said it would be ahead in the US. Would be ahead in the UK too. Rest of the World? Id be tempted to say PS4. 

Now the question would be, how much of a lead could they get in the 2 countries? Enough to offset the rest of the world? I dont think so. Xbox as a brand simply isnt strong enough outside of US and UK. I think things would actually be quite even on a worldwide basis. Its selling 90% of the PS4 sales at $100 more in the biggest market, while the PS4 is supply constrained.

Despite all this though, Im not sure what your gripe is. People are saying that the pricepoint is a huge advantage. Its the biggest advantage. Nobody is arguing that. People are arguing with your 95% claim. Its simply not that much of a factor, when there are so many other factors to account for that built up before and during launch.

Edit - And youre starting to sound like PS3 fans back in 2008.

kowenicki said:
OdinHades said:
kowenicki said:
Price is 95% of it.

saying anything else is delusional.

lol, sure.

you disagree?  thats a well constructed opinion piece you have there.

Unlike your, completely pulled from your ass, theory.  Amusing.

padib said:
DucksUnlimited said:
padib said:

It worked that way for the Wii. The Gamecube is a bad counter-point, it was  a very differently branded console with very different content.

What he meant doesn't really matter. What really matters is what's true. And in essence, price is very important for the success of any console.

No, the Gamecube is a FAR better example than the Wii. The Wii U doesn't have the same appeal to casuals, doesn't have a killer app like Wii Sports, and is really more of a hardcore experience in general. The only major difference between the Wii U and GC is it has less advantages. GC had better multiplats and more of them, had a better early lineup and was more powerful than the dominant console. The only advantage the Wii U has is the Gamepad, which the general population clearly aren't too interested in. The idea of the Wii U at the same price doing significantly better than the GC doesn't really make sense.

While price matters, there is a lot that goes into determining a console's success, and pricing is only a small part of it. A more expensive console selling 8x as much as a cheaper one is proof of that.

In my view, the U is much more like the Wii even if it has some 3rd party multiplats that strategy was killed a long time ago by 3rd parties themselves. What Nintendo is left with is much more of a Wii-like console than a GC-like console thanks to games like

NSMB

Nintendoland

Wii Sports Club

Art Academy U (e-shop)

Pikmin

DKC:TF

W101

SM3DW

Lego City Stories

Wii Party U

NES Remix (e-shop)

Wii Fit U

Maybe 2 of these games are Cube-ish, but when bundled with all the other more Wii-ish titles, the U is very Wii-ish: for everything except the price.

I'm glad you brought up the games. What this shows is that Nintendo was hoping for Wii-like success with the U. But when you look at actual sales, games like Wii Fit U, Wii Party U and Wii Sports Club all did very lackluster. The fact that a title as niche as Pikmin 3 is selling similarly, if not better than some of this software really shows that the audience and appeal of the Wii U is nothing like that of the Wii.

This is great, thanks OP I was getting bored, now we've got a good "debate" on our hands.

Torillian said:

if the two were the same price I thin PS4 would still be winning, if the One was 100 dollars cheaper than the PS4 I think the one would be winning, but not by as much as the PS4 is winning now and therefore those other factors are significant even if price is the largest factor.  

@$300 with Kinect, Yah I could see XB1 outselling if PS4 was $400

@$350 it would probably be even

@$400 PS4 would still be selling more

@$450 We wouldn't need Titanfall to boost sales

@500 Well...

Fact is the XB1 has a lot of holes in it. Release schedule looking like Nintendo, XB1 paywall, ResoGate, price, price+kinect, kinect localizations, post DRMFiasco, I could go on...

I didn't even notice they had no games b/w Ryse/DR3/Forza and TitanFall. Yup...despite all that talk of innovation in camera technology haven't seen much innovation in gameplay that utilizes that technology, I here KSR is coming up though wonder what's going to fill the gap b/w that and KSR2? Starting to smell like Xb 1 +359.

But fret not, once the price cut happens hopefully there be a system seller out for me to make an impulse buy, Hopefully, its Halo 5 since I don't care much for Gears anymore.

kowenicki said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
This is why I love Sterling, he tells it like it is.

Those saying its simply price are delusional. Price is a key factor, but everything else he says is spot on as well.
And if you're to thick that you can't understand, or in so much delusion that you don't want to understand allow me to explain it in idiot's terms:
The PS4 uses indie support to flesh out its library the droughts between major releases. It also adds value to the console.
The Xb1 does not.
Between KZ:SF and I:SS, PS+ has given free games on each of its platforms every month, and on the PS4 those are new indie titles. Not system sellers, but games in between system sellers.

PS+ >XBL in relative value (basically the amount you get vs the amount you pay for)
One might argue that XBL gives you youtube and netflix, but the fact that these service require live mean that the cost more to use on XB1 than on PS4.

Even at the same price, the PS4 is still cheaper than the XB1.
And the added value of XB1 features are ironically made extraneous by the very devices they aimed to replace.
CIP, Its easier and cheaper to use Youtube with your smart tv rather than on the XB1 connected to it.

1.  did you just call me thick?

2.  what drought?  I haven't had one. 

1. Well, I don't remember stating anyones name, It was addressed in general but if you choose to identify yourself with the description then that is your perogative.

2. Oh I'm sorry I'm mistaken, remind me again what XB1 exclusives came out in January or Febuary? December perhaps?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I honestly think that a 400$ XBone and a 500$ PS4 would sell about the same amount .

The PlayStation brand may not be what it was after the PS2 but Sony gained a lot of goodwill with PS+, their progressive indie stance etc......and the XBox brand took a huge blow in 2013.