By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan Developers Don't Get US Gamers

Xen said:
osed125 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
I would swear Xenoblade was written by a western author. Very relatable. Many FF games are too - 4 and 6 in particular.

He brought up a very interesting point (although he didn't go into much detail because he wants to make an episode about it), that all FF games 8 and forward are basically made for an Otaku mentality. I look forward to that episode if he makes it.

How are IX or X in any way for an Otaku mentality?

Don't know, just quoting what he said. Never played those games in their entirety so I can't make any comments. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
fuck getting the west... there are enough western studios for that... why would i want 2 exact thing. i like variety. you dont want to play games that would generally cater "japanese" market? then play the games that western studios get you. why are people so against variety. its amazing.

He talk about it in a different video. But as we western gamers complain about the lack of variety, the Japanese do the same. The amount of rhythm games in Japan is ridiculous, if you are complaining about too many FPS in the west you never been to Japan. The amount of Visual Novels and Dating Simulators is also ridiculous. 

Probably that's the reason why lately western games have seen a lot of popularity in Japan (GTA V and Battlefield 4 have sold really well), maybe Japanese gamers are just tired of the same type of games. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
You can say the same about the West, they doesn't get Japan either. Look at Microsoft for example with Xbox, the OG and 360 sold next to nothing there and MS might not even release the One in Japan. Like the other here saying developers should just be themselves and make the games they want to make not worry about having to make the game appeal to average dude bro who plays COD, see RE6 for what I mean when a Japanese developer sells out their creative vision.

No not really, japan is just very anti things not japanese.  car electronics what ever.

It's still funny that people actually believe this.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

aikohualda said:
fuck getting the west... there are enough western studios for that... why would i want 2 exact thing. i like variety. you dont want to play games that would generally cater "japanese" market? then play the games that western studios get you. why are people so against variety. its amazing.

I really don't think it's about being opposed to variety. It seems more like an attempt to diagnose why Japan is hemorrhaging relevance. To some extent that was bound to happen as other countries came into their own as hotbeds of game development. Japan's complete dominance was sort of a historical fluke that couldn't last forever. But they didn't have to fall as far and as fast as they did, and it seems - at least to me - that they have done so because of a loss of confidence causing them to respond poorly to the changing market: while some Japanese developers have ham handedly tried to westernize their games and/or farm out their IPs to western developers, others have turned dangerously inward and focus solely on the stereotypical moe/waifu-obsessed otaku. Neither strategy is a recipe for success, and the latter is as off-putting to many Japanese gamers and would be gamers as it is to westerners.

outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
You can say the same about the West, they doesn't get Japan either. Look at Microsoft for example with Xbox, the OG and 360 sold next to nothing there and MS might not even release the One in Japan. Like the other here saying developers should just be themselves and make the games they want to make not worry about having to make the game appeal to average dude bro who plays COD, see RE6 for what I mean when a Japanese developer sells out their creative vision.

No not really, japan is just very anti things not japanese.  car electronics what ever.

Its funny people deny facts.  Japan is japan centric, probbaly them most for any advanced modern free nation with high wealth and eductaion.  Sure ther are plenty worse but most of those are ruled by religious wack jobs. 

Around the Network
BeElite said:
outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

Its funny people deny facts.  Japan is japan centric, probbaly them most for any advanced modern free nation with high wealth and eductaion.  Sure ther are plenty worse but most of those are ruled by religious wack jobs. 

Yes, but they're aren't anti-consumer towards non-Japanese companies. There are several huge western companies they have strong holds on their market in Japan (McDonalds, KFC, Apple, etc.), and that's because they do a much better job of catering to that market. Something that MS half-assed with the 360 at the beginning of last gen and gave up by year 3 or so.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

Yes, but they're aren't anti-consumer towards non-Japanese companies. There are several huge western companies they have strong holds on their market in Japan (McDonalds, KFC, Apple, etc.), and that's because they do a much better job of catering to that market. Something that MS half-assed with the 360 at the beginning of last gen and gave up by year 3 or so.

Infact if I see another Pizza Hut ad in my Japanese Anime I will hit someone. 

outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

He's right though. Games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and GTAV didn't do well in Japan, it was just a case of mass hallucination.

OT: Japanese developers did a good job catering to the western gamer before they started thinking about catering to the western gamer. But then they drank from the Idiot Spring and began making games that the western market wanted but not really wanted at all.

forest-spirit said:
outlawauron said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

He's right though. Games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and GTAV didn't do well in Japan, it was just a case of mass hallucination.

OT: Japanese developers did a good job catering to the western gamer before they started thinking about catering to the western gamer. But then they drank from the Idiot Spring and began making games that the western market wanted but not really wanted at all.

In video games I agree, Japan doesn't like most western games, but neither do I tbh. Like, over 70% are mindless shooters. In other cases, Japan is in no way against non Japanese things. Just because a country supports its culture and companies doesn't mean it rejects other cultures. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

the problem is designing a game while having "markets" in mind - that always fails

making a game that the devs themselves have fun playing is the recipe for success