By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan Developers Don't Get US Gamers

Pibituh said:
Acevil said:
zarx said:
and that's what we like about them

I think the problem is that they are trying to hard to cater towards western audience and forgetting what made them so unique.

Exactly.
If they don't concern about western type of games that much, they'll pull out great games. Instead of throwing an entire franchise into garbage.

These guys are on the right track. Team Ninja head made a great analogy recently. West is a burger and Japan is sushi. I dont want a burger from my sushi place.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Devil_Survivor said:
You can say the same about the West, they doesn't get Japan either. Look at Microsoft for example with Xbox, the OG and 360 sold next to nothing there and MS might not even release the One in Japan. Like the other here saying developers should just be themselves and make the games they want to make not worry about having to make the game appeal to average dude bro who plays COD, see RE6 for what I mean when a Japanese developer sells out their creative vision.

If MS wanted to do much better in Japan they would simply have to buy major support regularly, but that simply isn't a worthwhile eandeavor. Buying western exclusives appeals to a wider audience.

Sony does nothing really to appeal to the Japanese audience, they simply rely on 3rd parties. People in Japan buy Playstation consoles because they know its going to get the best 3rd party support. Sony knows that as well, so they cater to western audiences.

Why shouldn't MS release the X1 in Japan? What other countries would you like to deprive of the X1? Its going to be available in many.

Didn't MS try to get Japanese exclusives at least early on? So either Japanese gamers weren't interested or MS gave up too easy, its probably the latter.  Sony the advangate of being a Japanese company , and as you said they are really the only game in town for 3rd party games, however a lot of those games are Japanese which what we are talking here; what appeals to a certain audience, and Sony turns their internal development towards Western games.    

I never said MS should "deprive" anyone of the Xbox One, even Japan. I only said they might not release it in Japan because of the past histoy of Xbox and the general preception that Japanese people don't like to buy foriegn products. 

BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
You can say the same about the West, they doesn't get Japan either. Look at Microsoft for example with Xbox, the OG and 360 sold next to nothing there and MS might not even release the One in Japan. Like the other here saying developers should just be themselves and make the games they want to make not worry about having to make the game appeal to average dude bro who plays COD, see RE6 for what I mean when a Japanese developer sells out their creative vision.

No not really, japan is just very anti things not japanese.  car electronics what ever.

You know that's funny, because the Iphone has the biggest smart phone in Japan and that's an American phone.....

Fuuny is your sentance makes no sense 

reality is they are a very fadish people they jump on stuff hard but show me overall japan cell sales ?  id wager a guess majority are Japanese brands. 

I edited my post after you saw it to say " smart phone market share", btw you spelled funny wrong lol. 

What evidence have you shown to back anything your saying about Japanese consumers? Your just repeating seterotypes that people have about the consumer in Japan. Apple has 60 percent of the market for smartphones, and there their is other products  like the iPad. They are many products I could name they sell well in Japan that are not from there.

Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

No not really, japan is just very anti things not japanese.  car electronics what ever.

You know that's funny, because the Iphone has the biggest smart phone in Japan and that's an American phone.....

reality is they are a very fadish people they jump on stuff hard but show me overall japan cell sales ?  id wager a guess majority are Japanese brands. 

I edited my post after you saw it to say " smart phone market share", btw you spelled funny wrong lol. 

What evidence have you shown to back anything your saying about Japanese consumers? Your just repeating seterotypes that people have about the consumer in Japan. Apple has 60 percent of the market for smartphones, and there their is other products  like the iPad. They are many products I could name they sell well in Japan that are not from there.

LoL how about western made games this being a game site, western made console.

Might want to look up car sales and how phobic they are to non japanese cars, only exceptions being exotics and high end luxery.

Any products thats not an Apple ? as i said japan loves fads, they eat up fads pushed by apple.  No surprise there. 

well the FPS market is flooded already so they don't need to understand.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:

Didn't MS try to get Japanese exclusives at least early on? So either Japanese gamers weren't interested or MS gave up too easy, its probably the latter.  Sony the advangate of being a Japanese company , and as you said they are really the only game in town for 3rd party games, however a lot of those games are Japanese which what we are talking here; what appeals to a certain audience, and Sony turns their internal development towards Western games.    

I never said MS should "deprive" anyone of the Xbox One, even Japan. I only said they might not release it in Japan because of the past histoy of Xbox and the general preception that Japanese people don't like to buy foriegn products. 

360 did get some good Japanese exclusives early on and surely that's the reason 360 sold significantly better than the original Xbox in Japan.

Sony dominated Japan, but that country accounts for a relatively small percentage of console sales. That's not a market really worth going after. If the X1 can sell a million units in Japan, great. MS's focus should be in the west and that's where Sony's interest is as well.

I misread what you said. My mistake.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

LoL how about western made games this being a game site, western made console.

Might want to look up car sales and how phobic they are to non japanese cars, only exceptions being exotics and high end luxery.

Any products thats not an Apple ? as i said japan loves fads, they eat up fads pushed by apple.  No surprise there. 

That's games lol, what about everything else? With cars, isnt it cheaper to buy your own country cars since there are build in that country? So are you really surprised they buy their own cars in greater numbers? I live in Korea, and its the same way here, they by far prefer their own cars mostly because they are cheaper then imports even the non-luxary  ones. That's not the best example.

Well sweets like Kit-Kat are really popular in Japan, all the American Fast Food chains there, American movies, Starbucks, and much more if I searched hard enough.

BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:
BeElite said:
Devil_Survivor said:

The i-phone is really an interesting case that shows why japanese brand fails outside Japan, and why japanese like japanese products and why some japanese brands are ultimately failing.

The japanese featurephone (phone with internet capabilities) was tailor-made for japanese consumer. Electronic wallet, secure (no javascript, virus, ect.), extreme good battery life (a week), very fast, service for seism alerts, reliable, 1 seg TV, waterproof, vast range of device styles, light, small, hard to break, custom decorations, etc. made by incremental updates based on clients needs. After years of this process it came to be very near to be the perfect match for client needs.

So the market was very closed to foreigner brand that could not produce such a quality, such a fit between offer and japanese client needs. And it was not really possible to sell it outside Japan for japanese product, because lots of service or needs didn't even exist.

Then came Apple, who doesn't know and doesn't give a shit about the japanese client needs. They had 1 new product to rules them all. And the japanese clients threw away their japanese mobile phone, and Apple took the market lion share.

That's a very famous example of what japanese call galapagos. That's currently very hard for japanese companies to make this jump from a predictable, secured and somewhat lucrative but shrinking and specific japanese market to the worldwide market where rules are differents. That's where are lots of companies are fighting with, and that's a reason why Japanese market is so closed (but not unbreakable as per iphone example).

The core might be true but I think he is exaggerating a bit considering he is probably a US citizen and we all know what their opinion on the rest of the world is. Not saying all of them but at least the conservatives which make up a really big part of the population. Same can be said for other countries that have a much less unique culture. Do western developers understand the Japanese? It's really a one sided argument, the only difference being that the west isn't as dependent on Japan as the other way around.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Classic example of Nintendo fans making anti sony threads. If this were the opposite the person would be banned for anti Nintendo post. What a joke.